Sancho Panza Non Plus… is it really discontinued?

This is one of the most polarizing cigars (despite the rule of "everything can be good/bad if the thread is long enough"). Never been one I've sought out, but recently picked up a partial box to try out and see if my palate has moved in favor of them. Should be fun. 

Definitely seems like they are still kickin. Between those and the Beli showing up, maybe there's some life on these SP.

• Like 4

The Non Plus was last seen in 2018 making it by far the cigar MIA the longest before reappearing. I would be very skeptical these aren't just finally making it out of the factory after 4 years. It would make some sense as something like SPNP would be about the lowest priority in getting out the door. 

I would also have to assume that @ATGroom's statement of discontinuation was based on reliable info. It's been listed in CCW as cut for some time so it's safe to assume there's solid basis for the notation. Being MIA for 2 years alone certainly would not be enough, particularly in the 2020-2022 window. I can think of several cigars that have been MIA since 2020 that no one thinks are going anywhere. 

Bottom line is if they continue to trickle out with codes into later 22 then perhaps it's been revived. Until now I'd assume it's a final batch that is just now making it out of the factory. The good news is that if this is the case they come aged 4 years! 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SCgarman said:

Just curious what was price per box in USD?

150 euro so approximately 160 USD.  My friend secured one box for me and one for him which I’m pretty excited about

5 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

The Non Plus was last seen in 2018 making it by far the cigar MIA the longest before reappearing. I would be very skeptical these aren't just finally making it out of the factory after 4 years. It would make some sense as something like SPNP would be about the lowest priority in getting out the door. 

I would also have to assume that @ATGroom's statement of discontinuation was based on reliable info. It's been listed in CCW as cut for some time so it's safe to assume there's solid basis for the notation. Being MIA for 2 years alone certainly would not be enough, particularly in the 2020-2022 window. I can think of several cigars that have been MIA since 2020 that no one thinks are going anywhere. 

Bottom line is if they continue to trickle out with codes into later 22 then perhaps it's been revived. Until now I'd assume it's a final batch that is just now making it out of the factory. The good news is that if this is the case they come aged 4 years! 

I hope they make a revival. HSA has taken to much from us already.  We shall see these should be gems.  I am grateful my friend stumbled upon them and secured them for me

• Like 3

Strange but exciting. Those Non-plus have been long gone for awhile. I have one full box left. I'd love more and I'd love if it came back into production. HSA Limited Time Revival Series. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Doesn't make sense there would be some SP non plus just laying around collecting dust for a few years. Especially when Rob stated supplies in the Habanos warehouse in Havana were completely depleted and any stockpile was/is gone. Strange

On 6/8/2022 at 3:32 AM, ATGroom said:

My info from Habanos' master product list, which has them as "Delisted - still in inventory."

I'm guessing the 22 boxes are 'one last batch.' Probably the comment about them finding a few empty boxes lying around so they filled them isn't far off the money.

Thanks for the info.  Yeah 22 boxes would make sense.  My friend found 9 between 3 shops in Andora. 

12 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

The 22s are everywhere in Havana. Every shop had at least 3 boxes, most 6-9. 

Interestingly, they are using Band D for these--the Vrijdag ones. 

Looks like at least several hundred boxes produced for this run. Get 'em while you can gents. May be the last breath although I hope they go the way of the Fonseca No. 1. 

Saw a box or two of 19s in Havana today also. Hadn't seen any past 18 before that. 

Buy 'em up! I would love a box if anyone had to offer. Many don't like the non plus profile. I didn't at first, but it's a cigar that grows on you. The saltiness is quite extraordinary.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SCgarman said:

Buy 'em up! I would love a box if anyone had to offer. Many don't like the non plus profile. I didn't at first, but it's a cigar that grows on you. The saltiness is quite extraordinary.

I do like them. Very nice alternate to the Monte 4. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I do like them. Very nice alternate to the Monte 4. 

One of the finest aromas out of any Habano i have experienced also. Sublime

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SCgarman said:

One of the finest aromas out of any Habano i have experienced also. Sublime

Yes, it's too good to be in the change-of-pace category. The driftwood saltines is very enjoyable and only found in SP. Works great as a Marevas and one never gets bored with the blend. I prefer them to young PLPC, the RyJ Marevas and RGPC. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Frinkiac7 said:

What is the consensus on where the salty flavor comes from? Proximity to the sea? Was having this discussion with someone recently and I hypothesized that, but honestly I have no idea.

Obviously a unique blend of tobaccos. Old Pulteney single malt scotch also has a unique sea salt flavor note similar in nature to the SP non plus.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Frinkiac7 said:

What is the consensus on where the salty flavor comes from? Proximity to the sea? Was having this discussion with someone recently and I hypothesized that, but honestly I have no idea.

No idea, but I think the leaf for Connie 1 must be grown near a bakery with all that shortbread. :wink2:

Just the way it comes out of the ground. That's the whole idea behind taste differences. Different leaf from different areas tastes different. The uniqueness of the flavors in tobacco is remarkable and what makes blending possible. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frinkiac7 said:

I had a discussion with @Trevor2118 about this a few years ago that I believe would interest @ATGroom. Trevor always maintained a clear policy of verifying information for Cuban Cigar Website with two verifiable sources. I found one source stating that the fields in the south-east of the Pinar de Rio region, close to the sea, accounted for the saltiness in the Sancho Panza marca. Trevor was aware of it but because there weren't other sources to support it, and incidentally we haven't seen any since, this information was not included on Cuban Cigar Website, at the time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1