Deep Dive: Sancho Panza Belicoso

El Presidente

Sancho Panza Belicoso  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sancho Panza Belicoso

Some would say the Sancho Panza Belicoso  is the most distinctive in terms of flavour in the Habanos lineup. 

Quirky?  Marsterpiece? Overrated? 

The Sancho Panza Belicoso is a cigar that has one hell of a personality!

Let's talk Sancho Panza Belicoso

• Do you like  Sancho Panza Belicoso?
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Sancho Panza Belicoso?
  • Do the poll!

Sancho Panza Belicoso! :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

I haven't had one in ages so I will refrain from a detailed response. These haven't been around for awhile so I'm more interested to see who's been having a SP Belicosos on a regular basis in the past year or two?

• Like 1

One of the most unique and maybe polarizing cigars in the portfolio. Salty, very salty, with cream and wood. With a lingering aroma in the room that is one of the most pleasant of all cigars. I really didn't like the salt at first, but this is a cigar that really grew on me. I wish I had 10 boxes of these tucked away. Have a partial box of non plus and an almost full box of Belis. 

P.S. Rob, you needed to add "salty" in the taste profile descriptors for this one!

Historically, this is one of my all time favorite smokes of all time. I adore the thin, brown, silky wrapper… they’re beautiful and I love the salty taste… however, the couple boxes I’ve got lately have much darker, rougher wrappers with veins…the taste/feel is off. I can’t be more descriptive than that… something is just off. No longer velvety. I still love them, but these newer boxes I do not love as much. They were once cheap, beautiful, and so good. Now? Expensive, not as beautiful, and pretty decent.

19af4f6c4249c201d37592818556210c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm curious too on the those darker wrapper ones that appeared at the end of 2020.  They seemed to have made a lot in Nov/Dec 2020 and most seemed to be be  quite dark in the wrapper.  I haven't gotten to those boxes (plenty of 17/18/19 to get thru first) 

Had a 2018 yesterday.  It was wonderful.  Woody, salty cream with a hint of caramel.   One of the non-dark wrappers though.

When they are on, they are on.  The problem with this cigar is that the inconsistency is great.  I get 10 legendary ones per box, 5 pretty good ones, and 10 that are okay.

• Like 3

I'm curious too on the those darker wrapper ones that appeared at the end of 2020.  They seemed to have made a lot in Nov/Dec 2020 and most seemed to be be  quite dark in the wrapper.  I haven't gotten to those boxes (plenty of 17/18/19 to get thru first) 
Had a 2018 yesterday.  It was wonderful.  Woody, salty cream with a hint of caramel.   One of the non-dark wrappers though.
When they are on, they are on.  The problem with this cigar is that the inconsistency is great.  I get 10 legendary ones per box, 5 pretty good ones, and 10 that are okay.

Yeah, I totally agree. It almost seems as though they ran out of the usual leaf and substituted them with something else. As you said, when they’re on, they’re on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On the great boxes, you can see flecks of mineral on wrapper.  Unique cigar in that occasion.  I like this cigar, but want to buy them in person.  Not one for a blind purchase.

God I love these. Maybe Cuba's most individually distinct cigar.  All salty driftwood with no hard edges. They age extremely well up to 10 years...I wouldn't age em past that b/c (like Monte), they seem to lose their verve at about that mark.

Just found a grey-market box this AM, thrilled.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tstew75 said:

God I love these. Maybe Cuba's most individually distinct cigar.  All salty driftwood with no hard edges. They age extremely well up to 10 years...I wouldn't age em past that b/c (like Monte), they seem to lose their verve at about that mark.

Just found a grey-market box this AM, thrilled.

Lucky you! These seem thin on the ground lately. I have an RAT 20 box with very nice wrappers. Last one was a salt bomb. Needed a drink to accompany it. 

One of the few cigars that almost always need a couple years to come alive. They can get very out of sorts if smoked too young. I think many negative opinions have been a result of that. 

I will say that I do think the box-to-box consistency could be better. I've never had any tossers but I have had some lackluster ones. I find a lot of variation within and between boxes. 

They fall under change-of-pace cigar for me. Very refreshing and unique although the SP blend has never been my favorite. I would buy them but maybe a box a year at most. I get a little burnt out on SP after too many too soon. 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2022 at 12:58 AM, liquid360 said:

however, the couple boxes I’ve got lately have much darker, rougher wrappers with veins…the taste/feel is off. I can’t be more descriptive than that… something is just off. No longer velvety

Oh crap, yes, that’s disenthralling. I was so much looking forward to stocking up. Like you say, that unique velvety, smooth, almost veinless hazelnut brown wrapper has been emblematic for this cigar. I always love it when the band is camouflaging with the wrapper.

17 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

They age extremely well up to 10 years...I wouldn't age em past that b/c (like Monte), they seem to lose their verve at about that mark.

They age extremely well, yes they do! Got a ‘07 box, and they are among the best I smoked.

• Like 1

They age extremely well, yes they do! Got a ‘07 box, and they are among the best I smoked.

Yeah, that wrapper is absolutely emblematic of that cigar. It truly is like velvet. It’s been completely hit or miss lately. I have two brand new boxes arriving next week and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned. Haven’t had great luck with the last 5 boxes I’ve bought… yet I continue to purchase them. When on, it’s right up there with Cohiba and Trinidad to my taste and I can’t give up on them, even at $500/box. I enjoy them that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I used to smoke a decent amount of these years ago, and they were always a great change of pace cigar. As others have mentioned, salty notes dominated , almost salty sea to me, with woody umami and some cream. The hazelnut wrappers were the best.

• Like 1

As the years go by each newer box of SP Belicosos are less salty/mineral tasting than the previous years.  I don't find the Molinos or Sancho Sanchos to have that flavor.

Is it a unique/exclusive finca the leaves are sourced from? 

• Like 1

Ok so this is a stupid question but... we know different farmers all have their secret curing recipes that can include honey, guava leaves and other stuff. Are we sure that the whoever processes the leaves that go into SP doesn't just include some seawater? I mean salt is used in a lot of fermentation not to mention gose beers... Would it be that crazy?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enduin said:

Ok so this is a stupid question but... we know different farmers all have their secret curing recipes that can include honey, guava leaves and other stuff. Are we sure that the whoever processes the leaves that go into SP doesn't just include some seawater? I mean salt is used in a lot of fermentation not to mention gose beers... Would it be that crazy?

Not crazy at all...it's a Caribbean island after all. Nice thought

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Enduin said:

I mentioned in thread here years ago about curing techniques that include ingredients with flavors in them.  I was told this is not true.  No proof of this, etc...

• Like 1