EAR: Left field question: Rods.

EAR=Email Assistance Required. 

One for the FOH fisherman. Picture the below scenario and think to yourself....if I could only have one rod for those conditions.  Throw in a matching reel if you can.  

I recommended the Loomis GL2 and a Penn battle 3000. However....these are not my waters. Would love your recommendations to help out. :thumbsup:

"Hey Rob. I hope you and all the wonderful czar team are fighting fit.

Left field question. I have never been really into fishing but since moving down to the coast I am finding myself fishing off the beach and doing some close to shore small boat fishing. Loving it. Mostly picking up redfish in the 4 - 6 pound range. My son Brad who is now 17 is joining me more and more and I know how much you love fishing with your sons. Rob, I need to upgrade my gear but I am not rich. I am in need of a couple of quality general purpose rods that I can use both off the beach and and a small boat. The type of rod that will be my everyday, everywhere rod. Both will be the same as one is for my son.  I have even less of an idea about reels. Cigars I have sorted!"

I fish the surf and boat alot here in South Florida. Snook, tarpon, redfish mostly. If I had to have one spinning rod this would be it. The reel is a Stella 4000 - Stella is a waste of money unless you’re fishing alot and want to drop the dough but a decent level 4000 class Shimano reel (Sustain, etc.) will cover most of your bases. I’ve landed 100+ lb tarpon on this rod (regretfully!). But a 4 lb fish is still fun as well. I’d rig it with 20-30 pound braid and take a few min to learn how to tie an albright knot and use fluoro leader. 

*I realize the rod code may not be visible in the photo online but it is a Loomis IMX Pro Blue 842S XF a 7’6” fast action rated for 10-30 lb. line. 

88AA1DB4-49AA-4739-862C-4A6FF0FC59BF.jpeg.46b1f6b75907bcafac01d157e48f9bcc.jpeg.01e73a2b90582b9bf5655cfcb0029225.jpeg

• Like 4

Lots of excellent quality rod/reel combos. I have a Stella reel I pair with a Loomis as well. I really am fond of my Daiwa Tatula reel right now as its very light weight. If he has access to a Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop close by they can steer him in the right direction. 

• Like 1

I would look up black hold Suzuki special rod and pair it with a Shimano Saragossa or Shimano Stradic 5000.

when ur ready, get a century weapon rod and then maybe consider a reel above Saragossa (tough to beat)

I have a Penn Battle and a Fierce, they’re both a little small for the surf but work, a 2000 and a 2500. Decent, inexpensive reels. I’ve landed jacks, redfish, flounder, a ten pound grouper, small barracuda, and lots of good freshwater fish. They seem durable with minimal attention, good drag system. One is on a junk Walmart rod, the other on a cheap Ugly Stick that was $30 and has been indestructible for ten+ years, came with a reel that quickly proved very destructible… don’t have to spend a ton, but cheap reels don’t last fishing saltwater.

i would suggest that he finds the most reputable tackle shop in the region and speaks to them. they will know local conditions and what works but also, while some of these recommendations might be ideal, they may have something that works as well on special or at least for better value. this also starts a relationship with the shop which will assist for the future. 

• Like 4

I have both Shimano and Penn. The 3000 series is more than enough for your purposes.

Daiwa BG will last and come in saltwater surf sizes so that's a good reel option at a reasonable price. I am not familiar with that fishery so I can't speak on rod models .

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 9:14 PM, Ken Gargett said:

i would suggest that he finds the most reputable tackle shop in the region and speaks to them. they will know local conditions and what works but also, while some of these recommendations might be ideal, they may have something that works as well on special or at least for better value. this also starts a relationship with the shop which will assist for the future. 

This is exactly right.  Shore fishing is a whole other animal, and depends on where the drop offs and fish runs are.  For instance I don’t need to cast nearly as far at the Outer Banks as I do at Sandbridge which requires a bomb of a cast.  You’ll need a proper rod for that, which I have but it would be a pain in the neck for boat fishing.  You could alleviate shore casting with a drone and grapple hook, which is absolute blast, but it’s kinda cheating 😂