• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9 days, just 9 more days.

Yes

If the US removes the embargo, neither country will have any excuse. Plain and simple.

10 minutes ago, Monterey said:

9 days, just 9 more days.

Do you really think anything is going to change for the better? A 78 yr old senile man in the white house? LOL

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

In terms of Cuba (and that is all we are talking about), a lot can be changed with the right will. 

In your instance it is more the will of both houses of congress than the white house. Stay tuned. I believe there is going to be another revolutionary war in the US. It is a pressure cooker ready to blow. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

It is my understanding that this move makes it more difficult for Biden to unwind Trump policy in the short run. 

• Like 2

Just now, Markspring1978 said:

It is my understanding that this move makes it more difficult for Biden to unwind Trump policy in the short run. 

I have read the same. it would be good to know Joe Manchins position on Cuba. 

• Like 2

Parting blow. Will require investigations and hearings to turn around and probably block early opportunities to reverse many of the recent policies.....

Just now, Habana Mike said:

Parting blow. Will require investigations and hearings to turn around and probably block early opportunities to reverse many of the recent policies.....

disappointing indeed. 

I would love to see it as an opportunity to flex some new found political muscle

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I have read the same. it would be good to know Joe Manchins position on Cuba. 

Fortunately, the policy changes (and reversals) are procedural hurdles that will not require congressional approval. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MrBirdman said:

Fortunately, the policy changes (and reversals) are procedural hurdles that will not require congressional approval. 

The embargo is the "biggie", and does indeed hinge on an act of congress. And with a 50/50 split, it likely ain't going nowhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fuzz I agree but when the embargo is fully removed, very few Cubans will benefit from it. You know who will benefit? Castro, Maduro, And Iran. Outside of the tourist areas, the Obama era policies had almost zero effect on daily life. Leave Havana and Varadero and spend time in the town's I mentioned and you'll see what I'm talking about

• Like 2

I think, by law, it could take a while to reverse this decision, and that is after it gets on the radar of a president who wants to change it. Congress has 45 days to object and I think a sign-off is required that there is at least belief that Cuba has taken no part in state-sponsored terrorism in the previous six months.

The argument made to get Cuba back on the list of State-sponsored terror was a group of Colombian dissidents (not FARC) in Cuba for talks, who have been blamed by Bogota for blowing up a police barracks last year, Cuba is not willing to extradite them to Colombia, stating that it would break the terms of the talks.

While Cuba was on the list until 2015 anyway, you would think "no real change there, I was using credit cards to buy Cuban cigars before that."

What it does, is put Cuba back on the radar of every bank and credit card provider in the world. At least any that have dealings with the US, which is most, if not all.

So, while any of us may or may not agree with the decision. It is not good for anyone who likes to use credit cards to buy Cuban cigars. How much of a difference it will actually make, too early to tell.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fuzz said:

If the US removes the embargo, neither country will have any excuse. Plain and simple.

It is not going to happen. The US senate is a 50/50 party split. My country (USA) obviously has bigger issues than Cuban policy. I'm sure your news channels have showed you what has gone on here in the last few months. With COVID, the economy and vaccine issues, most Americans don't have foreign policy on their minds. 

The reason the embargo isn’t going anywhere has little to do with party breakdown in Congress. The reason is that Cuban Americans support it, and they are swing voters in the biggest swing state. Very simple. 

• Like 3