4 hours ago, Fugu said:

Can’t say, never had a legit one ... 😂.

Just kidding. Wonderful cigar. In my opinion less strength than the rest of the Classic line (with the exception of the CoRo perhaps), but with depth and a richness. But it’s >3 yrs that I had my last one. Perhaps @JohnS might jump in, as I know he loves them, and I mean I recall he had a few ORs as well.

Depth and richness...yes, this sums up the Cohiba Piramides Extra quite nicely. I have 3 sticks left  and another original releases, unopened box on hand, acquired when they appreciated in price in the mid-2010s. Now, I wouldn't want to imagine what they go for. The 'Extra' wasn't just about the larger dimensions. In my view, they were always 'fuller' in body and so ideal for long-term aging.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

The original photo is PCC stock. 100% ridgy didge.;)

Every other aspect of the box and cigars is perfect.  

It just goes to show how difficult it is to assess authenticity from band anomalies. 

The cap looks kinda off though, each stick is different. 

* never mind I meant the Maduro ones. Not OP. 

Edited by Arabian

42 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

It just goes to show how difficult it is to assess authenticity from band anomalies. 

Indeed, source is much more important than any physical characteristics these days. I'd take a box from a trusted source with 3 red flags over a perfect box from an unknown source.

Such are the times. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, gormag38 said:

True. But it was my understanding that they are applied on the island. (which I could be mistaken). But I very highly doubt they're going to throw out/not apply bands due minor variations on a printer in Europe. 

It isn’t any printer. I believe the Dutch company is a top-notch printing company. Why would the Cubans hire them if they make minor mistakes. They could’ve done that on the island lol. Seriously thou, how come the Cubans can’t print their own labels!.

Lets not forget who we're talking abo

9 hours ago, Arabian said:

Why would the Cubans hire them if they make minor mistakes

Let's not forget who we're talking about here...

I live in Canada and I've seen a lot of Canadian Cohiba with off center taino head. I am of the opinion that off center taino head isn't a sure sign of fake Cohiba.

Anything is possible with CCs, my friend had bought fake montecristo no.4s from LCDH in Cuba. It was a sealed box with receipt too. Some sticks from the box didn't smoke right and he dissected those. He found 5 sticks with short filler at the end.

5 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The original photo is PCC stock. 100% ridgy didge.;)

Every other aspect of the box and cigars is perfect.  

Anyone else just Google "ridgy didge"? I for one will be using this from now on. Much cooler sounding then just saying "real", or "authentic" lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Shawn4212 said:

Anyone else just Google "ridgy didge"? I for one will be using this from now on. Much cooler sounding then just saying "real", or "authentic" lol

At a glance, I figured it was something related to a Didgeridoo.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Arabian said:

It isn’t any printer. I believe the Dutch company is a top-notch printing company. Why would the Cubans hire them if they make minor mistakes. They could’ve done that on the island lol. Seriously thou, how come the Cubans can’t print their own labels!.

As with almost all mass-produced things there is a margin of error or spectrum of acceptable variations. Vrijdag is certainly a top-notch outfit but I've seen many cases of minor imperfections with Vrijdag bands over the years. 

As far as keeping the bands in-house Cuba probably couldn't get the capital for the equipment needed to print bands at that quality level not to mention the difficulty they have in obtaining supplies and materials. They still do print many of the more basic bands like SP and possibly the basic Dip, LFDC, SC and VR although they might outsource those as well to an outfit that's cheaper than Vrijdag. 

What I'm most shocked by is that Cuba has actually paid their bills to Vrijdag and they haven't screwed them over yet. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

As with almost all mass-produced things there is a margin of error or spectrum of acceptable variations. Vrijdag is certainly a top-notch outfit but I've seen many cases of minor imperfections with Vrijdag bands over the years. 

As far as keeping the bands in-house Cuba probably couldn't get the capital for the equipment needed to print bands at that quality level not to mention the difficulty they have in obtaining supplies and materials. They still do print many of the more basic bands like SP and possibly the basic Dip, LFDC, SC and VR although they might outsource those as well to an outfit that's cheaper than Vrijdag. 

What I'm most shocked by is that Cuba has actually paid their bills to Vrijdag and they haven't screwed them over yet. 

How about the lithograph paper that is glued onto the dress boxes? Same company as the bands?

12 minutes ago, SCgarman said:

How about the lithograph paper that is glued onto the dress boxes? Same company as the bands?

Good question. I doubt it's Vrijdag producing that except in special cases. The box dressing printing hasn't changed much for most CCs in a very long time so I wouldn't be shocked if Cuba is doing that. They are making most of the boxes but it appears they aren't doing the luxury boxes and they weren't doing the tins for the Linea Retros either. 

Just whip out your microscope Just look for the "super microprint." I bought a little pocket microscope off amazon just for this. If that microprint is there, it's REAL, lol. I feel comfortable saying that the counterfeiters will never replicate those bands...

2 minutes ago, Baccy said:

Just whip out your microscope Just look for the "super microprint." I bought a little pocket microscope off amazon just for this. If that microprint is there, it's REAL, lol. I feel comfortable saying that the counterfeiters will never replicate those bands...

Bands as well as every other "security feature" are being perfectly duplicated as we speak. The only way to ascertain authenticity today is provenance/source. 

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Bands as well as every other "security feature" are being perfectly duplicated as we speak. The only way to ascertain authenticity today is provenance/source. 

What kind of printers would they need to print something that tiny though? I mean it's literally microscopic... Surely not any normal printer that you buy in any retail store. Of course I'm no expert on printers. I would just imagine it would be a super expensive printer.

1 hour ago, Baccy said:

What kind of printers would they need to print something that tiny though? I mean it's literally microscopic... Surely not any normal printer that you buy in any retail store. Of course I'm no expert on printers. I would just imagine it would be a super expensive printer.

I guess you haven't been to China.. :wink2:

17 hours ago, Arabian said:

The Dutch company must have been control on who gets the labels than if they were printed in Cuba or the like.

I suspect the vast majority of cigar smokers could not determine authenticity by simply smoking it. More would rip one open and look for cuttings. But in the end, if it came from here, it's legit. 

If I were buying Cohiba, only place I would trust is our host. There are big time operations now making bank counterfeiting Cohiba. At current box prices, some at well over 2K, there is serious money at stake. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SCgarman said:

If I were buying Cohiba, only place I would trust is our host. There are big time operations now making bank counterfeiting Cohiba. At current box prices, some at well over 2K, there is serious money at stake. 

I hear you! I stopped buying Gucci on Canal St.

4 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I hear you!  I stopped buying Gucci on Canal St.

I wonder if the guy in the white van that used to sell designer bags and watches in the parking lots around here sells CC now 😬

43 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

I wonder if the guy in the white van that used to sell designer bags and watches in the parking lots around here sells CC now 😬

Esplendidos. How many boxes u like? I have a friend of a friend who works at El Laguito!🤣

• Haha 1