CoRo with Dark Wrapper...whaddya say?

Digi

Had a box of CoRo land yesterday!  Interestingly, I haven't put eyes on a box of the vitola with wrappers this dark.  Curious for those that have run across very dark CoRo - how do they smoke?  Do they tend to need extra time like others with darker wrappers?  Generally speaking I prefer pale wrappers so the debate will be do I stash the box for resell in 3 to 5 or enjoy them over time.

IMG_2401.jpeg.9fdca38f39a146e5009c53f5f8e2617e.jpeg

IMG_2402.jpeg.b872ee8129880c7faae0d2ac2b7855b8.jpeg

IMG_2404.jpeg.4bc31946cc933290a4939abcd814ae74.jpeg

On 8/31/2022 at 4:41 AM, Digi said:

Had a box of CoRo land yesterday!  Interestingly, I haven't put eyes on a box of the vitola with wrappers this dark.  Curious for those that have run across very dark CoRo - how do they smoke?  Do they tend to need extra time like others with darker wrappers?  Generally speaking I prefer pale wrappers so the debate will be do I stash the box for resell in 3 to 5 or enjoy them over time.

Those will be terrible.  I’ve had a good month, how about I give you 50 cents on the dollar for them?  Feeling generous 

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2022 at 5:47 AM, rcarlson said:

I've had some uber dark CoRos that were stellar.  

I did a post on this a couple years back: 

I remember that thread.  Don’t ever recall seeing if you’d smoked one, so glad to hear they were terrific.  Can’t say I’ve had one that dark, but have had several approaching Colorado maduro.  For me the flavor profile was definitely changed, but all were delicious.  I remember being very conflicted, like, it was so damn good but not what I paid for.  Like going out for lobster but had to get prime steaks instead.

In hindsight I’d love to try again, because I remember it being very unique, but sadly/happily I burned them all a couple years back..  

16 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

I remember that thread.  Don’t ever recall seeing if you’d smoked one, so glad to hear they were terrific.  Can’t say I’ve had one that dark, but have had several approaching Colorado maduro.  For me the flavor profile was definitely changed, but all were delicious.  I remember being very conflicted, like, it was so damn good but not what I paid for.  Like going out for lobster but had to get prime steaks instead.

In hindsight I’d love to try again, because I remember it being very unique, but sadly/happily I burned them all a couple years back..  

Yeah, surprisingly the best batch of CoRo I've ever had.  I remember they were unusually creamy and rich.  Would go for a box of them first, if I had a choice.  Totally unexpected.  

I have a box that are very dark and they're young but amazing.  Stronger then the lighter version. Had a few but now coffining the rest of the next 3-5 years.  

1 hour ago, rcarlson said:

Yeah, surprisingly the best batch of CoRo I've ever had.  I remember they were unusually creamy and rich.  Would go for a box of them first, if I had a choice.  Totally unexpected.  

You had me at creamy, I miss that characteristic in CoRos, seems like I haven’t had that lately.  

Those CoRo look great to me, but for my taste they will need 3-5 years post boxing to settle. Young dark Cohiba usually taste bitter to me. But with enough age, you can get a more intense expression of the classic candied citrus and honey sweetness. I’ve had A+ examples of dark CoRo, Espy and Sig IV in the last year or so, but all after a decent rest. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wheel, unfortunately these are not legitimate CoRo.  The vendor was outted today on Reddit and have confirmed a supplier mixed in fakes with real boxes boxes of Siglo IV and CoRo.  Based on the thread, folks with other sticks from this vendor are finding the same issues the Behike and Trinidad.  Will post up some pics later today to help other identify these  - also going to review the dozen or so boxes I have from this vendor.

I am not going to post the vendor name without admin approval but, if you're curious, check out Reddit's CubanCigar sub or send me a PM.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Digi said:

Wheel, unfortunately these are not legitimate CoRo.  The vendor was outted today on Reddit and have confirmed a supplier mixed in fakes with real boxes boxes of Siglo IV and CoRo.  Based on the thread, folks with other sticks from this vendor are finding the same issues the Behike and Trinidad.  Will post up some pics later today to help other identify these  - also going to review the dozen or so boxes I have from this vendor.

I am not going to post the vendor name without admin approval but, if you're curious, check out Reddit's CubanCigar sub or send me a PM.

I'd also caution others that are using OTHER sources not named FOH to be careful at this time re: Cohiba. I think there is a supplier issue that goes beyond the Reddit one and it seems to have moved fast.. There is another vendor that had an issue as well (that I am familiar with...because,well, it happened tome today).

Dark wrapper Cohiba is unusual but it does show up, although I've only really seen them on CoRo and Siglo I-III. If they are dark they should still be very supple and smooth. I bought some Siglo II petacas in Cuba in June and they are quite dark. 

PXL-20221005-033920187.jpg

On 9/28/2022 at 1:30 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

Dark wrapper Cohiba is unusual but it does show up, although I've only really seen them on CoRo and Siglo I-III. If they are dark they should still be very supple and smooth. I bought some Siglo II petacas in Cuba in June and they are quite dark. I'll post up shortly. 

I have a box of Siglo I's with very dark wrappers, but to me the issue never was the colour,  rather because they are almost all overfilled. Terrible.

63ACAA08-1758-4732-A29B-D3C196B3E3FA.jpg.76b2f330faa5edfe84a57ad221d30935.jpg