Partagas Shorts Disappointment

Shorts have been one of my all time favorite smokes over the last 15+ years. I love their power and taste. I usually buy the cabinet if available on here. I purchased a box a couple months back on 24:24 and have now smoked about 15 and have to say that I am very disappointed in the quality. They are severely lacking the taste that I have enjoyed immensely and either burn so fast/hot, that smoke is pouring from the tip like a torch, or they won't draw at all and need to be discarded. Their taste is almost straw like. Did I just get a bad box after all these years or are others experiencing this as well? Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I suspect a bad box. For those that smoke Shorts regularly (and plenty of you do), I think you can relate to the above at least on occasion. 

Time may heal wounds but rarely does it heal serious construction flaws. 

Generally, they perform well as per our most recent Deep Dive Partagas Short poll. 

• Like 3

How was the wrapper color? I am going through a recent box, 19 I think that have very light colored wrappers. Very little of the partagas flavor. Just a light bodied grass smoke throughout. Also very easy to heat up and taste burnt. I assume due to the lack of alternate flavors the char flavor really stands out. Still pretty set in the opinion darker wrappers beat light. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, djrey said:

How was the wrapper color? I am going through a recent box, 19 I think that have very light colored wrappers. Very little of the partagas flavor. Just a light bodied grass smoke throughout. Also very easy to heat up and taste burnt. I assume due to the lack of alternate flavors the char flavor really stands out. Still pretty set in the opinion darker wrappers beat light. 

Sounds very similar to mine. I would say wrapper colors are on the lighter side.

10 hours ago, djrey said:

I've had a lot of burnproof wrappers on dark shorts.

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, djrey said:

I have a box of 18s with very light wrappers that purchased on 24:24. Been an excellent box. Better than my 2020 Cab with dark wrappers. Who knows!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KCCubano said:

I have a box of 18s with very light wrappers that purchased on 24:24. Been an excellent box. Better than my 2020 Cab with dark wrappers. Who knows!

Not to say that light cant be excellent. I do however think the flavor profile tends to follow a color scheme. Thus far is my experience smoking shorts starting with 2012 boxes to current boxes, every single light wrapper has produced a light/medium body grassy profile whereas dark load on the "partagas spice" and wood notes. Now to some the light wrapper may provide excellent flavors. And I do not mind light/medium grassy flavors however in a short I do, because I do not buy shorts for light and grassy. 

Personal preference aside, I am curious if you find the lighter wrapper box focusing more on light grassy flavors and the dark wrapper maybe having a degree of harsh woody tannins to it?

Throw the box in the back of the cabinet and forget about it for at least 5 years. You might be surprised what a different animal they are after some age. I am smoking a 2011 box now and they are some "smooth operators". All the harshness and bite are long gone. 

Another vote for bad box.

Enjoying an FOH 50 cab LTO SEP 21.  Dark wrapper.  Excellent.  I know I need to leave these alone, but they're sooo damned good.

Anything Partagas is always as disappointment.  

Have I mentioned I dont like Partagas before?  

On 7/14/2022 at 10:46 AM, SCgarman said:

Throw the box in the back of the cabinet and forget about it for at least 5 years. You might be surprised what a different animal they are after some age. I am smoking a 2011 box now and they are some "smooth operators". All the harshness and bite are long gone. 

Completely agree.  I have had boxes that gave off a sand like/crystal and tasted green and harsh on my tongue whenever I smoked them.  Left them alone for a year or two and suddenly and dramatically they morphed into little rich dense badass flavour bombs.  I was close to throwing out the box but was so glad to have kept them.

On 7/14/2022 at 10:46 AM, SCgarman said:

I don't think that will help these. Every box I have purchased in the past, smoked good when I first received and slightly improved after aging for a few years. I believe I just got a bad box after all these years. Even the dark ones aren't smoking well.

Although I have not smoked or acquired any Shorts recently I have noted the return of the fire resistent wrappers on Partagas Corona size boxes of which I continue to like in general.  It is very annoying.  Whachagonnadoo.  :angry:

• Like 2