MoeFOH's Movie of the Week... Week #19

MoeFOH's Movie of the Week 🎥

Each week we're going to spotlight a movie... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite quotes, clips, memories... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's a movie you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #19: Chinatown

Wiki says:

Chinatown is a 1974 American neo-noir mystery drama film directed by Roman Polanski from a screenplay by Robert Towne, starring Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway. The film was inspired by the California water wars, a series of disputes over southern California water at the beginning of the 20th century, by which Los Angeles interests secured water rights in the Owens Valley. The Robert Evans production, released by Paramount Pictures, was the director's last film in the United States and features many elements of film noir, particularly a multi-layered story that is part mystery and part psychological drama.

In 1991, the film was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry as being "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant and it is frequently listed as one of the greatest films of all time. At the 47th Academy Awards, it was nominated for 11 Oscars, with Towne winning Best Original Screenplay. The Golden Globe Awards honored it for Best Drama, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Screenplay. The American Film Institute placed it second among its top ten mystery films in 2008.

Thanks to @Tdm_86 for the suggestion! :thumbsup:

Over to you...

How do you rate it? Favourite scenes?

Best moments?... etc, and so on... post 'em up!!

Give us your score out of 10!

:perfect10:

• Like 2

"Isn't this something .. the middle of a drought and the WATER Commissioner drowns. Only in L.A.!"

This might be my favorite movie of all time (on a different day, you might get a different answer). I love the noir genre, how they are usually paced and how the layers peel back. And the fact that this was made decades after the genre lost popularity is quite cool in my opinion. The more modern techniques used just add to the storytelling, providing some visual aid. 

The whole setting is always very fun to me. Los Angeles, a city I know very well, that’s still being developed into what it has become. Scandal, a tenacious investigator diving into the gritty parts of society and exposing some elaborate scheme. 
Jack Nicholson’s character J.J. Gittes is asked at one point: “Are you alone?” and answers: “Isn’t everybody?”. I think that embodies the Noir genre. 

10/10 for me

Other notable mentions, if you like the neo-noir genre are L.A. Confidential and the 2020 series Perry Mason (yes, that Perry Mason)

I'm not sure how to rate this one - I watched it once maybe 12-13 years ago and appreciated it then as a good film, but not one of my favorite old movies (for example I really love On the Waterfront, Casablanca, and many Paul Newman movies). I'm afraid my attention span is so diminished due to my technology addiction that I haven't been able to make it through a re-watch in a couple of attempts over the last couple of years. The story is just a little slow/subtle to keep my attention these days. 7/10 I guess

I have’t watched it in a long time. It’s a bit of a masterpiece, of course. I remember the story, acting and direction being first rate but it is a bit sickening when it all comes to a conclusion. I think maybe that may be why people don’t watch it over and over like some of the other films chosen to discuss here. 9/10

BTW, great as he is, and he is a great director, Roman Polanski doesn’t get a pass. One may not drug children and have sex with them. Not ever, not once, not even a little bit. You get caught and convicted you go to prison for a long, long time. It doesn’t matter who you are.