Litigation Madness

So how much are we talking about here? :rolleyes:

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) — A Missouri man says in a class-action lawsuit against Bass Pro that the outdoor outfitter is refusing to honor its lifetime warranty on socks.

Kent Slaughter of Springfield said that after years of exchanging his “Redhead Lifetime Guarantee All-Purpose Wool Socks” every time they wore out, the Springfield-based company changed its policy in 2021 before he tried to return four pairs of socks. Instead of getting another pair with a lifetime warranty, Slaughter said he was given socks that only carried a 60-day warranty, according to the Springfield News-Leader.

A Bass Pro representative said the company won’t comment on pending litigation.

The lawsuit said Bass Pro is misrepresenting the socks in its ads because it says they are “The last sock you’ll ever need to buy” because of the lifetime warranty.

Slaughter said in the lawsuit that the warranty was a major factor in his decision to buy the socks.

I don’t feel bad for that company - they sold a product using one of the most hare-brained gimmicks I’ve ever heard of. 

It only follows that they’d attract some hare-brained customers. 

• Like 2

I have a pair of these socks and they are amazing. I wear them under my waders when I know the water is going to be cold. I have only used that warranty once on the single pair I have over 4 years. This guy is who ruined it for people like me using the warranty over and over and not just for 1 pair but 4 pairs. Hope he loses he got more than his moneys worth and ruined it for me haha. 

Florsheim used to have lifetime warranty dress socks as well.  I remember buying them in Vancouver during their EXPO when I was a kid on vacation.  AGES ago.  I lost those socks in the washer dryer space void before i even got a chance to exercise my right for any warranty replacement.

19 hours ago, El Presidente said:

So how much are we talking about here? :rolleyes:

Judge ChiBearsV says - $11.99 x 4 pair - give him triple damages for pain and suffering and refund his money - $200 - gavel smack!

Darn Tough socks offers Unconditionally Guaranteed for Life.  They are good socks, but you do pay for the warranty upfront.  A friend returned a pair he bought from Amazon, DT said they were knockoffs, but DT still replaced them.

I have a pair of lifetime warranty Redhead's with holes in them, no plans to exchange them simple because I feel like I got my use out of them.  I also don't recall the Redhead sock being priced to cover a lifetime warranty. 

On 7/18/2022 at 10:22 AM, Rhinoww said:

I tell my clients all the time the threshold for filing a lawsuit is pretty low - you really only need a bar napkin, a crayon…

Bar napkin.  Check.

Crayon.  Check.

Damages sought:  $1 gazillion

Claim:  False lifetime guarantee.  Ayala said I could lay down boxes to enjoy over my lifetime.  But these delicious bastards are clearly smoking way too fast to last that long 😉

• Haha 3