Favorite sipping rums

Pmo13

Over the past few years I’ve moved away from pairing whiskey with my sticks and more towards soda (shoutout Dr. Pepper) and rum. Being from New England, rum culture up here is really strong, and we have some great distilleries i.e. Privateer, Rumsons, GrandTen etc.. 

Figured I’d pose the question to you all, of what is your go-to rum if you’re sipping and or pairing with a cigar. I typically reach for either the “Queens Share” from Privateer, or what I’ve really been leaning on lately, the “Seleccion de Maestros” from Havana Club. The latter I need to either head out of the country or order in asap, because I’m nearly out. Just an absolutely phenomenal sipper.

I’ll also open it up to cocktails as I’m a Cuba Libre diehard.

IMG_7411.webp.39c51aee3ff546162575cd4d1d97be28.webpIMG_7413.jpeg.56230f6a0924857311b5bc59df09351c.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pmo13 said:

...Being from New England, rum culture up here is really strong, and we have some great distilleries i.e. Privateer, Rumsons, GrandTen etc.. 

I’ll also open it up to cocktails as I’m a Cuba Libre diehard.

There's only one rum cocktail that matters in New England. Scorpion Bowl.

• Like 1

Inexpensive with a cigar, Papas Pilar.  Zacapa 23 if wanting something a little more expensive. I don’t go beyond that point at the enjoyment does not go up with the price from there due to my dull palate.  

On 2/6/2024 at 6:33 PM, Ken Gargett said:

huge fan of foursquare. just been doing a piece on rums. lot of good ones around - Appleton 21, Pussers, el dorado 15 and 21, flor de cana 12 but i also love the older examples. so many more. 

Have to keep in mind that different countries do rum differently. The Caribbean vs. Central America offer very different profiles. Even within Caribbean, Haiti, Cuba, PR, and Jamaica are all slightly different styles. As a whole, I find Central America to have the most appealing dark rums and best value for aged spirits.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...