N1 storage/rh question

Rosado and the worst looking one to be above table.  It is a bit dry.  I have used my goto for farm/custom bundles of tupperdore and 65 boveda.  Looking for other opinions on best rh target.

20220720_171413.jpg

I have been using 68 RH Boveda at home. Others are using 70 RH Boveda with really good results. 

I keep them in a seperate desktop but a tupperdore will work just as well. :ok:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 3:27 PM, El Presidente said:

I have been using 68 RH Boveda at home.

@El Presidente do you dry box before smoking, or is this both your storage and smoking RH for Nudies?

I ask because I store my CCs at 62-65% @ 64F, achieved in my environment using Boveda 62%.  I don’t dry box, but simply smoke from storage.

I’ve just bought a bundle of each of the two N1 and two N3 today (and thank you, looking forward to trying these after a good rest).  You’ve had extensive experience with the Nudies.  Do you recommend I both store and smoke the N1s and N3s at a higher RH than my CC norm?

I’m willing to do so, just want to ask your opinion first, as I’m in a humid climate, smoke outdoors, and have found CCs smoke better for me if I store a little drier to begin with.  I haven’t tried Nudies yet, so thanks for any advice.

I don't dry box the nudes. We roll them a tad dryer than normal as it can be tricky rolling 38 gauge moist. The rate of plugged cigars increase exponentially the wetter you dampen the leaf.

68=70 RH. Good to go 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As someone with (probably a minority on this board) a large, regularly smoked NC collection, 69RH Bovedas seem to be the key for NC. 

NC seem (to me) a bit more creamy and less wooden at a slightly higher RH.

So maybe experiment with storage at a higher RH and dry box to taste?  

• Thanks 1

What is the difference in the short term between storing at a lower RH and smoking right from storage and storing at a slightly higher RH and dryboxing down to the lower RH for smoking? If the end result for both approaches is a cigar at basically the same RH when smoked, how can there be a discernible difference in the end experience? 

6 hours ago, ubiquito said:

What is the difference in the short term between storing at a lower RH and smoking right from storage and storing at a slightly higher RH and dryboxing down to the lower RH for smoking? If the end result for both approaches is a cigar at basically the same RH when smoked, how can there be a discernible difference in the end experience? 

I might be missing the point. 

To me (and others) they prefer the taste at around 69 RH.

Generally my Cuban cigars at home are kept at 62-64%. There are exceptions. I prefer BRC/M2/VRU and similar at a higher RH point. 

You work out what you like over time. 

16 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I might be missing the point. 

To me (and others) they prefer the taste at around 69 RH.

Generally my Cuban cigars at home are kept at 62-64%. There are exceptions. I prefer BRC/M2/VRU and similar at a higher RH point. 

You work out what you like over time. 

Will they be too dry at 65% RH? That is my cabinet setting for all my cigars.

7 hours ago, SCgarman said:

Will they be too dry at 65% RH? That is my cabinet setting for all my cigars.

They will be fine ;)

However, grab one boveda 69% RH sachet and put it in a tupperware dish with half a dozen sticks.  Try them after 30 days and then see what you prefer. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris P. Bacon said:

Hi John!

Regardless of wrapper? I was always concerned that the additional humidity would have a negative effect on my Cameroon wrapped cigars.

I find Non-Cubans lately, regardless of wrapper, more versatile in the wetter weather we've had this year in 2022 where I reside. However, if 65%rh works for you for Cameroon wrappers then I'd say go for it!

23 hours ago, El Presidente said:

They will be fine ;)

However, grab one boveda 69% RH sachet and put it in a tupperware dish with half a dozen sticks.  Try them after 30 days and then see what you prefer. 

Will do!

I have GOT to quit talking out loud at home.

SHE is walking in behind me when I quip " good info on storing nudies guys".

Took me a few minutes to explain and demonstrate that comment away.

😁

• Haha 4