The Anatomy of Smoking a Cigar

I've always thought about setting up a cigar with my thermocouple and measure the temps inside the cigar with ash on and ash off. See if ash really does have an effect on the cherry.

Then I think, why the hell am I wasting a $50 cigar?!

• Like 4

Thank God both Padron & Fuente family have much more devotion producing cigars than doing studies (cigars).

Author spent too much boring time in biosafety studios somewhere, and he felt that too.

• Like 1

This is interesting! While it’s unclear exactly how, the mechanism and reactions described above probably explain in part how narrower ring gauges can tend to create heightened intensity. 

My best guess would be that the higher combustion temperature of narrower gauges increase the rate of pyrolysis behind the cherry. Sheer conjecture though, and of course blends differences are going to be the biggest factor anyway. 

• Like 4

Great read - thanks for sharing. Never thought about the effect of the cooler air on the cherry contributing to tunnelling or cones. 

On 7/12/2022 at 10:08 PM, MrBirdman said:

This is interesting! While it’s unclear exactly how, the mechanism and reactions described above probably explain in part how narrower ring gauges can tend to create heightened intensity. 

Maybe also has to do with the ratio of surface area to cherry? Long thin gauges have more surface and get more of the flavours from the sides? Just a guess..

51 minutes ago, karp said:

Maybe also has to do with the ratio of surface area to cherry? Long thin gauges have more surface and get more of the flavours from the sides? Just a guess..

It’s possible.

One other thought I just had was that the above article could also help to explain a phenomenon described by @Cigar Surgeon (at least in NC) wherein simply switching the binder leaf for the wrapper in exactly the same cigar produces dramatic differences in flavor. The higher O2 levels surrounding the wrapper may change the volatile profile delivered to the palate through partial oxidation, since the article says there is a limited amount of permeability through the wrapper. 

Curious to hear what John thinks of that as a possible explanation. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

The higher O2 levels surrounding the wrapper may change the volatile profile delivered to the palate through partial oxidation

Sure - I guess more O2 penetrating one wrapper would change the taste. I think it might also explain why wrappers make a difference - air coming through the wrapper adds to the overall flavour. It’s not just the burning end.. 

Very interesting. It seems he’s making a lot of assumptions in the model, but I love a fancy data visualisation. The description of pyrolisis, and the explanation of tunneling vs coning were both great. 

Love me some nerdery.

4 hours ago, MrBirdman said:

It’s possible.

One other thought I just had was that the above article could also help to explain a phenomenon described by @Cigar Surgeon (at least in NC) wherein simply switching the binder leaf for the wrapper in exactly the same cigar produces dramatic differences in flavor. The higher O2 levels surrounding the wrapper may change the volatile profile delivered to the palate through partial oxidation, since the article says there is a limited amount of permeability through the wrapper. 

Curious to hear what John thinks of that as a possible explanation. 

I have a new possibility based on some time spent with Luciano Meirelles at the PCA. It might have to do with the pH balance of the tobacco. Apparently one of the things you can do with the wrapper is adjust pH which will either mute or enhance the flavor from the other tobaccos. So just changing the position of the tobacco does make a measurable difference.

We went through a few tobacco exercises and it was intriguing.

• Like 3