How are the Galanes smoking now?

I remember a few reports right after the release last year, generally positive, some mentions of being young and likely benefit from some aging/resting. Then nothing. Obviously being quite rare doesn't help, but clearly there are boxes being sold.

Has anybody been smoking them recently? How are the earlier ones smoking now? Are the more recent production smoking the same as the early ones?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Miguel Gracias said:

I love PL, havent really tried old PL aged like 5+ years... yet, I got a box shortly right after the release and smoked about half. It was just getting better. 
I know initial price was about 90 usd, but I wouldnt mind paying 150 for a box nowadays. I'm actually glad to get 2 more boxes!

In which way they were getting better if I may ask?

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

I find they're smoking brilliantly. There are none in Ireland, none have come in yet. I was in London last month and tried to find a box, both shops I tried were sold out, just some singles left. I found six singles in Granada on Monday, bought them all. None in Gibraltar yesterday but a '21 Picador with lunch there smoked very well. I'm hoping to pick up a couple of boxes in Seville tomorrow. They're priced well here at 10 euro each, up from 9 euro last month.

I'm getting carmelized sweetness from them with good performance and nice variation in the flavours.

Is that the same caramelized sweetness that you get from PLMC and aged PLPC or did you find the note different?

23 minutes ago, Enduin said:

Is that the same caramelized sweetness that you get from PLMC and aged PLPC or did you find the note different?

It could be a psychological thing because it is a fatter cigar but the Galanes seems to smoke “bigger”/fuller, more depth of flavour. I enjoy the PLPC very much but don’t remember getting the same body from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

It could be a psychological thing because it is a fatter cigar but the Galanes seems to smoke “bigger”/fuller, more depth of flavour. I enjoy the PLPC very much but don’t remember getting the same body from them.

I was fortunate to receive one from @RichG, and it was definitely a brilliant experience. Had the same caramel notes of an aged PLPC, but like @Ryan said, I think it has more fullness to the flavor profile. Seems like they’re  becoming more available over the last two months or so, but prior to that they seemed pretty thin on the ground. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Shrimpchips said:

I was fortunate to receive one from @RichG, and it was definitely a brilliant experience. Had the same caramel notes of an aged PLPC, but like @Ryan said, I think it has more fullness to the flavor profile.

@Shrimpchips Glad to hear that it was great! That one I sent you in the PIF was RAT Nov 20. I haven’t smoked one yet, your assessment has encouraged me to put one on deck!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RichG said:

@Shrimpchips Glad to hear that it was great! That one I sent you in the PIF was RAT Nov 20. I haven’t smoked one yet, your assessment has encouraged me to put one on deck!

I had it in mid December, and I’ve had my eyes on a box since then. Have to say I was expecting PLPC flavors but more mild due to the larger format, but what I got was the thick, voluptuous sister of the PLPC.  Was lucky to score two boxes last month, so I’m looking forward to dipping into them after they’ve had a bit more rest (they’re both GLE NOV 21).

1 hour ago, RichG said:

I think I will put this box back to bed and try one from my RAT Sep 21 box next to see how it stacks up.

Thank you for the feedback! Very interested in seeing how the 2021 box compares, so please do report back!

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Just found two boxes in Seville. I had asked him to hold some for me though if he had them. Not much stock at all in the other shops here.

Nice! Is it all new stock or are you finding some older 2020 stock? How did the one you smoked yesterday compare to the Galanes you smoked in the past?

1 hour ago, Enduin said:

Nice! Is it all new stock or are you finding some older 2020 stock? How did the one you smoked yesterday compare to the Galanes you smoked in the past?

Abr 21. Yesterday’s was as good as I remember. 10 euro per cigar here compared to 65 for a Cohiba Robusto. The difference isn’t 6 fold. Not even 2 fold. At a push, 1.5. Though I would pay 20 for a Cohiba Robusto if they could be found at that price anywhere anymore. Those days are gone.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Abr 21. Yesterday’s was as good as I remember. 10 euro per cigar here compared to 65 for a Cohiba Robusto. The difference isn’t 6 fold. Not even 2 fold. At a push, 1.5. Though I would pay 20 for a Cohiba Robusto if they could be found at that price anywhere anymore. Those days are gone.

I'll be in Madrid, Logrono, Bilbao, San Sebastian in early September, hoping I can find a couple boxes of the galanes and the diplomatico regional. Are you seeing any large format cigars in stock? Seems like the punch dc and RA gigantes are the best deal left in Spain. 

• 10 months later...

I wanted to revisit this. I have a 22 box. I've given away 3. Have yet to smoke.any. How are they fresh? With a couple years on them? I'm holding off on these for at least a exile longer before I sample one.

I think everyone ran out of them! Haven't seen any in Cuba in over a year and only a couple boxes at that time. Hopefully we get some production soon. Definitely missing them.

I guess these are going to be a sporadic production cigar. Stock up when they're available. :yes: