EAR= Email Assistance Required. 

One for the Cohiba experts :thumbsup:

"I received my last order of Cohibas Robustos, and of course I had to open and take a look at the goodies.
But after close inspection I noticed that the bands (Taino Indian head) are not where I would expect, now I must say that even though I’ve been smoking for years I’m no expert. But from what I’ve read the Taino head is suppose to be evenly placed and with an even white border around it.

I’m still new to this group, and I just need help to understand if my mind is just slipping and there is nothing wrong or did these slip through the cracks?

I hope you don’t take my email the wrong way, I’m just confirming that my investment is 100% what is expected."

Taino.png

Not a good sign. If that's the only red flag that turns up after a thorough examination of the box then maybe it's a printing variation but an off-center Taino head is a classic indication of a fake Cohiba band. 

Can’t sugar coat this: it’s not a good sign. Anything is possible, but as NSX says an offset head is one of the classic red flags on Cohiba. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBirdman said:

Can’t sugar coat this: it’s not a good sign. Anything is possible, but as NSX says an offset head is one of the classic red flags on Cohiba. 

Honestly any Cohiba purchased from anything other than a gold standard vendor is just as likely to be fake than not. With that in mind I don't think any aberration or imperfection on a Cohiba can be tolerated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing in printing is perfect. That would pass QC imho. Did he run the numbers?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

Just another example of buy your buyer. I wouldn't consider buying any Cohibas from anyone but here. 

Am I reading this wrong or is the implication that these did come from here, hence the email to Prez? 

• Like 1

Maybe I read it wrong. if the cigar in the picture was sold from here, I'd question as well - but at least I'd trust the response. However, on the other hand, I can see why Prez is moving in the direction he is. 

7 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

Just another example of buy your buyer. I wouldn't consider buying any Cohibas from anyone but here. 

The way I read the email was that he did indeed purchase the sticks from FOH. But again, I could be reading it wrong as well. 

17 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Not a good sign. If that's the only red flag that turns up after a thorough examination of the box then maybe it's a printing variation but an off-center Taino head is a classic indication of a fake Cohiba band. 

Agreed that it's usually an easy tell tale sign of a fake. With that being said, I've purchased Cohiba from here (and other legit LCDH) that have had off centered tainos; printing issues do arise and we know that it is Cuba qc after all.

These are Secretos purchased from ours truly a few years back. 

1.jpg.b17a638a20e6903c876055a195e63ff7.jpg

2.jpg.34f970034e5a00c8bb6451b7320b0fef.jpg

5 hours ago, gormag38 said:

It is Cuba qc after all.

While I concur with your conclusion, these bands are not printed on the island.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Not at all unusual. Seen such many times before in unquestionably legit stock (local distribution channel). It’s not a frequent occurrence but also not too uncommon that the Taino-gilding is a bit off-center. Apart from that I don’t spot anything unusual in the pic. Don’t know how many ‘Ibas you guys are smoking, but there’s nothing to see here IMO. At least nothing that would let me question authenticity (while - mind you - not saying it is, simply judging from the pic).

Funny, I’ve always purchased from 100% trusted sources so I never spent much time pouring over my Cohiba. First one I pulled out is a Siglo II from a stellar box and sure enough the head is more off center than any of the above pictures! Camera is acting up, I’ll post it later. A quick check of some other boxes shows normal Tainos. Love how you keep learning in this hobby even after years. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fugu said:

These bands are not printed on the island.

True. But it was my understanding that they are applied on the island. (which I could be mistaken). But I very highly doubt they're going to throw out/not apply bands due minor variations on a printer in Europe. 

18 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

Funny, I’ve always purchased from 100% trusted sources so I never spent much time pouring over my Cohiba. First one I pulled out is a Siglo II from a stellar box and sure enough the head is more off center than any of the above pictures!

Yep, seems most of the time we’re just not paying much attention, in particular if our procurement derives from reliable sources.

Here’s a nice one for you guys, I hadn’t have to look hard for it to track one down: Who would’ve thought - original release CPE 😅

93A6E636-07E3-4F65-BA11-4E260B41073E.jpeg.bae6bde23156db8a9c65d4e7afc8aadd.jpeg

5C349C17-3D56-40CD-B0CD-2E8005AE4268.jpeg.1fa57a5d9057236eaa242df31c29d04f.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Fugu said:

Yep, seems most of the time we’re just not paying much attention, in particular if our procurement derives from reliable sources.

Here’s a nice one for you guys, I hadn’t have to look hard for it to track one down: Who would’ve thought - original release CPE 😅

Yep, and my box is from 2019 so it’s not a new thing. 

That head is a doozy, I thought mine was bad. 
299F4F8A-5D24-4A41-ABF2-F2BE40451805.jpeg.f319ea4e6b9383fc057d78e953d2aac3.jpeg

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, gormag38 said:

True. But it was my understanding that they are applied on the island. (which I could be mistaken). But I very highly doubt they're going to throw out/not apply bands due minor variations on a printer in Europe. 

Exactly, banded on the Island, and you bet the bloke/gal banding the sticks wouldn’t bother for a second, while trying to fulfil their daily quota *. While QC will simply ignore it (well it’s all there, innit?), and they know the band is legit. 😄

* Would cost them time, since the bands are counted and they cannot simply discard by themselves, but had to check with the supervisor.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Fugu said:

original release CPE 😅

Not to get off topic, but how are these? I have a couple singles from the OR that I have been stashing. Haven't heard much from folks on how they are. 

3 minutes ago, gormag38 said:

Not to get off topic, but how are these? I have a couple singles from the OR that I have been stashing. Haven't heard much from folks on how they are. 

Can’t say, never had a legit one ... 😂.

Just kidding. Wonderful cigar. In my opinion less strength than the rest of the Classic line (with the exception of the CoRo perhaps), but with depth and a richness. But it’s >3 yrs that I had my last one. Perhaps @JohnS might jump in, as I know he loves them, and I mean I recall he had a few ORs as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I've never spent anytime scrutinizing the bands or boxes from any Cohiba's I've owned. 

"Ignorance is bliss."

"If you don't want trouble, don't go looking for it..." 

• Like 2

I wish I could find it again, but I remember coming across a photo of a Cohiba band on the official Habanos website that showed a very similar misalignment to all the examples being posted here. This alone is definitely not a sure sign of foul play.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like the fakers will have to introduce an element of random misalignment for the taino head?

“Can’t be real - head is perfectly centred” 😅

• Haha 3