Deep Dive: Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill

El Presidente

Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill   

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was at the launch of the Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill in 2006 (great launch at the Gran Teatro de la Habana followed by cigar tasting at the Capitolio).  Grand days they were! The future was bright :D

This Robusto caused quite a stir upon release as it was to lead the turnaround in the fortunes of the famed Romeo y Julieta marque which had suffered after the closure of its factory 2 years prior. 

• Do you like  Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a  Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill 
  • Do the poll!

Let's talk Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill    :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES

Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill Aged JUL 18.jpg

• Like 1

Probably Cuba's worst Robusto. Yes, the Monte Master is usually the worst but this has the ability to beat it at times. At best it's about as good as an Ex 4.

Inconsistency abound with these. Very low ceiling anyway. Will never impress anyone. Should be put out of its misery. The Ex 4 can handle this area just fine. 

• Like 3

I'll get puffs of absolute greatness and if they were at 2018 prices I'd keep chasing a good box, but it is hands down, the worst constructed cigar I've tried to smoke. 2 10 count boxes, a 6er. I think i got one that wasn't so badly underfilled that i could pinch it to smoke half. Swore them off at current price, but damn do i want to find a great one. Flashes of promise!

10 minutes ago, SmokyFontaine said:

I'll get puffs of absolute greatness and if they were at 2018 prices I'd keep chasing a good box, but it is hands down, the worst constructed cigar I've tried to smoke. 2 10 count boxes, a 6er. I think i got one that wasn't so badly underfilled that i could pinch it to smoke half. Swore them off at current price, but damn do i want to find a great one. Flashes of promise!

They're inconsistent in all regards including construction. I think they must have the trainees work on these since it's clear they're not putting much effort into any other aspect. 

The positive to negative ratio on these is just unreal. You might get a third of a cigar out of a box that's enjoyable and then you spend the rest of your life chasing that but the problem is there has never been a great SC start to finish ever made. 

Stick with the Ex 4 or Churchill. 

• Like 4

90 minutes from New York to Paris. Another try at greatness. Never got this one.

7 hours ago, karp said:

Yep, and also the Petit Royales are surprisingly good. I’d smoke half a dozen other robustos before this one..

I'm actually preferring the Petit Churchills lately. Recent PCs have been much more balanced than the PR. PR can be a little rough around the edges. PCs were also pretty inconsistent but the last 2 years have been excellent.

Not that I'm a big RyJ fan generally but honestly if I had to drop coin on an RyJ today I would probably pick the Petit Churchills. And that's picking from ALL RyJ. 

On 11/24/2022 at 3:05 PM, El Presidente said:

Great blend that nailed the market want.

I will actually agree that I think the blend, on paper, is quite good. They just for whatever reason can't execute it. The fact that so many people have a good one and continually try and chase it is evidence of that. I agree, I've had some wonderful puffs from SCs but a few puffs don't cut it. If they could pull this cigar off it would absolutely be the best RyJ hands down. This cigar is a microcosm of the struggles of the entire marca. 

Like others have said, in theory, great concept but in reality I never really had a mind-blowing experience with these. For what it is, a decently priced robusto, good 2nd or 3rd, background cigar then it's not too bad, and they're certainly popular. I would try a 10 box or tubos instead of the 25 box though. Somehow they seem a bit better.

On 11/24/2022 at 3:41 AM, JohnS said:

Stick with the Ex 4 or Churchill. 

I have had very inconsistent results from the Churchill tubos I've smoked recently as well. Al box dates 2019 or newer. Smoked 4 or 5 and had burn issues frequently . Some great flavors in there.... But not as consistent as I expected. 

21 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I'm actually preferring the Petit Churchills lately. Recent PCs have been much more balanced than the PR.

I’ve been smoking a lot of these and the Royales while I’m in Switzerland. Both are pretty good. Petit Churchill maybe a bit more flavourful and complex. It’s a funny vitola though, not that small and not big enough if you know what I mean.

• Like 2

Consistently inconsistent. I've sampled quite a few over the years and they've always been all over the place. The rosado wrappers are indeed the ones to seek out but they are very uncommon and even then I've never been wowed.

Ex4 usually provides a much better experience.

• Like 1

I much have been lucky because I've found these consistent over a few boxes. Cream, cedar and that 'cherry'. Just medium bodied. Not overly complex but tasty. Agree that there are better robustos/petit robustos out there. I also like the wide churchills a lot.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Hmmm, that’s funny, can’t relate to that SC bashing whatsoever. It’s one of the few of the great many new(er) cigars I do actually smoke. I like the rich blend. Don’t smoke it often, but when, it’s sort of a change of pace, with its lush sweetness. ‘Schwarzwälder Kirsch’ in spades. Didn’t incur any higher than “usual“ rate of inconsistencies to speak of. Seems I just got lucky. (or picked the right boxes).

I will make 3 observations:

1. Whenever SC appear on 24:24, they sell out immediately. I always miss them.

2. They were recommended by a female cigar sommelier in London in an article I read recently as the perfect introductory cigar. I can't remember where she works - somewhere like Annabel's. Anyone recall?

3. I just bought ten in Mexico City last week and they are almost all fabulous (one tunneled) - dark, oily wrappers and that sweet chocolatey richness that some of you have commented on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, patrickamory said:

I will make 3 observations:

1. Whenever SC appear on 24:24, they sell out immediately. I always miss them.

2. They were recommended by a female cigar sommelier in London in an article I read recently as the perfect introductory cigar. I can't remember where she works - somewhere like Annabel's. Anyone recall?

3. I just bought ten in Mexico City last week and they are almost all fabulous (one tunneled) - dark, oily wrappers and that sweet chocolatey richness that some of you have commented on.

Sya? Why is she giving out these secrets? Words due 😛

• Like 1