JohnS' Smoking Diary 2020

JohnS

1691348591_2020-05-0711_04_48.jpg.b977a128569a99d71244f6b8d59e1544.jpg

Montecristo No.4 UEB Ago 2018

The bad news? I'm sorry to report that the golden run I've enjoyed of two separate UEB '18 boxes of Montecristo No.4 boxes (May and August) is over. Okay, I exaggerate slightly, this might be the third or fourth ordinary one in over 30 sticks smoked. When it comes to Habanos cigars, well...that's not too bad! The good news? I still have some more left from this box to enjoy, my enthusiasm hasn't diminished at all from how well this box has smoked thus far!

The reason I found this average is because the cocoa and coffee flavours overshadowed the gorgeous nut and citrus twang that I adore in these. Make no mistake, that nut and citrus twang was there, it was just muddled in-between the strong tobacco, cocoa and coffee.

So, in conclusion, like my recent Trinidad Topes, I'll forget about this one today and look forward to lighting another soon, probably next week!

• Like 4

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cohiba Piramides Extra (circa 2012) The Cohiba Piramides Extra, chances are...you've never had one, or more likely one or two in your lifetime (or less than a box, which comes in a 10-count).

El Rey del Mundo Choix Suprême MLU Nov 2018 This El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme (and please do kindly pronounce choix like the French - shwa and not choy!) was picked up in a 24:24 quarter pack o

Montecristo No.4 UEB Ago 2018 This is the second Montecristo No.4 I've reached for from this UEB Ago 18 box. How does it compare to the UEB May 2018 box I've half-finished and have been 'waxin

667147039_2020-05-0713_35_59.jpg.a58dc39422448292d744ea42987076c5.jpg

Sancho Panza Non Plus ABR Sep 2011

No doubt you've heard of the recent deletion of this vitola from the Sancho Panza marca and have since picked up a box. If so, good for you! I'm now down to my last three sticks of this 2011 box and after smoking a variety of Sancho Panza Non Plus from this aged box and some from younger ones, I can confidently claim that the aged ones are more appealing, for me.

The reasoning I have was defined within smoking this cigar. I simply enjoyed the simple combination of smooth, mild soft wood, savoury salt and floral note flavours in this aged Non Plus. It was all I needed for an hour.

So, those 2018 boxes I have may see some action in the short-term, but I think I will save the majority of those sticks for the longer-term in the hope they smoke as well as this Sancho Panza Non Plus today.

• Like 3

Great reviews, John!
Some publications - are high-quality cigar articles, short, but very informative. I think it's time for You to start your own blog, follow the path of Ken, I'm sure it will be popular

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

Great reviews, John!
Some publications - are high-quality cigar articles, short, but very informative. I think it's time for You to start your own blog, follow the path of Ken, I'm sure it will be popular emoji106.png

Thank you kindly, @nKostyan! ?

• Like 1

405536825_2020-05-0811_01_39.jpg.7acc4efcabe93a7a6fd74cc8ee915308.jpg

Trinidad Media Luna  BSM Nov 2019

According to Habanos S.A. (as the Trinidad family has a different origin story for the Trinidad marca prior to the Cuban Revolution), 2019 is the 50th anniversary of Trinidad marca. To commemorate the occasion, there has been three new additions to the Trinidad line-up; the Media Luna, the Esmeralda and the Topes.

The Media Luna is a Marinas size with a 50 ring gauge x 115mm (or 4½ inch) length. Initially I thought that the name 'Media Luna', meaning half-moon in Spanish, was a gemstone reference like the Esmeralda (Emerald in English) and the Topes (Topaz in English), but the origin of the name has been included in the internal advisory note which comes with the box. To quote directly, "Media Luna" under (read: the) Trinidad Brand is the vitola selected by Habanos, S.A. in 2019 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the brand created in 1969. It is a vitola which (read: with) excellent dimensions for those who like thick ring gauge and small size Habanos. "Media Luna" is the name of the Hostel with an important architectonic value located in the street of the same name in the city of Trinidad."

It's amazing to consider that just five years ago this marca was languishing. Today, judging by these recent 50th anniversary releases, it has transformed into a brand worthy of premium status, in my opinion.

In the first third, the cigar mainly consisted of wood and coffee layered within a buttered texture. Like the outstanding 2019 Topes I had a little over a week ago, as the cigar entered the middle third it started to resemble a butter pastry with some savoury salt and slight gingerbread-type sweetness. You might even remark that it was a little nutty, as in cashews. In the final third, there was a pickup in intensity in the coffee and woodiness, even a slight Earthiness. I made sure to slow down when smoking this as the flavours on the palate were quite rich and the smoke output per draw was voluminous, to say the least.

Make no mistake this cigar, like the initial 2019 Topes I had recently, smoked like a premium, quality cigar. In comparison to that Topes, it had more strength, more intense woody flavour and the aforementioned nuttiness which wasn't present in the Topes. After smoking this cigar today, I am now eager to see what the Esmeralda is like.

• Like 4

1984999475_2020-05-0812_23_47.jpg.4dfcab205a08a0a1b8512b4e12e64b1f.jpg

Trinidad Esmeralda GEM Nov 2019

As I wrote in my review on the Trinidad Media Luna, according to Habanos S.A. (as the Trinidad family has a different origin story for the Trinidad marca prior to the Cuban Revolution), 2019 is the 50th anniversary of Trinidad marca. To commemorate the occasion, there has been three new additions to the Trinidad line-up; the Media Luna, the Esmeralda and the Topes.

The Esmeralda is a Dinoras size with a 53 ring gauge x 145mm (or 5¾ inches) length. Initially I thought that the name 'Esmeralda', meaning Emerald in Spanish, was a gemstone reference like the the Topes (Topaz in English), but the origin of the name has been included in the internal advisory note which comes with the box. To quote directly, "The charming name of Esmeralda is a reference to one of the famous streets of Trinidad city."

Having sampled the Topes and Media Luna and being very impressed, I was keen to finally smoke the Esmeralda. El Pres has mentioned on 24:24 listings recently that the Esmeralda is "pure Trinidad coffee cake goodness in a medium profile". After having smoked this cigar today, I can affirm that yes, it is a refined, quality cigar full of flavour.

The first third opened with distinctive coffee, cake or dough, wood and a buttered texture which I'm starting to really adore in these new Trinidad releases. There was a little spice on the edges. In the middle third the cigar remained much the same, picking up a little in coffee notes. In the last third I was pleased to note that the cigar still smoked well and didn't intensify greatly, as one can expect with a cigar of this age. I was happy to nub this to its core.

The Esmeralda was, in my opinion, the best of the three new 2019 Trinidad releases that I've sampled thus far. This does not in any way disparage the Topes and Media Luna, because frankly they were excellent too. To best summarise these new releases in terms of blend, think of them as refined medium-strength cigars (the Media Luna being the strongest of the three) with a premium brand onus on delivering rich flavour (typically a combination of coffee, wood, dough or cake, spice, earthiness, nuts and butter). They are the type of cigars that you would finish a night with.

You owe it to yourself to sample these cigars at some point, if you can. Indeed, they are that good.

• Like 3

2011444277_2020-05-0815_02_43.jpg.f7098f41f997528ab6d2993cc94fc856.jpg

Quai d'Orsay No. 50  LMB Jun 2019

This Quai d'Orsay No.50 comes from a 10-count 2019 box, and after having perused my Cuban Cigar Website Smoking diary today, I can easily see in my ratings that my 10-count 2018 boxes have consistently rated higher. A number of those 2018 QdO 50s received full marks in those ratings, in contrast none of the 2019 QdO 50s have done so.

This No.50 today exemplifies why this is the case. The 2018 QdO 50s have been mainly soft egg and butter brioche bread, cedar and ginger/toffee sweet for me. The 2019 QdO 50s have been more woody and spicy, like this one today, although it did have a little toffee sweetness and Quai d'Orsay-like citrus to redeem it somewhat.

If you've experienced Quai d'Orsay No.50s like my 2019 batch, then it's no wonder why the No.54 sells so well in comparison on our forum. I have 4 sticks left from my 2019 box and it's a shame that they've being so underwhelming thus far. Perhaps I should leave them for now and return to my 2018 stock? After all, who knows what further time down can do for these? We shall see!

• Like 3

1303485018_2020-05-1113_53_40.jpg.dc0b53c669b5fe93b5240e9d1aa63f50.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2  ABO Jun 2018

I reached for this Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2 today because I needed a light cigar after feeling a little queasy in the morning. The cold draw was all cloved spice and vanilla, a wonderful combination that had me anticipating for more!

And yes, this did not disappoint. I got that cloved spice and vanilla sweetness on the edges wrapped around a cedar and light powdered cocoa core pretty much consistently throughout.

I was grateful as this one cigar was enough to redeem the day for me!

• Like 4

1565939378_2020-05-1312_24.49-1.jpg.9ea8c835ff18e00005527351629fac49.jpg

Cohiba Medio Siglo TPO Jun 2019

This is the second Cohiba Medio Siglo I've had from a quarter pack I picked up from a 24:24 listing in early April 2020. The first one I had was sensational, this second one was a notch below this; somewhere between above average and excellent.

After that first one, I felt that the Cohiba Medio Siglo does have a buttery texture and coffee notes which relate it to the Cohiba Robusto. However, I'd classify it amongst the richer flavour profiled cigars in the Linea 1492 series, together with the Cohiba Siglo VI. This second one reinforced this viewpoint for me.

This Medio Siglo again opened with quality hay and sweet honey notes. There was more coffee to this cigar than my first one but the biscuit and buttered texture remained consistent throughout and made it quite enjoyable.

I aim to acquire some more when the opportunity presents itself!

• Like 4

852762678_2020-05-1313_45_04.jpg.3ffed516f4cce45320a31ed60a2e6354.jpg

Trinidad Topes  MUP Oct 2019

This is now my third 2019 regular production Topes within a short frame of time (around two weeks) and I can tell you that after my superlative first one and mind-numbing average second one, this third was a 'return-to-form', shall we say.

The first one was spice, coffee and butter which took on elements of butter pastry, some savoury salt and slight gingerbread-type sweetness as it went along. It felt like I was smoking a rich butter croissant, it was all-quality and all-class. The second one was more wood, dark coffee, salt and thankfully a delicious and viscous buttered texture which redeemed the cigar for me. This third one had elements of both the first and second cigar, but more of the first, which made it above-average in quality in my thinking.

This third Topes had spice, milk coffee and a buttered texture from the beginning. As it smoked down it had elements of salt and buttered pastry, like a mix of a croissant crossed with brioche bread, at other times the cigar had stronger notes of wood and strong coffee. The flavours resonated on the palate for hours afterward, this was a cigar that was rich and required attention to smoke slower.

Perhaps the large punch in the back, courtesy of my Credo 3-in-1 Punch cutter and my different cigar-smoking technique for 'sipping' this large-ring gauge cigar from the back, meant that it smoked slower and felt richer to smoke. One thing I do know, these new 2019 Trinidad releases are reputable in keeping with the premium brand status of Trinidad. I've found the Topes, Media Luna and Esmeralda quite satisfying to smoke thus far in 2020.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wertman said:

John I just have to say these diaries are amazing.  People can gain so much info before making purchases and also learning about new cigars.  Thanks again Sir.

Thank you, it's my pleasure! ?

291620083_2020-05-1612_08_36.jpg.6f296ca831cede648c1f18be383fa01c.jpg

El Rey del Mundo Choix Suprême MLU Nov 2019

Before there was Cohiba and Trinidad, before Davidoff and Dunhill, there was El Rey del Mundo. Yes, El Rey del Mundo was the premium Habanos brand pre-Revolution during the 1940s and 50s. How times change! Today, the brand has only two regular production cigars left, the Choix Supreme and the diminutive Demi Tasse.

I guess it's a testament to how trends change over time. El Rey del Mundo is a mild strength brand (in general). It's interesting to note that when Zino Davidoff developed his famous Chateaux line in the 1940s he went into partnership with Hoyo de Monterey, another light-strength brand. In modern times, premium brands such as Cohiba and Trinidad demand rich flavours on the palate for the premium price they carry. El Rey del Mundo may have been left behind in the 1980s, and its heyday would have been prior to the Cuban Government acquisition of Cuban cigar brands in 1960, but a good El Rey del Mundo cigar is still flavoursome, even to this day!

This ERdM Choix Supreme was smoked on a sunny Autumn's afternoon, and boy did it smoke well. I got subtle flavours of almond nut, citrus and floral notes on the edges. The cigar was light and easy to smoke, in fact it smoked like a dream! I must add a caveat though, I dried boxed this cigar the day before loosely in a varnished Cohiba 10-count Piramides box in a room running reverse-cycle air-conditioning at night to maintain warmth. To me, it only made the cigar taste better the next day!

• Like 2

330685807_2020-05-1613_51_20.jpg.66a18586c8b118b7600bf27d00404c61.jpg

Punch Punch UBM Ago 2018

If you could ask one question of the current co-presidents of Habanos S.A, Inocente Núñez and Luis Sánchez-Harguindey Pardo de Vera, it probably wouldn't be, "Why call this cigar the Punch Punch Punch?" I mention this because you'd think that the moniker of a cigar being repeated three times would bring it attention over the years, but ever since the Punch 48, Asia-Pacific Regional Edition Punch 8-9-8 and the new regular production cigar, the Punch Short de Punch came out, I can't help but feel that the Punch Punch Punch has lost a little (or a lot) of its limelight.

Now, I'm not here to denigrate those three aforementioned new releases to the Punch marca. On the contrary, the Punch 48 and Punch 8-9-8 have a quality light chocolate (at times) and peanut profile to them whilst the Punch Short de Punch is more dominant in sour cream and leather notes, to me, the Punch Punch (Punch) is always a cedar and classic 'Cuban Twang' affair when its at its best.

This Punch Punch did have notes of sour cream and leather, but they were minimal in comparison to the cedar and that quintessential sour citrus 'Cuban Twang' we all know and love when it comes to Punch. I was in danger of burning my fingers on this one, it was that delectable!

Like my previous cigar I smoked to this one, a late-2018 El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme, I must add a caveat in admitting that I dried boxed this cigar the day before loosely in a varnished Cohiba 10-count Piramides box with the room running reverse-cycle air-conditioning at night to maintain warmth. To me, it certainly made the cigar taste better the next day!

• Like 2

1682092762_2020-05-1615_44_11.jpg.834409b70b93136cdd966539ab711aac.jpg

Bolívar Belicosos Finos LMB Feb 2019

I couldn't help but notice how quickly 2019 Bolivar Belicosos Finos sold out on two separate 24:24 listings (one PSP and one HQ) in the week I decided to light this BBF up. Furthermore, in both instances, there was some lament from members when more was not available! I can understand why. One doesn't have to be a Bolivar fan to appreciate how hot BBF has been in the last 12 to 18 months (and perhaps more).

And what is the appeal of this cigar? For me, it's the simple cocoa, bitter chocolate, leather and a maltiness that reminds me of dark stout beer (such as Guinness) that I can't get enough of each time I light one up.

Like my previous cigar I smoked to this one, a mid-2018 Punch Punch, I must add a caveat in admitting that I dried boxed this cigar the day before loosely in a varnished Cohiba 10-count Piramides box with the room running reverse-cycle air-conditioning at night to maintain warmth. To me, it no doubt made the cigar taste better the next day!

• Like 3

144622597_2020-05-1810_59_37.jpg.f7c7741bdea57a99d55f55f16e5ec556.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Churchills GOM Ago 2018

What more can I say about a cigar that has been consistently outstanding since 2017? Yes, I have every confidence that if you've sampled the Romeo y Julieta Churchill for yourself lately that you'd know what I mean about quality cherry fruit, cocoa, tobacco, rosewater, sweet anise, turkish delight-type flavours.

The smoking diary inventory on Cuban Cigar Website allows members to rate their cigars out of 5. Below are my marks, which stand as an obvious testimony to how consistently great the RyJ Churchill has been across a number of box codes:

1. OBM Dic 2016 25/30   (Average 4.16/5)
2. OBM May 2017 20/25 (Average 4/5)
3. ASO Nov 2016 24/25  (Average 4.8/5)
4. UEB Ago 2017 26/30  (Average 4.33/5)
5. GOM Ago 2018  8/10  (Average 4/5)
6. BUP May 2019  5/5    (Average 5/5)

You may be wondering what Romeo y Julieta Churchills were like prior to 2016 (or thereabouts). Put it this way, when the Romeo y Julieta Gran Reserva release for 2015 came out, it wasn't a Churchill cigar that adorned it; rather it was a Wide Churchill cigar. Gran Reserva Series releases nearly always come out in 'flagship' cigar releases, i.e. recent releases include the 2017 H.Upmann Sir Winston and the 2019 Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona. I'd have no doubt that if a Romeo y Julieta Gran Reserva release was to come out today, it would have to be a Churchill. Yes, no doubt about it!

• Like 2

109081427_2020-05-1912_54_46.jpg.1d46836f1ba96ce4f007b0f152bd3660.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de Rio Seco ABO Mar 2019

The Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de Rio Seco may only have been with us since 2018 but my what an impact its made! Yes, we may lament its 56 ring gauge, but believe me, this thing sells; it really sells!

For me, it's unlike other Hoyo De Monterrey cigars of the 'Le Hoyo' line. I have des Dieux from 2013/14, du Depute and de San Juan from 2015 and with these cigars I always feel that they can still benefit from more time down. I feel no such sentiment towards these recent-2019 de Rio Seco. These are simply smoking superbly right now!

I find the large ring gauge is always a challenge to straight cut properly, hence why I often go for a large punch cut with my Credo 3-in-1 Punch Cutter. Today, I went for a straight cut with my Xikar XO Cutter and this did the trick. The draw was also spot on.

Like the greater majority of Hoyo de Monterrey cigars, these are light in strength. I enjoyed the cedar, gingerbread and spice aspects to this cigar today, along with its creamy texture. I know I will back for another one from my humidor soon!

• Like 3

1845447151_2020-05-1915_07_12.jpg.93f7ee671efe9fe515ee5b54e1797121.jpg

Montecristo Especiales No.2 REG Nov 2018

This was the first Montecristo Especiales No.2 that I've had this year. The last one I had was in November 2019 and I find they rarely let me down, both in construction and flavour. This one was outstanding from 'go-to-whoa' (i.e. from beginning to end). For a cigar less than two years old, I marvel how light this was in strength and how subtle it was in flavour. Montecristo coffee combined with a powdered milk cocoa, there were hints of vanilla sweetness, almond nut and a creamy texture throughout. Simply wondrous!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

1834021089_2020-05-2508_50_14.jpg.54bb2602274f75d1798b4d4bc3b52c5e.jpg

Montecristo No.4 UEB Ago 2018

This UEB Ago 2018 box just seems to be the "gift that keeps on giving". Usually those gifts have arrived in the form of yummy nut and citrus twang flavour bombs, today this Montecristo No.4 really hit the mark with its strong, deep cocoa and milk coffee flavours. Incidentally, there were some nut and citrus twang notes there too. Construction was absolutely spot-on in regards to draw, ash-length and burn.

Three-quarters of this box is gone, so I should finish it soon I guess. It's been a fun and enjoyable ride thus far!

• Like 3

190867303_2020-05-2711_50_13.jpg.83e18779fc93e7d4186cbd5ebba0ea83.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de Rio Seco ABO Mar 2019

I must say, that in my humble opinion, this is one very 'hot' cigar right now. I don't usually smoke the same cigar vitola back-to-back, but if I did, the Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de Rio Seco would be up there as one of the obvious preferences, from my humidor, for doing so.

They just seem to deliver time-and-time again. I don't think I can get enough of the light cedar, ginger spice, marshmallow and cream texture flavour profile right now, nor have I become accustomed with the fact that this is a Le Hoyo line HdM cigar and I don't have to give it significant rest, like I've done with my other Le Hoyo cigars in the past.

What the heck, I've gone ahead and ordered another 10-count box of Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de Rio Seco from a 24:24 listing recently. (And) Good thing I did, they were all gone within the hour!

• Like 2

1939847039_2020-05-3017_29_30.jpg.f5f05083d6545f1973a34cc0a9949be2.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux 2003

Generously gifted by @Fuzz (thank you kindly!), this des Dieux from a 2003 50 cab was not in any way complex, but it was exemplary!  I especially adored the cream texture, light marshmallow and cedar with hints of vanilla. This is exactly as I like them. On the other hand, I find my 2013 and 2014 sticks more prone to notes of cloves, spice and wood with hints of mushroom or forest floor flavours.

It just goes to show how patience rewards you when it comes to certain Habanos cigars such as the fabled (and much-missed) Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux!

• Like 2

362997008_2020-05-3020_25_54.jpg.5f36bfab7ba5718366532625f0d782d2.jpg

H. Upmann Royal Robusto 2011 - La Casa del Habano Exclusivo SUE Abr 2012

Up until the release of the 2010 Ramon Allones Superiores, La Casa del Habanos cigars were considered exclusive releases with a limited production run. That changed around 2010-11 and since that time the greater majority of LCDH releases have been in continued production ever since (albeit amongst short periods of production hiatus). I have enjoyed a number of them over the years, but strangely enough, this may be the first or second H.Upmann Royal Robusto I've actually sampled. I'd like to thank @baragh for gifting me this cigar to smoke today.

The H.Upmann Royal Robusto was released circa 2012 and is an Edmundo-sized vitola with a 52 ring gauge x 135 mm (or 5⅜ inches) length. Incidentally, the H.Upmann Connossieur A is the same ring gauge and only 5 mm (or one-fifth of an inch) longer, but I would definitely classify the Royal Robusto as a very different Upmann cigar to the Connossieur A. Broadly speaking, in my opinion, there are Upmann cigars that excel in 'softer' flavours such as shortbread and cream and there are Upmann cigars that are more robust giving you stronger cedar, coffee and leather flavours. I'd put the Connossieur A in the former category and the Royal Robusto in the latter one.

With eight years of age on this cigar, the coffee flavour was light but it still had a cedar and leather spine to it. Along the way I enjoyed a vanilla or licorice sweetness in the first third which transposed in the second third with the addition of some cinnamon spice. In the last third I got some further complexity with white pepper notes.

Yes, it was an excellent cigar and for my preference I would favour an Upmann cigar like this with this amount of age on it. It was exactly to my liking.

• Like 3

387918101_2020-06-0613_53_35.jpg.48e95e0d4aa7db9d21ebb5c319112d05.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Maire TEO May 2018

The Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Maire is a thin Entreactos cigar with a 30 ring gauge x 100 mm (or just under 4 inches) length. Unfortunately, the draw on this was a little loose on account of the cigar being slightly underfilled. I also couldn't get a hold of the burn as the cigar kept going out and the ash was so flaky it kept breaking off continually. Flavours however were typical for the Le Hoyo line - wood, light milk cocoa, tobacco with vanilla and cinnamon spice.

The pleasurable flavours couldn't redeem the frustration caused by the multiple construction issues I experienced whilst smoking this cigar today. I was very disappointed to say the least!

• Like 2