Bolivar Libertador - worth it over other Bolivar offerings?

I'm curious to hear some thoughts on the Libertador in comparison to other Bolivars, especially the BBF. This cigar seems to be very well liked, but with cigars like the BBF being considered to be so good lately, I'm wondering if it really makes sense to pick up a 10 count when you can have 25 Belicosos for nearly the same price. (Other than for additional variety of course!) Cheers. 

Libertadores are very good cigars, but the price point is getting a little hard to swallow. There are a lot of options when you start getting into the $22+/stick area. 

It is mellower than the BBF and PC and definitely shares more with the BRC in terms of profile but it is a little fuller and is beautifully balanced. I wouldn't consider them spectacular but they're very good. 

That said, at that price, I would prefer a Lusi or Punch DC to it. I'd probably take an Esmeralda or Monte Especial over it as well. 

• Like 4

I managed to get a few boxes of the Libertador in as the flavour profile hits it for me - I agree with @NSXCIGAR that it is closer to the BRC than the BBF but I do find it smoother than most of the other Bolivar vitolas. I prefer a 38-46 ring gauge so this one is definitely very much fatter than that but then again, at that price point, it wouldn't be a daily/weekly smoke for me anyway.

I would take the risk and get a box - I doubt you would regret it :D

• Like 2

They're probably the least expensive Sublime size cigar.  If you want to smoke a big gun cigar; they're worth it for that alone.  I'd put both Double Edmundos and Libertadores as two of the same.  I like both equally.

• Like 2

I love the Libertador but if value is your main concern for deciding then you most probably won't enjoy it emotionally I guess. You'll always be questioning your decision instead of enjoying. Can't go wrong with BBF. Been fantastic. I'd purchase a couple of singles of Libertador if you can and save for a special long sitting. And get a box of BBF. Smoke half early and let other half age for a bit for a more rounded, less rustic experience IMHO. Just opinion of course. Cheers. All the best. 

• Like 2

Libertadores have been such a home run for me so far. Echo most of said above, not an everyday cigar due to size and all else. That said, incredibly balanced and flavorful and smooth. I’m a buyer in spite of value considerations. I concur Lusi for the price point does more for me. That said, this cigar I think is easier than a Lusi and more approachable for most.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

They're probably the least expensive Sublime size cigar. 

That might be because all the other Sublimes are special production. :wink2:

1 hour ago, mprach024 said:

I’d argue Libertadors are great value.

Not sure how you'd make that case. I will give you that I'd rather have a Libertadores than a Cuaba Salomon or a Party Salomones which are about the same price as the Libertadores but all of the other cigars in that general size and quality class are significantly cheaper. Personally, I think the Monte DE is a good comparison in terms of experience but since the Libertadores are 50% more it's a real tough sell. I think Lusi and Punch DC can certainly hold their own with the Libertadores and are about the same price as the DE. Monte Especial is also in there and is also about 30% cheaper. I would also put the Fundadores and Esmeralda in the same quality category, but the Libertadores are 20% more than those too, although the Topes gets a little closer in price. Perhaps you could make a case for it being a better value than the SC Torreon, but the Torreon might be better than the Libertadores. Then you have the Sir Winston which is about the same price yet is unquestionably a better cigar.

You'd really have to like the Libertadores to spend the extra coin. There are half a dozen other options that can compete that are cheaper to much cheaper.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

That might be because all the other Sublimes are special production. :wink2:

Not sure how you'd make that case. I will give you that I'd rather have a Libertadores than a Cuaba Salomon or a Party Salomones which are about the same price as the Libertadores but all of the other cigars in that general size and quality class are significantly cheaper. Personally, I think the Monte DE is a good comparison in terms of experience but since the Libertadores are 50% more it's a real tough sell. I think Lusi and Punch DC can certainly hold their own with the Libertadores and are about the same price as the DE. Monte Especial is also in there and is also about 30% cheaper. I would also put the Fundadores and Esmeralda in the same quality category, but the Libertadores are 20% more than those too, although the Topes gets a little closer in price. Perhaps you could make a case for it being a better value than the SC Torreon, but the Torreon might be better than the Libertadores. Then you have the Sir Winston which is about the same price yet is unquestionably a better cigar.

You'd really have to like the Libertadores to spend the extra coin. There are half a dozen other options that can compete that are cheaper to much cheaper.

I understand your point, that said when you compare such a range of vitolas it gets blurry. Libertadores packs a lot of tobacco, and smokes very different than a lancero or a Churchill. While most of us are not Sublimes die hards, this is a fantastic cigar hands down. Again, in spite of value (however you ascribe value, even if only based on price point) considerations. I think smoking experience: smoothness and flavor are worth the coin. It’s a great cigar, and again extraordinarily approachable (much more than a Salomones or a double Corona for most, and smoother than a Monte DE) regardless of it size. I think within 1-2 years of rest already makes it a stunner. Buy a couple of boxes!

• Like 1

I really dig the Liberatador.  For me it requires a lot of time and slow smoking to fully enjoy.  If I speed at all with one, my ass gets kicked.  Also, I agree with @Lord Verulam that they need a couple years down before the blend really balances well.  They are a joy to smoke for sure.  Wouldn't call it a value cigar but I sure like having some in inventory.

• Like 2

I've only smoked one Libertador out of my box and I enjoyed it even though it needed some more rest. As for value, hell all Cuban cigars are expensive and in today's market are seemingly overpriced but I like them and I'm going to smoke them regardless of the price. 😁. Life is short and you only have one so if you want some Libertadors by all means, treat yourself.