In search of best automatic espresso machine

Bijan

On 12/1/2020 at 12:43 AM, Bijan said:

Hi,

I'm getting a lot of use out of my Nespresso machine, but I think I might benefit from a non-pod solution.

I'm looking at the Jura A1:

https://us.jura.com/en/homeproducts/machines/A1-Piano-Black-NA-15148

I'm only interested in espresso and black coffee, I don't want any milk related functions.

Anyone have any similar type machine recommendations? Experience with the above machine?

Thanks in advance,

Bijan

Jura is quite popular and solid at each price point.  Franke is a great brand.  More popular in Europe.  Not as popular in N. America although they are sold here.

https://www.franke.com

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fuzz said:

At nearly $10k for the smallest automatic unit (A300), not exactly for the home user.

A Jura for the long haul is pushing 3K or they become more the disposable side. 

Between friends and family I have seen a lot.  I forgot to mention Saeco, which actually may be more popular than Jura.  One thing to look for on these machines is how the milk reservoir is stored and used.

A cousin of mine repairs these.  More of a tinkerer; it's usually a bad gear that he'll make a new one for or something kind of simple that owners toss the machine.

On 2/22/2022 at 7:55 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

This and your next point about the milk reservoir is why I went with the A1 that only does coffee. It was and is still under 1k.

I've used it around 2,500 times since I got it. If I get 5,000 coffees out mine that'll be about equivalent to getting 20,000 out of a 3k machine. And I hope mine will last longer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bijan said:

This and your next point about the milk reservoir is why I went with the A1 that only does coffee. It was and is still under 1k.

I've used it around 2,500 times since I got it. If I get 5,000 coffees out mine that'll be about equivalent to getting 20,000 out of a 3k machine. And I hope mine will last longer.

FWIW the Jura's come apart & back together easier than Saeco's should it come time for servicing.

• Thanks 1

I took my old Jura to their service Centre today for a good cleaning as the spouts were plugged up. They took it apart, cleaned it up, replaced a couple of parts and tested it out. Not sure if it because I bought a new machine from them last week but they didn’t charge me anything. They worked on it for an hour while I waited. What great service. 

I’m taking it to give to my daughter on Sunday. Over 20 years and almost 25,000 cups of coffee made and still going strong. 

8A46B5BB-D96C-4478-83AE-CA19F3A9E908.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 10:55 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

Between friends and family I have seen a lot.  I forgot to mention Saeco, which actually may be more popular than Jura.  One thing to look for on these machines is how the milk reservoir is stored and used.

A cousin of mine repairs these.  More of a tinkerer; it's usually a bad gear that he'll make a new one for or something kind of simple that owners toss the machine.

been using a Saeco for ages. works for me.