In search of best automatic espresso machine

Bijan

Hi,

I'm getting a lot of use out of my Nespresso machine, but I think I might benefit from a non-pod solution.

I'm looking at the Jura A1:

https://us.jura.com/en/homeproducts/machines/A1-Piano-Black-NA-15148

I'm only interested in espresso and black coffee, I don't want any milk related functions.

Anyone have any similar type machine recommendations? Experience with the above machine?

Thanks in advance,

Bijan

54 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Bijan,

You'd still want the milk option I'd say, keep that in mind. I know @ElJavi76 bought a Jura machine this year and has really made good use of his system ever since.

Thanks John! I still have the milk frothing device from the Nespresso, and that is probably enough for my wife and guests, so I still have some sort of milk option. But I practically never make lattes or cappuccinos for myself. On the other hand I'm going through a large number of pods :)

• Like 1

I’ve had a Jura for around 18 years and maybe 25,000 uses. I’ve serviced it a few times but I love it and I’d get another Jura without a second thought. They have various capabilities when it comes to how many and how automatic milk functions are. Research which model suits your needs now and in the future because you’ll have it a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Just now, LLC said:

I’ve had a Jura for around 18 years and maybe 25,000 uses. I’ve serviced it a few times but I love it and I’d get another Jura without a second thought. They have various capabilities when it comes to how many and how automatic milk functions are. Research which model suits your needs now and in the future because you’ll have it a long time.

Thanks @LLC!

The one I linked the Jura A1 has no milk functions. It's the only one of their current machines without a milk function I believe :)

It does coffee, espresso, ristretto (each programmable for coffee level), and two strengths.

• Like 1

My bro just bought a Jura S8. He wanted something like my Delonghi Primadonna S Deluxe, but for the price, the Jura S8 is a better machine.

A friend has actually been trying to get me to update to a Breville Oracle. Told him I would be more than happy to change, on the proviso that he can convince my mother it is a better, easier to use machine than my current one. I do not see that ever happening. :rotfl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys, I'm going to go with the Jura A1. The Jura D6 doesn't look bad either, +milk frother and does 2x coffee or espresso at a time, probably the better choice, but it costs about 30% more. I think anything else is overkill for my needs.

1 minute ago, LLC said:

Nice accessory. I just use the hot water tap in the Jura to fill the coffee cup 1/3 of the way and leave it a minute. Gets the cup nice and warm.

Nice! Mine won't have a hot water tap, so it'd be an extra step to run the electric kettle.

Nice! Mine won't have a hot water tap, so it'd be an extra step to run the electric kettle.

Then I’d go with accessory warmer or compare how much more vs. the accessory to step up to a machine with the hit water tap. The kettle would be a pain.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bijan said:

That's what I usually do when I have guests over. Now that I have a Billi hot water tap (constant filtered hot water), I just quickly fill the cup to heat up. Also easier to make long blacks, as I fill the glass with about 100ml, then pour a shot of espresso on top.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LLC said:

Then I’d go with accessory warmer or compare how much more vs. the accessory to step up to a machine with the hit water tap. The kettle would be a pain.

Thanks, yeah so with the accessory warmer being on sale on Amazon it's same price to get it with the A1, as to get the next higher machine D6 which would have a milk frother and hence hot water tap.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the machine. Still experimenting with different coffees. The ristretto selection is closest to Nespresso in terms of strength and crema. The espresso setting is considerably lighter in both. Though the default volume of the output between the two is not that different.

Temperature is good, probably higher than the Nespresso machine.

Tried the coffee setting a couple of times mainly to check the volume output. I like the default output of close to a Demi Tasse. Even when I make 8 cups in a drip machine I only have that much at a time so it stays hot the whole time.

So far so good. But starting to get overcaffeinated.

IMG-20201216-WA0017.jpeg

• Like 2

Those are nice looking machines. Congrats! I am getting one from Santa this year. Luckily Santa (My Wife) and I are on a personal basis! He went with the Breville Barista Touch. I wanted one with a little more control than fully auto machines. This one has good reviews and I have 90 days to return if I dont like it. https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES880BSS-Barista-Espresso-Stainless/dp/B078WMLXXG

• Like 1

Got the machine. Still experimenting with different coffees. The ristretto selection is closest to Nespresso in terms of strength and crema. The espresso setting is considerably lighter in both. Though the default volume of the output between the two is not that different.
Temperature is good, probably higher than the Nespresso machine.
Tried the coffee setting a couple of times mainly to check the volume output. I like the default output of close to a Demi Tasse. Even when I make 8 cups in a drip machine I only have that much at a time so it stays hot the whole time.
So far so good. But starting to get overcaffeinated.
IMG-20201216-WA0017.thumb.jpeg.75020e4013852085c44930fcd59f0de3.jpeg

Enjoy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bijan said:

The ristretto selection is closest to Nespresso in terms of strength and crema. The espresso setting is considerably lighter in both. Though the default volume of the output between the two is not that different.

This changed after I fiddled with the grinder coarseness adjustment. Definitely nicer crema on the espresso setting now that I adjusted it finer. Won't be able to say about the taste definitely until tomorrow. Simply too much coffee for one day.

• 1 year later...

I'm a bit of a geek with coffee, but really enjoy a nice cup of espresso in the morning.
Our Nespresso keeps us happily caffeinated (espresso's - me, latte's - SO). I do wander to the French press from time to time, and have some pour-overs on my list. ... I would LOVE a real espresso machine like those reviewed by link.

Instead, I've been learning how to bake croissants. They seem to go well with coffee.

• 5 weeks later...

Well after 20 years and over 22,000 coffees brewed on my Jura, I picked up a new Jura E8 today. Looking forward to enjoying the many improvements and the many new specialty coffees it can make. 

85415468-C81F-446B-82EE-B2302E5CC484.jpeg

64CDB7C6-989D-4BD2-810D-FA9509C56960.jpeg

• Like 3

Convinced my bro to get a Jura S8. Makes a very good cup of coffee, but a little fiddly to clean after use. Still makes a better coffee than my old Delonghi PrimaDoona S Deluxe that I replaced 1 year ago with a Breville Oracle Touch.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Makes a very good cup of coffee, but a little fiddly to clean after use.

This is why I got the milk-less A1. More or less just gets cleaned whenever it's time for the cleaning cycle every 3-4 weeks. And descaled after about every 3rd or 4th cleaning.

• Like 1

I just made a number of specialty milk based drinks today just to try them out. Great results. Afterwards I did the automatic milk cleaning system and all I did was put some auto dispensed tablets into the container it came with for the cleaning, put it under the spouts, connect the milk tube that was in my milk cooler to the container and pressed start. Takes four minutes and nothing else to do.