JohnS' Smoking Diary 2020

JohnS

1095576272_2020-06-2615_06_00.jpg.8cfab093f545469c5138e33387edeae9.jpg

Ramón Allones Club Allones 2015 - Edición Limitada AUM Jul 2015

The Ramon Allones Club Allones was the second 2015 Limited Edition after the H.Upmann Magnum 56. Unlike the Magnum 56, which has enjoyed strong, positive critical appraisal from enthusiasts as they've aged, the Club Allones has seen a mixed response as its got older.

The RA Club Allones is a 47 ring gauge x 135 mm (or 5⅜ inches) in length vitola which enjoys one of the smaller ring gauges amongst Limited Editions in recent times. They are known for their darker colorado maduro wrappers. This Club Allones proved no exception in its wrapper shade. How did it smoke in comparison to the last one I had? In summary, it was quite similar in flavours, although the body of the cigar has receded in the time that has passed, which is to be expected.

Whereas my last Club Allones was mainly cocoa, coffee and stewed fruit and medium-full in body, this had those aforementioned flavours but was more medium-mild and the stewed fruit was much more 'tangy', especially in the middle third. The cigar suffered from tunneling at points, but this is a common characteristic of Club Allones cigars I find. Overall, it was quite satisfactory, and this is despite my bias towards milder cigars in general.

If you are inclined towards bolder Ramon Allones cigars such as the Specially Selected and have been resting a box of Club Allones, why not try one or two now that they've hit the five-year mark? You may be in for a pleasant cigar-smoking experience

• Like 3

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cohiba Piramides Extra (circa 2012) The Cohiba Piramides Extra, chances are...you've never had one, or more likely one or two in your lifetime (or less than a box, which comes in a 10-count).

El Rey del Mundo Choix Suprême MLU Nov 2018 This El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme (and please do kindly pronounce choix like the French - shwa and not choy!) was picked up in a 24:24 quarter pack o

Montecristo No.4 UEB Ago 2018 This is the second Montecristo No.4 I've reached for from this UEB Ago 18 box. How does it compare to the UEB May 2018 box I've half-finished and have been 'waxin

1509630942_2020-06-2712_00_54.jpg.c9da8725f335bdea79756ca2b08d0bae.jpg

Montecristo Leyenda LGR Sep 2018

The Montecristo Leyenda is part of the Linea 1935 series, a group of three cigars (the others are the Dumas and Maltes) which are the Montecristo version of the Cohiba Behike series. Its dimensions are identical to the 2015 Montecristo 80 Aniversario release, that is big...a Maravillas No.2 cigar with a 55 ring gauge by 165 mm (or 6½ inches) length. These have been marketed as been fuller in strength (or is it flavour, or possibly both?), but I consistently found these to be suitably medium to medium-mild. This Leyenda wasn't as light as an Especiales No.2, for example, but it was nowhere near as strong as some Petit Edmundos or even Montecristo No. 4's I've had. It was fuller than the late-2016 Montecristo 80 Aniversario I had last week though.

This had nowhere near the amount of marshmallow-textured creaminess to it as the aforementioned Montecristo 80 Aniversario smoked recently nor my last Leyenda smoked around nine months ago. It did have strong notes of cocoa, cedar and almond nuts. At times I got hints of pepper in the middle third and more so into the final third. The cigar got a little intense into the last third and I extinguished it with around two-thirds of an inch left of the cigar.

For a premium cigar, I was a little disappointed at the flaky ash and the two or three re-lights from the cigar going out. Otherwise, this was every bit as good as all the other Leyendas I have had in general, albeit it was fuller in flavour and strength. Whilst I have stated in my last review on the Montecristo Linea 1935 Maltes that overall I feel the Linea 1935 is a disappointing release, due to its premium marketing and price point, I will continue to laud the virtues of the Leyenda and I will continue to seek it out and enjoy it on occasion, unlike the Maltes and Dumas.

1840134423_2020-06-2712_11_32.jpg.6e047af2dedddc86688558327890e5df.jpg

• Like 3

642732792_2020-06-2908_25_42.jpg.86dcc65a613ccb7331f96d960402ba3f.jpg

Cohiba Medio Siglo UTL Nov 2019

The Cohiba Medio Siglo is currently enjoying a solid reputation on our forum as a quality 'go-to' cigar which, antithetically in relation to other Cohiba cigars, can be smoked and enjoyed with minimal time rest.

The one main distinction I have enjoyed in all the Medio Siglos I've smoked this year is the consistent honeycomb biscuit in them, something akin to a UK Cadbury Crunchie confectionary or the similar Australian Violet Crumble. This cigar also had the hallmarks of Cohiba grass/hay, butter and mocha coffee, making it like a 'pared-down' Cohiba Siglo VI. It wasn't perfect, the flaky ash and inconsistent burn accounted for that, but for a cigar I smoked right-off-the-truck, it was superb flavour-wise.

Despite being released in late 2016, I'm currently 'kicking myself' as to why it took me a little over three years to get into these. I suppose I was busy enjoying other fine Habanos cigars in the meantime!

• Like 3

416983771_2020-06-2910_11_38.jpg.282b66f2c0b587d271bf82d3d2cd47e3.jpg

Partagás Serie P No.1 2009 - Ceramic Jar (circa 2009)

According to Cuban Cigar Website, Habanos S.A. introduced the Duty Free and Travel Retail Series in 2006. These are quality items, of various types and sizes, released primarily for sale in Duty Free and Travel Retail stores, at a premium price. They contain either single-brand or multi-brand standard production or special release cigars.

The releases thus far include:

2006 - Montecristo Edmundo
2007 - H. Upmann Robustos
2008 - Hoyo de Monterrey Petit Robustos, Montecristo Petit Edmundo and
Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills (a multi-brand collection of standard production cigars in super-premium double-chamber humidifier tubes)
2009 - Partagás Serie P No.1 (released in a ceramic jar)
2010 - Hoyo de Monterrey Double Epicure
2014 - Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills
2015 - Partagás Serie E No.2
2017 - Hoyo de Monterrey Petit Belicoso
2018 - Montecristo Double Edmundo
2019 - H. Upmann Magnum 56 (released in a ceramic jar)

The Partagas Serie P No.1 is a Petit Pyramid with dimensions of 50 ring gauge x 127 mm (or 5 inches) in length. It was released to market in 2010 and received positive appraisal at that time. It was noted for having flavours of coffee, wood, hay, pepper, cinnamon, chocolate and sweet cinnamon and honey notes. So broadly speaking, it was identified as an excellent and complex cigar.

How is it now that ten years have past? This cigar proves the old adage that a quality cigar will retain its characteristics with age. It no longer had elements of wood or chocolate but it certainly did have refined hay, pepper and honey to compliment the leather that has now developed. It was simply a joy to smoke and nub.

If you've picked up this release, and still have some cigars left, then know with confidence that the cigar is still smoking well. If you've finished them then at least you can still console yourself with the ornate ceramic jar!

• Like 3

1874255164_2020-06-2912_07_41.jpg.6375a5bc98f154717e39782a50ecc41a.jpg

H. Upmann Royal Robusto 2011 - La Casa del Habano Exclusivo (circa 2017)

As I wrote recently, the H.Upmann Royal Robusto was released circa 2012 and is an Edmundo-sized vitola with a 52 ring gauge x 135 mm (or 5⅜ inches) length. Incidentally, the H.Upmann Connossieur A is the same ring gauge and only 5 mm (or one-fifth of an inch) longer, but I would definitely classify the Royal Robusto as a very different Upmann cigar to the Connossieur A. Broadly speaking, in my opinion, there are Upmann cigars that excel in 'softer' flavours such as shortbread and cream and there are Upmann cigars that are more robust giving you stronger cedar, coffee and leather flavours. I'd put the Connossieur A in the former category and the Royal Robusto in the latter one.

My recently smoked H.Upmann Royal Robusto last month had coffee flavour which was light with a cedar and leather spine to it, a vanilla or licorice sweetness in the first third which transposed in the second third with the addition of some cinnamon spice. In the last third I got some further complexity with white pepper notes.

This Royal Robusto was much the same, as every bit as good and complex, with perfect construction evident from the ash-lengths and rings.

• Like 2

202325829_2020-06-3010_23_29.jpg.cfad2c41819ab8b2da4eeff576ebb861.jpg

Cohiba Medio Siglo TPO Jun 2019

What a difference a day and a different box code can make to a cigar! Yesterday I greatly enjoyed a UTL Nov 2019 Medio Siglo, today I had to slow-puff my way through a TPO Jun 2019 Medio Siglo. I was still able to get some nice notes of honeycomb biscuit out of this cigar, it's just that its potency was too intense for my liking, hence why I had to smoke so slowly.  I also got some butter and mocha coffee at times.

In the end, this was okay. The rich smoke and flavour at least made it a good 75 to 80 minute cigar. In fact, all these Cohiba Medio Siglos have been quite viscous for me on the palate, I've appreciated how they have all smoked for a similar length of time to smoking a Cohiba Robustos.

• Like 2

105858600_2020-06-3011_40_14.jpg.2150ade8d10a6ffe303a24ee26d7f327.jpg

Cohiba Pirámides 2006 - Edición Limitada POS Nov 2006

The 2006 Cohiba Piramides Limited Edition was a re-release of the 2001 Cohiba Limited Edition of the same vitola. It was the fourth Cohiba Limited Edition release. In-between the 2001 and 2006 Piramides' we got the 2003 Double Coronas and 2004 Sublimes.

Prior to the release of the 2012 regular production cigar, the Cohiba Piramides Extra, I used to think that the 2001 and 2006 Piramides' Limited Editions were the only Piramides cigars released in the Cohiba marca. However, there haven't been just two special Cohiba Piramides releases prior to the regular production addition of the CPE. No, in that time prior to 2012, there were in fact another 7 special Piramides releases in the Cohiba marca. Yes, seven! And all these were your standard 52 ring gauge x 156 mm in length.

This 2006 Cohiba Piramides Limited Edition was unlike the last two Cohiba Piramides cigars I've smoked this year, the 2003 Reserva special release and the 2012 Piramides Extra. The 2003 Seleccion Reserva Piramides was much milder in strength, more subtle and nuanced in flavour and consisted mainly of refined grass/hay, a creamy texture, cedar, light milk coffee and vanilla bean notes. The 2012 Piramides Extra was fuller in strength, fuller in flavour and consisted of mainly strong mocha coffee, Earth, a buttery texture, some honey sweetness and a hint of orange citrus.

This 2006 Piramides Limited Edition had some chocolate notes but mainly dominated in coffee and wood flavours, with some grass/hay and spice. It was neither mild, like the 2003 Reserva Piramides nor fuller like the 2012 Piramides Extra described above, rather it was medium in strength and body and not as rich in flavour profile, nor did it contain hints of Earth and Leather, like the 2003 Double Coronas and 2004 Sublimes.

In summary,  this was a good cigar which demonstrated good longevity in its flavours and strength. It certainly hasn't gone past its peak period, in my opinion.

• Like 2

1911159674_2020-07-0210_09_16.jpg.bf37a8cc6e4cb0855620ec6214e5e61b.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de San Juan (circa 2019)

I used to say that the Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de San Juan was the latest addition to the Le Hoyo line but since the 2018 de Rio Seco was released I can no longer say that. At least I can ponder that six years have passed since the de San Juan was added to the Le Hoyo line. (Has it really been that long?)

When they first came to market in late 2014/early 2015 I enjoyed quite a few of these but this de San Juan is just the third I've enjoyed since early 2018. What happened, did I hear you ask? Nothing out of the ordinary, I was just distracted by the de Rio Seco for a little awhile. This de San Juan came to me via the generosity of our host for winning a Word of the Week competition. After a rest period of a little over 30 days I was eager to sample this one first, the other two (prize cigars) being the Trinidad Esmeralda and Quai d'Orsay No.50.

After smoking this today, I can presume that this was a 2019 specimen of a de San Juan and I can emphatically say that it still remains every bit as good as the numerous examples I had when they first were released. In comparison to the de Rio Seco, this de San Juan was less creamy, had less sweet spice (like ginger) but still retained a distinctive cedar core, had a subtle creamy texture, characteristic tea notes and a cinnamon or vanilla sweetness.

How did it compare to the recent outstanding Le Hoyo de Rio Seco cigars I've enjoyed? It didn't really; this de San Juan was just different but every bit as good. If I had the opportunity to grab a box from an upcoming 24:24 listing I would, just like I would with the de Rio Seco. Luckily, I have a late-2015 box of de San Juan to go through first.

• Like 2

1765136563_2020-07-0211_47_58.jpg.4f4f5c086306bc82799780a80fc494bc.jpg

Romeo y Julieta 109 2005 - 130 Aniversario Humidor (circa 2005)

Just like the Romeo y Julieta Aguilas I smoked recently, it's unlikely that you've come across a review on the Romeo y Julieta 109 before. Again, it's just as unlikely that you've even heard of it. If you haven't...don't fret! This cigar came paired with the Romeo y Julieta Aguilas in a Special Release 130 Aniversario Humidor, released in 2005. There were 250 Humidors made with 50 cigars of the 109 and 50 cigars of the Aguilas included. I was fortunate enough to get this cigar in a trade with @ATGroom, the proprietor of Cuban Cigar Website.

Incidentally, the only other place that you are likely to cite a review on the RyJ 109 is on Alex's very funny Dusky Beauties blog here:

https://www.duskybeauties.com/romeo-y-julieta-109-130-aniversario-humidor/

The Romeo y Julieta 109 - 130 Aniverario Humidor cigar is a 50 ring gauge x 184 mm (or 7¼ inches) Nro. 109, except that it is not (a numero 109 vitola) because it lacks the distinctive bullet head common on all Nro. 109 cigars. In his review on Dusky Beauties, Alex noted how it had dessert spices and a creamy sweetness. For me, it did indeed have a creamy sweetness to it, but not at all much spice. It was much like a cherry and coconut sweet dessert cigar layered with a soft, creamy topping. Simply gorgeous would be the best way to describe it. It wasn't as good as the Aguilas, and it did develop a small crack in the wrapper around halfway, but the cigar remained beautifully intact into the last third and was nevertheless exemplary.

Once again, all that's left for me to do in this short mini-review is to thank Alex again for the trade and the opportunity to sample such a rare and magnificent cigar.

• Like 2

313262855_2020-07-0309_31_59.jpg.fa8101f1cff252503974a78a20225d2c.jpg

Quai d'Orsay No. 50 (circa 2019)

When I first tried the new re-branded Quai d'Orsay No.50 and No.54 releases I was overwhelmed by the QdO No.50 and underwhelmed by the QdO No.54. Fast forward two or three years and my feelings about these cigars has changed somewhat after smoking more examples. I no longer see the Quai d'Orsay No.50 through 'rose-coloured glasses' nor do I view the Quai d'Orsay No.54 as an anathema to the Quai d'Orsay brand.

The reasoning for the re-evaluation on these cigars is because the QdO No.50 really needs to be smoked slowly to proved balanced flavours, something El Pres correctly mentions when the cigar comes up on 24:24 listings and the QdO No.54 no longer smokes like bland hay and muddled licorice and tobacco, like it used to for me.

This Quai d'Orsay No.50 was the second cigar I smoked from the 3-pack prize I was gifted by our generous host for winning a 'Word of the Week' competition. After 30 days rest I can confirm that this cigar did indeed need to be smoked slowly to balance out its flavours. I got those lovely brioche bread, quality cedar, hazelnut and toffee sweetness from the get-go; however, when I was smoking this a little quickly due to my enjoyment of the cigar I found that my palate would be overwhelmed with stronger spice and wood flavours. Smoking very slowly helped to re-dress this imbalance.

Perhaps this is a consequence of the blends used for the 2019 stock? Then again, perhaps it is not. One thing I do know, I will be enjoying my Quai d'Orsays more slowly into the foreseeable future from now on.

• Like 3

1132121529_2020-07-0310_31_58.jpg.a4f53204fe7122510a77315ab34d5bbe.jpg

Trinidad Esmeralda (circa 2019)

This was the final cigar I smoked from my 3-pack prize for winning a 'Word of the Week' competition recently. After 30 days rest, I'm pleased that all three cigars (a Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de San Juan, a Quai d'Orsay No.50 and this Trinidad Esmeralda) smoked very, very well.

The Trinidad Esmeralda is one of those cigars that doesn't need any further accolades to assuage one of its virtues, in my opinion. It's simply a quality cigar that, for me, delivers satisfaction time-and-time again. This Esmeralda had perfect construction, perfect burning and yes, perfect flavours. It smoked like a premium cigar should; providing full flavours of coffee, wood, butter and salt with a hint of nuts and earthiness on the palate at around a medium strength.

What more could one ask for? Perhaps the desire that Habanos S.A could continue to make Trinidad Esmeraldas exactly like this one into the near future!

• Like 4

533055762_2020-07-0313_25_18.jpg.79e02eb516649ab16007f1b10f4d2152.jpg

H.Upmann No.2 LUB May 2014

If you've ever wondered if the H.Upmann No.2 is related to the Montecristo No.2 (and also the Diplomaticos No.2), the simple answer is yes. They don't just share the same vitola dimensions. When Alonso Menendez bought the Particulares cigar factory in 1935, he was mainly interested in developing the Particulares and lesser known Byron brands. He brought out the Montecristo brand in that year in the now famous Montecristo No.1, No.2, No.3, No.4 and No.5 range. After partnering with Pepe Garcia in 1936, these two gentlemen made another fateful decision in purchasing the ailing H.Upmann factory (and brand) from J.Frankau SA in 1937. The Montecristo range was soon copied for the H.Upmann marca and hence the H.Upmann No.1, No.2, No.3, No.4 and No.5 were born. The H.Upmann No.3 and No.5 were the first to be discontinued in the early 1980s, the H.Upmann No.1 and No.4 were discontinued in 2002.

When Cubatabaco introduced the post-Revolution Diplomaticos brand in 1966, they similarly copied the Montecristo and H.Upmann Nos 1 to 5 range. Another thing that these Piramides cigars share is the doubling of their brand and individual name, hence why these cigars are called the Montecristo Montecristo No.2, H.Upmann Upmann No.2 and Diplomaticos Diplomaticos No.2

The H.Upmann No.2, like its Montecristo No.4-sized sadly discontinued brother, the H.Upmann Petit Corona, can be fuller-bodied when youthful. For that reason, I like to age these cigars to bring out their shortbread cream flavour, but it takes time...typically 5 to 8 years, maybe more.

At six years of age, this was more intense in strength than my last H.Upmann No 2, albeit, that was awhile ago. The strength was more akin to a H.Upmann Magnum 46 rather than a H.Upmann Connossieur A or Sir Winston, for example. The one flavour that exemplified this cigar-smoking experience was definitely the white pepper, which stayed consistent throughout the thirds. The spine of the cigar was more like wood and leather, complemented by a slight honey or licorice sweetness at times. I have a one more H.Upmann No.2 in my humidor and I think I will leave it to rest a little while longer. Thankfully I have a another box of 2014 H.Upmann No.2's resting, which I envisage will need another two to four years to suit my taste.

• Like 2

122152221_2020-07-0611_22_24.jpg.be1105bc623d11bbd71192f995912cb7.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de Rio Seco ABO Abr 2019

The Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de Rio Seco has truly been an outstanding cigar for me lately. Today's smoke was not as stellar as my recent examples, but as a testament to how good this cigar is right now, even when it's ordinary it's definitely better than average.

My very best HdM Le Hoyo de Rio Secos this year have had a balanced marshmallow-like creamy texture to them, whereas this did not. It still had a nice element of that creamy texture and licorice-type sweetness, however, it was more potent in ginger spice and more wood than subtle cedar.

I still have four cigars left from this box code. If they were all like this I'd still be satisfied.

• Like 2

1334410639_2020-07-1014_07_35.jpg.779da5471f2bb6b8c16a9725ad7d863f.jpg

Cohiba Siglo III SOM Dic 2016

The Siglo III is and remains my favourite of the linea 1492 series. The reason is simple, the vitola is 42 ring gauge by 155 mm (or 6.1 inches) in length and that, I feel, is the ideal cigar size for me.

The Linea 1492 series was announced in November 1992 as the new line of Cohiba intended to replace the premium Davidoff Chateau series which concluded in 1991. When these cigars did hit the market (in 1994), the Cohiba Siglo III, a coronas grandes cigar with a 42 ring gauge x 155 mm (or 6⅛ inches) length was the replacement cigar for the Davidoff Château Mouton Rothschild cigar in the Chateau series.

Today, the Cohiba Siglo III is only one of two regular production coronas grandes cigars in existence (the other is the Montecristo Tubos). The last one deleted from  Habanos S.A's catalogue, the highly-regarded cigar enthusiast favourite, the Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux was discontinued in 2014 but most coronas grandes-sized cigars were discontinued in the early-2000s soon after Habanos S.A. was 50% acquired by Altidis in 2000.

This Siglo III had a stupendous cedar and baking spice combined flavour to it on the cold draw. It was so impressive, that I had to savour the taste with a few more 'cold draw' 'puffs than usual, as I knew that this cigar would hit the ground running with delightful flavours. I was soon proven correct.

The cedar and baking spice soon gave way to a core Cohiba grass/hay and lemongrass citrus flavour with some sweet honey lilting in and out along the way. Throughout the first and second third I also got some vanilla bean notes. Into the final third the cigar was slightly more woody but still smoked well with those aforementioned characteristic Cohiba flavours.

It goes without saying that I smoked this to my fingertips. At a few months short of four years of age this Cohiba Siglo III truly was a pleasure to smoke. 

• Like 3

689138463_2020-08-0911_28_49.jpg.d8ad4fb2d703dbce9c6daf8c209f37c4.jpg

2020 Nudies N3 Carlota (Maduro) Version Two

In 2019, Hamlet Paredes and Rob Ayala worked together to release the Nudies N1 Lancero and N3 Carlota. The N1 Lancero aimed to replicate the blend of the long-discontinued Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.1 and No.2. The N3 Carlota replicated the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3.

They were well-received by our members, with the consensus opinion that they were remarkably 'Cubanesque' for cigars utilising Non-Cuban tobacco. Construction on these cigars were consistently sound, the small team of rollers responsible for the rollout no doubt contributed to this consistency.

The 2020 Version Two Nudies has seen an additional Maduro-wrappered release for each vitola. I have been fortunate enough to have been sent a sample to test prior to their release at the end of 2020.

Prior to smoking this Maduro N3 Carlota, I must acknowledge my deferment to seeking out Maduro-wrappered cigars in general. The reason for this is because I feel that they tend to even out the overall blends of the cigars that carry these wrappers. What I mean by this is the Maduro wrappers are well-known for imparting cocoa or chocolate flavours and for my tastes I question whether they can sometimes subdue the subtlety of the blends in the rest of the cigar. Of course, this criticism can't be applied to all Habanos Maduro-wrappered releases, however I thought it prudent to admit my bias.

The 2020 N3 Carlotas are a 38 ring gauge by 152 mm (or 6 inches) in length vitola. The cold draw was similarly 'grassy' in feel as the 2019 versions, only this was 'rounder', that is, not as sharp. The very first puff revealed a wonderful anise or licorice sweet flavour which was the core flavour of the cigar from beginning to end. The expected cocoa/chocolate flavours were nowhere near as dominant as I thought they would be. Yes, they were there but they were wonderfully balanced together with the sourdough and leather. At times I got some cloved spice here and there, but only on occasion.

This cigar was a pleasant revelation. It was milder than the 2019 N3 Carlotas I've smoked, wonderfully complex and balanced. In summary, think of some of the finest darker-wrappered Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4's you've smoked being combined with a Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3, but not as 'toasty'. Now that would be a fine cigar indeed. And indeed this was!

• Like 2

1619265811_2020-08-0914_36_29.jpg.7c67a7370fd543f0c9b43e1e85e3d757.jpg

2020 Nudies N3 Carlota (Rosado) Version Two

Having sampled the Maduro-wrappered 2020 N3 Carlota today, I was eager to sample the Colorado-wrappered 2020 N3 Carlota to compare similarities and differences. The cold draw was more akin to the 2019 N3 Carlotas, that is it was much more distinctively 'grassy' and sharper.

The difference in wrappers was evident upon smoking from the first few puffs. This N3 Carlota was stronger in flavour, smoke output and more towards medium-mild to medium in strength. The anise or licorice flavours, sourdough and leather core was there; however I'd speculate that the absence of cocoa/chocolate upon this cigar gave me sentimental notes of Hoyo de Monterrey des Dieux woodiness and vanilla sweetness at times.

Unlike the original Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3, the overall texture or mouthfeel of this cigar was nowhere near as 'toasty'; rather it was more like a traditional Cuban cigar, more 'rounder' and slightly cream-like.

Overall, I'd consider both the Maduro and Colorado (or is it Rosado? - no doubt El Pres will confirm) N3 Carlotas an improvement over the debut 2019 N3 release. Their strongest appraisal both come from their much-admired tweaks to inspire more complexity in their blends.

• Like 2

1532326398_2020-07-1114_38_58.jpg.af9b3dc5c85910c47cd319eda64d88ed.jpg

Cuaba Distinguidos LGR Nov 2018

Cuaba is a brand often derided on our forum for two reasons mainly. Firstly, for inconsistency in delivering quality construction and/or flavour and secondly, for never really being a comparative premium marca to Cohiba and Trinidad as Habanos S.A intended when the marca was first released in 1996. As a consequence, Cuaba doesn't get new regular production additions and it is the only marca (yes that's correct...the only marca!) that has never had a Regional Edition release.

2020 onwards may see a change in fortune for this lowly-revered brand. Habanos S.A will bring out a 10-count of Cuaba Britanicas Extras in tubes (48 ring gauge x 137 mm or 5⅜ inches in length) and Pacific Cigar Company (PCC) is aiming to release a lucky number of 8888 boxes of 10-count Cuaba Tacos Asia-Pacific Regional Editions (47 ring gauge x 158 mm or 6¼ inches in length). I can see Rob and Ken eager in anticipation to review these whenever they come out!

The two main Cuaba cigars that come up on 24:24 listings are the Divinos (43 rg x 101 mm or 4 inches in length) and the Distinguidos (52 rg x 162 mm or 6⅜ inches in length), albeit not that often. This Distinguidos, I have to starkly admit, flavour-wise was outstanding. I got peanut, cointreau-essenced citrus and mild shortbread through-and-through until the middle of the last third when the cigar picked up in toasted tobacco notes. Still, I greatly, greatly enjoyed this 140 minute ride!

I still got some inconsistency in regards to construction with this cigar today as I had to administer a few re-lights and contend with an uneven burn in the middle third due to some bunched leaves. However, unlike the Divinos which I find more prevalent in toasted tobacco, this Distinguidos was smooth, mild yet savoury and sweet in its flavours. I wish PCC all the luck in getting consistently constructed and tasting 10-count boxes of their upcoming Regional Edition Tacos!

• Like 2

686549047_2020-07-1212_00_28.jpg.6669e5aeafa0f0fa59a5a42a7e0d4bef.jpg

Edmundo Dantes Conde Belicoso 2016 - Edición Regional México TOR Nov 2016

According to Cuban Cigar Website, the Edmundo Dantes brand was created in 2007 by Max Gutmann, owner of the Mexican Habanos distributor, for use with Mexican special releases. Because of the design similarities with Montecristo, it was long rumoured that these were Montecristo cigars, sold under the Edmundo Dantes brand because of 'copyright issues' in Mexico. This is untrue. Montecristo cigars are sold in Mexico.

There have been three releases thus far; the 2007 Nro. 109 El Conde 109 (50 rg x 184 mm or 7¼ inches in length), the 2011 Sublimes Conde 54 (54 rg x 164 mm or 6½ inches in length) and the 2016 Campanas Conde Belicoso (52 rg x 140 mm or 5½ inches in length). All three releases have been highly reputable and sought after by cigar enthusiasts.

This Edmundo Dantes Conde Belicosos certainly lived up to its lavish reputation. Best described as a blend of Montecristo and Por Larranaga marcas, this was all cocoa, coffee, nut and caramel marshmallow sweetness with a gorgeous citrus tang on the retrohale and draw. It's no wonder these sell and are much sought after. Consider yourself fortunate if you've picked up a box!

• Like 3

2134649893_2020-08-1217_35_06.jpg.471425bad2a0f7267888140cd7f5177b.jpg

2020 Nudies N1 Lancero (Rosado) Version Two

After smoking the 2020 N3 Rosado and Maduro Carlotas I was interested in sampling the N1 Lanceros to compare them to the 2020 Carlotas and last year's 2019 debut run of N1 Lanceros. The Lancero is a long and skinny with a 38 ring gauge x 192 mm (or 7½ inches) length.

The cold draw was similarly grassy as the Rosado N3 Carlota was a few days ago. The first few puffs upon lighting were a revelation of the most distinct apple and pear citrus flavours combined with strong cocoa, like a youthful Ramon Allones cigar without spice. This continued until the middle of the first third whereby the cigar settled nicely.

In the middle third, the apple and pear citrus flavours were still lurking in the background but at this point the cigar took on a stonefruit flavour reminiscent of a Saint Luis Rey cigar. The cocoa really settled, it was much more in the background and I got hints of peach or dried apricot, even a little coffee. Retrohaling along the way also proved a revelation as normally with Cuban cigars I'd get quite a bit of spice through the nose with a cigar that was smoking like this but instead I got a full-flavoured cocoa hit. It was quite unique, for my experience.

In the last third the cigar revealed its underlying tannic and grassy nature, more akin to the 2019 N1 Lancero with its core coffee, sourdough and leather flavours.

In summary, this was a beautifully complex long and skinny. I wouldn't hesitate to smoke another if I had the chance to.

• Like 2

1252406988_2020-08-1219_16_33.jpg.abecde185b357e61641d26e507c8d71f.jpg

2020 Nudies N1 Lancero (Maduro) Version Two

After enjoying the 2020 Rosado N1 Lancero I was curious to see if the Maduro version was a 'step-up' according to my palate, as was the case for the 2020 Carlotas. The cold draw was nowhere near as distinctively grassy and tannic, rather it was simple cocoa and 'run-of-the-mill' tobacco, much more muted than the Rosado N1 Lancero.

This cigar was nowhere near as complex as the N1 Rosado Lancero. I got flavours similar to the 2019 N1 Lancero; coffee, sourdough and leather with a nice, subtle coating of cocoa powder. Unlike the Rosado N1 Lancero, I didn't get those sweet and pleasant citrus flavours which made the Rosado lancero so endearing. Both Lanceros were easy on the nose to retrohale and around the medium to medium-mild mark in strength.

I was fortunate enough to be on a mid-week FoH ZOOM meet-up whereby El Pres explained that the Natural cigars in this series are graded Rosado according to Nicaraguan custom, whereas for Cuban cigars they'd be labelled Colorado wrappers. The other fact that he mentioned was that the blends in the Lanceros were identical, the only differences in the cigars were the wrappers.

All I can say is...what a difference the wrapper makes!

• Like 2

1538185188_2020-07-1311_46_56.jpg.3ed466d3b29375a3533ba7474c626366.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Churchills GOM Ago 2018

Out of the myriad box codes of Romeo y Julieta Churchills I've enjoyed in the past three or four years this GOM Ago 2018 one would be my least-favoured, critically-speaking. That's quite a testament to how consistent I've found the Romeo y Julieta Churchill since its low ebb, for me, in the mid-2010s and earlier when it seemed every RyJ Churchill I tried was just bland toasted tobacco (and I mean every one!).

It wasn't that this one was that bad either. Sure, it had fruity elements of cherry, sweet notes of turkish delight, rosewater essence and anise/licorice and core flavours of cocoa and nutmeg but that toasted tobacco dominated at times, especially in the back half and the number of re-lights on this cigar grew to be too numerous to ignore to chance or anomaly.

Even when RyJ Churchills are like this one today, I can still live with it. I was fine to smoke it over two-and-a-half hours reading a good book and enjoying the mid-afternoon winter's sunshine complimented by two or three quality espresso-flavoured coffees. But deep down, I still yearn for my next one to be better!

• Like 2

1273377725_2020-07-1611_40_52.jpg.08351786219f4876f99ea586decc0021.jpg

La Gloria Cubana Unifree 2018 - Edición Regional Turquía LGR Oct 2018

The La Gloria Cubana Unifree is the second Turkish Regional Edition announced in 2018 but released for market in late-2019. I wrote an extensive review on this cigar around three weeks ago. I was hoping that this second one would be an improvement on the first; alas, it was not to be!

Construction-wise, it was fair, however, in regards to flavours I lament to tell you that there were barely any to decipher this time. It's not that this cigar was flavourless, rather, it was more that the flavours were nondescript. Yes, they were there but they were nothing in comparison to a traditional La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.4. I was only able to decipher some wood, pepper and some tangy fruit (but only just). To say I was disappointed after finishing the cigar would be an understatement.

Then again, with further research I was able to procure the origin of the peculiar name 'Unifree'. It turns out that this cigar is named after the Unifree Duty Store in Istanbul Airport. Understanding this and reflecting on the type of customer who would frequent such a business, I've come since to appreciate why the Unifree is as bland as it is, in consideration of how complex the LGC Medaille d'Or No.4 can be.

The La Gloria Cubana Unifree is not a cigar for me. Likewise, it's probably not a cigar for you either. Why don't we leave it for the casual cigar smoker and/or international tourist (when planes start flying internationally again!) and hope the La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.4 returns from hiatus in the meantime, shall we?

• Like 2

1097138331_2020-07-1613_59_05.jpg.4c113ad01fe8dcce60ffe406ba1667d5.jpg

Punch Short de Punch TPO Sep 2019

These Punch Short de Punch have been usually so dependable for me of late that I was genuinely surprised today when this one turned out to be 'run-of-the-mill' ordinary. For me, these have been a noteworthy addition to the Punch marca on two accounts. Firstly, for a Petit Robusto it offers great value as they take quite some time to smoke and secondly, they embody the classic Punch flavour profile; that is sour cream, cedar, leather and 'Cuban twang', that sour citrus flavour which makes Cuban cigars stand out from Non-Cuban ones.

This Punch Short de Punch still took some time to smoke but flavour-wise it was mainly cedar and some Cuban twang. Admittedly, I did smoke this on a very cold day (for my part of the world) whereby the sun hid behind the clouds and the temperature did not rise above 15° Celsius (59° Fahrenheit) even at midday. This resulted in some more draws than normal and a moistened cigar head which no doubt induced some bitterness into the flavours of the cigar.

I think I will wait for a dry day soon before I light up my next Punch Short de Punch. I have every confidence that it will smoke very differently to this one today!

• Like 2