JohnS' Smoking Diary 2020

JohnS

1182150510_2020-07-1719_40_15.jpg.1fe23fb1e210324aa09107037e7fb2f3.jpg

Diplomáticos Ammunition 2018 - Edición Regional Phoenicia RAG Sep 2018

The Diplomaticos Ammunition was released in November 2018 by Phoenicia Trading, the exclusive Habanos distributor in the Middle East, Cyprus, Greece and parts of Africa. 'Ammunition' is a reference to "the challenge, thrill, and resolve felt and experienced by hunters and poker players, dedicated to their passion, knowing of the gratitude for the accomplishment of success,” according to Hisham Lofti, commercial director of Phoenicia Trading A.A. The Diplomaticos Ammunition came out in 10000 10-count boxes (so 100000 sticks overall) and is a 54 ring gauge x 150 mm (or 5⅞ inches) in length Geniales cigar, having the same dimensions as the Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de San Juan and H.Upmann Connossieur B.

I smoked an Ammunition a month ago and noted it was more sweet than savoury, with quality sourdough, cinnamon and nutmeg being the main flavours. After smoking this cigar today, I can still confidently affirm that this is a quality release. It had notes of sourdough, bell pepper (or capsicum), cinnamon and nutmeg spice and even hints of strawberries and cream, which were flavours more characteristic of the Diplomaticos Nortenos Canadian Regional Edition for me.

Again I reiterate that if you can get you hands on this release then do not hesitate in doing so. This is simply a great example of a Diplomaticos cigar release!

• Like 2

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cohiba Piramides Extra (circa 2012) The Cohiba Piramides Extra, chances are...you've never had one, or more likely one or two in your lifetime (or less than a box, which comes in a 10-count).

El Rey del Mundo Choix Suprême MLU Nov 2018 This El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme (and please do kindly pronounce choix like the French - shwa and not choy!) was picked up in a 24:24 quarter pack o

Montecristo No.4 UEB Ago 2018 This is the second Montecristo No.4 I've reached for from this UEB Ago 18 box. How does it compare to the UEB May 2018 box I've half-finished and have been 'waxin

316482585_2020-07-1911_40_48.jpg.69f2b0b298aed369356d61171727e6fd.jpg

Cohiba Siglo III SOM Nov 2016

I smoked a Cohiba Siglo III from the same box around a week ago and so I was looking forward with eagerness to light this one up today. From the first few puffs I settled into a familiar story. That is, by asking myself, "how good is this cigar?" Alas, it wasn't to last!

That quintessential Cohiba grass/hay and sweet honey that we all know and love when it comes to Cohiba soon gave way to more intense and potent plumes of smoke and surprisingly, woodiness. Sure, the grass/hay was there, together with some sour lemon-like citrus to keep me interested but this Siglo III lacked the hints of creamy texture for which it's renowned for after settling like this.

Amazingly, and I mean this most sincerely, this cigar picked up into the last third. It wasn't as if I wasn't enjoying it during the middle third, it's just that the Siglo III is my very favourite vitola of the Linea 1492 series and so that brings with it huge expectations. At the end of the smoke that 'woodiness' and sour citrus combination gave way to the traditional Cohiba grass/hay and honey flavours which I enjoyed until I couldn't nub the cigar anymore. It was like the clouds parting on an overcast day to reveal glorious rays of sunshine...invigorating!

This was the last of my older Siglo III from my humidor. Thankfully, I have some other well-rested Siglo I, II and VI to explore in reserve while my Siglo III and V reserves rest a little while longer.

• Like 2

2046196018_2020-07-2013_05_04.jpg.1044646cb903fa98dad6c21c17846452.jpg

Cohiba Espléndidos 2003 - Reserva Selección (circa 2003)

The Cohiba Reserva Seleccion from 2002 was the first special release in the Reserva line. Nowadays, the Reserva series is a bi-annual release, alternating with Gran Reserva releases. They also include common regular production cigars, albeit made with higher quality leaf. The first Reserva release was paradoxical in that it included 30 cigars (which is around twice what you get in these type of releases these days) and it included five vitolas; 8 Piramides (i.e. standard size 52 ring gauge x 156 mm, not the bigger-sized current regular production cigar, the Cohiba Piramides Extra which is 54 ring gauge x 160 mm), 4 Esplendidos, 6 Robustos, 6 Coronas Especiales and 6 Media Coronas (which was a vitolas specifically made for this release, being identical in ring gauge to the Coronas Especiales but 10 mm shorter - 38 ring gauge x 142 mm and the first Cohiba release to include medio tiempo leaf).

This Cohiba Esplendidos 2003 Reserva Seleccion cigar had more similarities with regular production Cohiba Esplendidos I've smoked of the same age than the Cohiba Piramides 2003 Reserva Seleccion I smoked a few months ago did in comparison to regular production aged Cohiba Piramides Extra. I'd still rate this 2003 Reserva Seleccion cigar more highly than the many mid-2000s Esplendidos I've smoked, and that's saying something as those latter cigars have consistently been outstanding cigars.

I guess the main difference in comparing this 2003 Reserva Seleccion Esplendidos to aged regular production Esplendidos is the quality grass/hay, deep cedar and vanilla bean consistency to the cigar. There was still some mocha coffee and buttered texture to this Esplendidos, but those flavours came across much milder like milk coffee and the buttered texture to the cigar was more creamy.

I must thank and acknowledge @Trevor2118 for gifting me this cigar to smoke and review. It proved a testament to the longevity of quality Habanos cigars as this smoked so supremely well.

• Like 2

1493711298_2020-07-2212_07.23-1.jpg.167913d23c6bcae115966d2b9bbedc18.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux BUM Feb 2014

I have a confession to make. You see, when I first really got into smoking the fabled, and now much-missed, Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux I used to see them as the epitome of creaminess in a cigar. This view was naturally askewed by the fact that I had become familiar with 2003 des Dieuxs. As a result, I figured that the greater majority of des Dieux were like those '03 examples. With time, I've come to understand that those '03 des Dieuxs were a 'class above' and other HdM Le Hoyo de Dieux (up to when they were discontinued in 2014) were subject to normal development over time like other Le Hoyo cigars.

When I mention the aging development of Le Hoyo line cigars I am naturally not including the recent additions to the line, the 2018 Rio de Seco and the 2014 de San Juan. Like Cohiba in the past five years or so, these two Le Hoyo additions seem to develop their peak flavours much younger than in the past. In the case of the Rio de Seco and de San Juan, this means the advent of creaminess in the cigar, with the Rio de Seco being noteworthy for creaminess even sooner than the de San Juan.

So what are traditional Le Hoyo cigars like, in general? In a word, they are characterised by their woodiness when young. The aim of resting them long-term is to let them become more creamy. As mentioned, like traditional Cohiba, developing those peak flavours can take five to ten years.

This early-2014 HdM Le Hoyo des Dieux was amongst the last des Dieux to be produced prior to their sad deletion. At around six-and-a-half years rested the woodiness has receded to become a quality cedar. When Le Hoyo cigars are under five years they can have a mushroom/forest floor-type flavour to them that can dominate the cigar. This des Dieux had a forest floor flavour that intermingled very nicely with a consistent sweet vanilla throughout. Of course the cigar was also starting to exude some more creaminess now than what these have done in the past. It also had no cloved spice elements to it either, which is another characteristic of Le Hoyo cigars.

Of course I nubbed this until my fingers began to burn. And why wouldn't I? I have less than a quarter of a box left!

• Like 2

587321544_2020-07-2417_05_24.jpg.14de906efa4cd57c06501a56a59c1ad4.jpg

El Rey del Mundo Taínos 2018 - Edición Regional Formosa SOR Nov 2019

It's been three months since I've last sampled this cigar. Below is what I wrote about this release last time...

The 2018 Asia-Pacific Regional Edition release from Taiwan (hence the band labelled 'Exclusivo Formosa') is an obvious and wondrous gift to cigar enthusiasts who pine for a time when Cuban cigars were 'less' in girth and 'more' in length. Note that I referred to this cigar as a 2018 release. It didn't actually hit the market until mid-2019. It also represents Taiwan's first Regional cigar. Wow...what a cigar to release first up!

The original El Rey del Mundo Tainos had the same dimensions; a Churchill-sized cigar at 47 ring gauge x 178 mm (or 7 inches) in length. Unfortunately, it was discontinued in 2006, as were many other Churchill (and Lonsdale) cigars in the meantime. In regular production we have only three left...the iconic Romeo y Julieta Churchills, the Cohiba Esplendidos and the seasonal H.Upmann Sir Winston. That's why I'm so glad that Pacific Cigar Company, the Habanos Regional distributor for the Asia-Pacific market, brought out a regional release in this vitola.

In comparison to your standard Hermosos No.4 ERdM Choix Supreme, it had a similar ERdM profile: almond, citrus, honey, a little shortbread and a hint of a texture of cake. This was a tad stronger than previous El Rey del Mundo Tainos I had though. It had more elements of forest floor or herbal flavours. Still, with age, I'm confident this cigar will take on more of that cake texture.

Last time I felt that the flavours were slightly closed. This time I felt that the cigar opened up with those trademark El Rey del Mundo candied almond nut, cake and honey flavours that were stupendous from beginning to end.

This cigar, therefore, was spectacular but the question remains...is the El Rey del Mundo Tainos approachable when young more often than not? The answer for me is yes it can be, but only around half the time. The other times make me lament not giving the cigar more time. So, in a 50/50 scenario like this one, whereby the cigar is excellent half the time and average to above average the other half, I'm willing to wait longer until I have my next one. Luckily for me, today's ERdM Tainos was so good!

• Like 2

913917339_2020-07-2418_30_11.jpg.ca93ad8d7cdff5beba9b00eea1d7a357.jpg

Punch 8-9-8 2018 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico LMB Dic 2019

The 2018 Asia Pacifico Regional Edition Punch 8-9-8 has been hugely popular for PCC since its release in 2019. El Pres has mentioned on our forum in 2020 that, along with the Taiwanese Regional Edition El Rey del Mundo Tainos, the Punch 8-9-8 has been one of the top selling cigars for 2020 worldwide.

When it first came out a few enthusiasts lamented that it didn't come in a 25-count traditionally curved 8-9-8 box, however, the 10-count Punch 8-9-8 packaging references the traditional packaging by including curved edges on its varnished box.

This Punch 8-9-8 was simply gorgeous to smoke 'through-and-through'. Roasted nuts, a chocolate fudge or marshmallow texture, around a medium to medium-mild strength with more notable citrus twang than the last Punch 8-9-8 I had.

I still feel that the Punch 8-9-8 is related to the Punch 48 LCDH in flavour and not the Punch Punch, which in my opinion is different, only it's a touch milder due to its dalia vitola dimensions.

• Like 2

2138669622_2020-07-2420_11_35.jpg.f06af51b05fefda921709c431d2fe7e0.jpg

Por Larrañaga Petit Coronas LGR Oct 2019

In general, it takes quite some time for Por Larranaga Petit Coronas to develop a dominant caramel profile. Whereas a Por Larranaga Montecarlos may typically take 1 to 3 years to develop a dominant caramel characteristic, the Por Larranaga Petit Coronas may take 5 to 8 years to do so. In the meantime, when young, Por Larranaga Petit Coronas are noted for having 'punch' and 'bite' to them.

Today's Por Larranaga Petit Coronas didn't have as much caramel and honey notes as my last one around a month ago, nor did it have much 'punch' or 'bite' to it. It mainly smoked like a young PLPC; that is, it was mainly woody and toasted tobacco. Thankfully it did have a layer of molasses sweetness to it in its core which kept me interested.

At least the Por Larranaga Petit Coronas is still around. With the recent deletion of the Sancho Panza Non Plus, in my view, the PLPC is just one of 5 premium marevas-sized Habanos cigars still in regular production (the others are the Bolivar Petit Coronas, Cohiba Siglo II, Montecristo No.4 and Rafael Gonzalez Petit Coronas. Do note that one could argue that the Bolivar Tubos No.2, Montecristo Petit Tubos, Romeo y Julieta Cedros de Luxe No.3 and Petit Coronas are in the premium class of marevas-sized Habanos cigars, but in my opinion they are not. Also, I think a little more time is needed to judge whether the Partagas Capitols and Romeo y Julieta Club Kings retro-themed additions to the regular production catalogue are of premium quality).

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JohnS said:

1493711298_2020-07-2212_07.23-1.jpg.167913d23c6bcae115966d2b9bbedc18.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux BUM Feb 2014

I have a confession to make. You see, when I first really got into smoking the fabled, and now much-missed, Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux I used to see them as the epitome of creaminess in a cigar. This view was naturally askewed by the fact that I had become familiar with 2003 des Dieuxs. As a result, I figured that the greater majority of des Dieux were like those '03 examples. With time, I've come to understand that those '03 des Dieuxs were a 'class above' and other HdM Le Hoyo de Dieux (up to when they were discontinued in 2014) were subject to normal development over time like other Le Hoyo cigars.

When I mention the aging development of Le Hoyo line cigars I am naturally not including the recent additions to the line, the 2018 Rio de Seco and the 2014 de San Juan. Like Cohiba in the past five years or so, these two Le Hoyo additions seem to develop their peak flavours much younger than in the past. In the case of the Rio de Seco and de San Juan, this means the advent of creaminess in the cigar, with the Rio de Seco being noteworthy for creaminess even sooner than the de San Juan.

So what are traditional Le Hoyo cigars like, in general? In a word, they are characterised by their woodiness when young. The aim of resting them long-term is to let them become more creamy. As mentioned, like traditional Cohiba, developing those peak flavours can take five to ten years.

This early-2014 HdM Le Hoyo des Dieux was amongst the last des Dieux to be produced prior to their sad deletion. At around six-and-a-half years rested the woodiness has receded to become a quality cedar. When Le Hoyo cigars are under five years they can have a mushroom/forest floor-type flavour to them that can dominate the cigar. This des Dieux had a forest floor flavour that intermingled very nicely with a consistent sweet vanilla throughout. Of course the cigar was also starting to exude some more creaminess now than what these have done in the past. It also had no cloved spice elements to it either, which is another characteristic of Le Hoyo cigars.

Of course I nubbed this until my fingers began to burn. And why wouldn't I? I have less than a quarter of a box left!

Good to know those boxes we split are smoking well. Might have to find those cigars in my "travel humidor" and light one up.

• Like 2

1462584027_2020-07-2507_49_46.jpg.e70de962b69fa0f3a35e3c5c7c0f3475.jpg

Montecristo No.4 UEB Ago 2018

According to popular cigar enthusiast consensus, Montecristo No.4s are synonymous with over-production and inconsistency. Luckily, these UEB 2018 code boxes of Montecristo No.4s have been excellent overall, with very few duds due to construction or flavour.

I have a UEB May (12 cigars left) and UEB August (4 cigars left) box that I've been smoking through in the last twelve to eighteen months. Montecristo, as a brand, tends to be characterised by cocoa, coffee and cream flavours in various inclinations. These two UEB boxes have stood out for their nuttiness and citrus twang, which I've highly rated in these cigars.

Today's Montecristo No.4 from the UEB August box was nutty and contained a citrus twang core. However, if I were to rate it in comparison to other numerous excellent cigars I've had from these boxes, I would have to state that overall it was unbalanced as a cigar and this fact let it down. Mind you, I still felt it was an above average Montecristo No.4.

Yes, if I had some more cocoa and milk coffee notes in this cigar it would have been just perfect. Alas, I hope the next Monte 4 from the box will be!

• Like 3

1262969109_2020-07-2509_28_48.jpg.c83c5853910622125e546f7f0151985f.jpg

Punch Short de Punch TPO Sep 2019

The Punch Short de Punch is a new regular production addition to the Punch marca. Its length is only 4 mm (or ⅙ of an inch) shorter than a robusto and secondly, it takes quite some time to smoke. A robusto would normally take me around 70 minutes to smoke but this usually takes me 90 to 100 minutes to finish!

In regards to flavours, these Punch Short de Punch cigars tend to be fairly consistent in delivering classic Punch notes of sour cream, leather, cedar and Cuban twang. They're certainly not a complex cigar, but if you like Punch in general then I'd recommend that you give this a try, after all, they do come in 10-count boxes.

Today's Punch Short de Punch was welcome return-to-form as my last one was sub-par for my liking. This was excellent in comparison.

• Like 4

450427433_2020-07-2510_35_13.jpg.75e713d29fc5fec25a456a2be7e4850b.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial (circa 2015)

The Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial is noted for being the 'king of cream' amongst Hoyo de Monterrey vitolas. For me, when they lack that creamy texture their appeal wanes.

Construction on this Epicure Especial was outstanding. Flavour-wise, the light cocoa, cedar and vanilla was mingled with some hints of spice at times, but the cigar really lacked a creamy texture throughout. Honestly, it lacked lustre, was ordinary, boring and 'ho-hum'.

I think I may re-visit the Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de Rio Seco the next time I want to reach for a large ring-gauged creamy cigar and come back to the Epicure Especial 'down-the-track'.

• Like 2

1602322997_2020-07-2614_20_19.jpg.eeb79322467a102b6937747c9d29c30d.jpg

Cohiba Medio Siglo TPO Jun 2019

I always find it difficult to smoke a Habanos cigar on a wet day. The moist atmosphere tends to impart an acridity to the smoke which I tend to try to avoid. Today I braved the conditions and smoked a Cohiba Medio Siglo in the rain (yet obviously undercover).

As usual, the rich smoke and flavour at least made it a good 75 to 80 minute cigar. This was again quite viscous for me on the palate and it smoked for a similar length of time to smoking a Cohiba Robustos. If I tried to take multiple puffs I found that the flavours were muddled, so I had to smoke slowly to appreciate the mocha coffee and honeycomb biscuit core flavours.

In the end, due to the inclement weather, the cigar was okay. I look forward to when it can be better!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1657249160_2020-07-2912_09_43.jpg.f8e7364d6d00785d9fc16e5a46c598cb.jpg

Montecristo No.2 PMS Abr 2015

The last Montecristo No.2 from this 2015 box I had was in December 2019. That cigar was more towards medium in strength and body. It was much stronger in cocoa and coffee flavours than my last light-wrappered GOS Ago 2018 Monte No.2 I had around three months ago, although it had no leather or nut to it and cream was minimal. What it did have was a hint of that Montecristo citrus twang which I quite adore, but alas, it was only a hint, in comparison my light-wrappered 2018 Monte 2 examples have been more citrus-laden.

This darker-wrappered Montecristo No.2 has seemingly 'turned a corner' around the five year-mark. The coffee and cocoa flavours have now receded into the background and that distinctive 'citrus twang' has come out much more to the fore. There was no leather, nuttiness or creaminess to this cigar, however the citrus twang made it quite appealing to my senses.

In conclusion, I've had to wait five years to acknowledge that this Monte 2 has been the best one from the box thus far. I suppose that's a long time to wait, but I only 'cracked' the box open two years ago. (It's a) Pity I only have two cigars from this box left!

• Like 2

1373416114_2020-07-2915_07_13.jpg.762258e0da451ec3e6067b769a31e4d9.jpg

Bolívar Belicosos Finos LMB Feb 2019

The Bolivar Belicosos Finos represents a marca I don't readily identify with as a Habanos cigar enthusiast, yet from time-to-time I continue to challenge my preferences (and biases) by smoking one. I picked these up last year as a quarter pack option from a 24:24 listing, and I am overwhelmingly glad I did.

Your average Piramide (also known colloquially as a Torpedo) is 52 ring gauge x 156 mm in length, the BBF is a Campanas and so is slightly smaller at 52 ring gauge x 140 mm in length. I've found them quite reliable in construction and flavour delivery over the years, on the odd occasion I have one.

This BBF had a gorgeous soft cocoa and marshmallow texture to it from the 'get-go'. Soon after the quintessential bitter malt, nutmeg and a hint of earth and leather flavours made for a wonderfully complex and ideal cigar for a change-of-pace from my usual 'go-to' cigars.

This Bolivar Belicosos Finos represented the last cigar from that initial quarter-pack purchase last year and they have all been sensational. On Cuban Cigar Website I have rated four of those cigars 5 out of 5 and the remaining two 4 out of 5 for an average rating of 4.67 out of 5. It's no wonder the BBF topped the poll for the tastiest cigar of 2019 on our forum not once, but twice! It's simply been a superlative and dependable cigar.

• Like 3

There's something about the size of a quality marevas which I just adore (notably the 42 ring gauge, which I love but I do adore the Coronas Grandes and Lonsdales sizes just a tad more!) so I've spent the last couple of weeks smoking some after I acquired a tin of Romeo y Julieta Club Kings and Partagas Capitols with the purpose of reviewing these sticks and comparing them side-by-side.

For the purpose of these reviews below I will utilise the standard 100 point grading, with the image below, courtesy of Cuban Cigar Website, serving as a guide in reference to other grading systems.

Incidentally, this is my 8888th post so I wanted to acknowledge some dear friends who would appreciate the significance of the number eight, namely @Fuzz and @jay8354 (By the way, what do you think about this thread being posted on the 9th of the 9th?). There is a delicious irony in the fact that when the forum was upgraded a few years ago I lost exactly eight posts. But hey, who's counting? After all, how many first-class centuries did Jack Hobbs hit? (Was it 197 or 199?) or RBIs did Babe Ruth hit? (Was it 2213 or 2214?).

586881768_SceenCapture-CubanCigarWebsitegradingcigars.jpg.6f7bb3518d59c3fdf188548790971d6b.jpg

• Like 1

1438081866_2020-08-1614_20_35.jpg.4d240b60db1f96712433f34d98bc688d.jpg

1. Por Larrañaga Petit Coronas LGR Oct 2019

The Por Larranaga Petit Coronas is noted for having 'bite' or 'mongrel' when young and dominant caramel flavour when aged (as in five to eight years). I've had three cigars from this box code and all have been excellent to outstanding.

At this stage, at under 12 months rested, this PLPC was mainly wood, honey and toast. There was some hints of caramel and in the first third a spicy note like ginger or molasses which dissipated completed past the middle point of the cigar.

So overall there wasn't too much 'bite' to this cigar but its progressing fine and I'm confident it will develop more caramel notes into the future. On a 100-point scale this Por Larranaga Petit Coronas was 90 points (i.e. excellent to outstanding).

• Like 3

180414927_2020-08-1615_40_21.jpg.f2f8f4b315b3a607605e0bd018795f9c.jpg

2. Montecristo No.4 UEB Ago 2018

The Montecristo No.4 is the highest-selling marevas Habanos cigar in the world. As a result of this they can be inconsistent in their construction and/or flavours but when they are 'on' they can deliver satisfaction like no other Habanos cigar.

This Montecristo No.4 box code has been consistently excellent. Montecristo is known for coffee, cream, cocoa, nut and cream flavours but this box has really shone in its delivery of a wondrous citrus twang, which I simply adore. Make no mistake, this is the Montecristo No.4 at its best.

On a 100-point scale this Montecristo No.4 was 92 points (i.e. outstanding).

• Like 3

1115761119_2020-08-1717_53_40.jpg.8c462d7bd33744fdcbe44422f34a3a4f.jpg

3. Sancho Panza Non Plus RUM Abr 2018

The Sancho Panza Non Plus was discontinued in 2019. It was never a big seller in the Habanos catalogue. I speculate the main reason for this is because of the generic flavours the SP Non Plus is known for in its youth. In other words, it needs a really long time to develop its potential, unlike other premium marevas cigars.

So far these Non Plus cigars from my RUM Abr 2018 box have been better than the Non Plus cigars from my SRO Feb 2018 box. Admittedly I've only had three from each box but that's enough to suggest that both boxes have some way to go to smoke like my SP Non Plus cigars from my ABR Sep 2011 box.

This RUM Abr 2018 SP Non Plus had mainly generic toasted tobacco, hints of wood and salt and some floral notes on the edges. It was a solid cigar, but after some time down these can really develop in its floral notes and texture (i.e. it can become creamy).

On a 100-point scale this Sancho Panza Non Plus was 85 points (i.e. very good to excellent).

• Like 3

1891923434_2020-08-2016_26_43.jpg.4ebed40ea7e75bdb5fd4adc6de558bb3.jpg

4. Cohiba Siglo II MUO May 2014

It's often said that to get Cohiba to shine you need a good 5 years. Well, today's Siglo II was a testament to how true that adage is! What made this cigar exemplary today was the lemongrass and citrus combined flavours over a quality cedar core. There were hints of honey on the edges and the beginnings of a creamy texture that wasn't anywhere near as evident in this box code in the past.

Construction was perfect. The solid grey ash, consistent dime-shaped cigar rings and burn line were spot-on.

After smoking and nubbing this Siglo II I had to admit that it was one of the very best examples of this vitola I've ever had, a true joy to savour! On a 100-point scale this Cohiba Siglo II was 95 points (i.e. classic).

• Like 2

766390255_2020-08-2017_28_01.jpg.0985b3d0e74c5e2ce5551df012674532.jpg

5. Rafael González Petit Coronas UTE Oct 2015

The Rafael Gonzalez Petit Coronas is commonly viewed as an under-rated cigar. Enthusiasts laud it, casual cigar hobbyists and tourists outright ignore it.

At just under five years of age, I especially loved the combination of cocoa, earthiness and baking spice in this cigar, together with a floral mildness throughout. The ash was volcanic white and flaky but this did not detract from the flavours or burn. At this point of its development the RGPC still has legs to develop and change, but I really adored this today as it stood. What a gorgeous cigar this is, I only wish I had this more often!

On a 100-point scale this Rafael Gonzalez Petit Coronas was 90 points (i.e. excellent to outstanding).

• Like 3

680768233_2020-08-2416_38_41.jpg.dfb1d83102a4d91d94d540a28f0a1dfd.jpg

6. Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince SOM Jun 2016

This Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince might not be a Marevas cigar (technically it's an Almuerzos), but at 40 ring gauge x 130 mm or 5⅛ inches in length it's near enough to qualify for a comparison review in this series, in my opinion. It's hard to believe that it's been nearly three-and-a-half years since this FoH forum favourite was discontinued!

At just over four years of age I still feel that this has some time yet to age. Today's HdM Le Hoyo du Prince had hints of creaminess and vanilla, but mainly it dominated in cedar, forest floor/mushroom-type flavours and spice. In regards to that spice, this was possibly the most spiciest du Prince I've yet sampled, which did surprise me a little, but it did make the cigar interesting for me.

The ash was a little flaky and the cigar needed a couple of re-lights but flavourwise, this was top-notch. I can only see the rest of my box getting better with some more time down.

On a 100-point scale this Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince was 88 points (i.e. excellent).

• Like 2

566129879_2020-08-2816_30_32.jpg.5a93d02e5b61a4695be1799b3742c3c4.jpg

7. H. Upmann Petit Coronas LUB May 2014

In comparison to my last few H.Upmann Petit Coronas, this HUPC from this box is now starting to exhibit some early signs of that leather and creamy texture that this cigar is renowned for with long-term aging. The core cedar flavour was there, as was the sweet licorice, light espresso coffee and some white pepper on the edges.

Construction was sound, as was the burn. This cigar was a nice way to end the work day, it really 'hit the spot', so-to-speak.

On a 100-point scale this H.Upmann Petit Coronas was 91 points (i.e. outstanding).

• Like 3

1394006604_2020-08-2818_06_09.jpg.0be1eca2c514563b10886972abf3a39f.jpg

8. Partagás Capitols TUA Abr 2020

There's something sentimental and nostalgic about a new addition to the Habanos regular production cigar catalogue in 2020 when that cigar is a petit coronas vitola and its marca is Partagas. Unlike the Romeo y Julieta marca, with its numerous petit coronas-sized cigars, the only other 42 ring gauge x 129 mm (or 5⅛ inches) in length cigar in the Partagas marca is the Mille Fleur and that's a lower-tiered quality cigar. The question therefore remains; is the Partagas Capitols a premium-quality marevas addition to regular production or not?

One thing I do know prior to lighting up this cigar today is that the original Partagas Capitols was the same length but slightly smaller in ring gauge; a 40 rg Petit Cetros which was also machine-made. So, at least the re-introduced, rebooted Capitols is a handmade cigar!

The image above doesn't accurately reflect the colorado rosado shade wrapper, which I find quite ideal in a Partagas cigar. That made me brood with anticipation that these were produced with a little more care on account of the quality wrappers to the cigars in my tin. How did it taste? In summary, it was quite solid; a dependable addition to the Partagas marca which was faithful to the Partagas DNA core flavours. These consisted of a pleasant sourdough, spice, wood and a little coffee. In comparison to the Partagas Shorts, it lacked that quality leather that you can get in those cigars, but it was a step-up from the generic Partagas Mille Fleur.

The only detraction from this retro-themed cigar is the packaging. Like the Partagas Serie D No.6, with its square-shaped 20-count wooden box, this 50-count, 10 5-pack tinned offering means that the price of these Partagas Capitols is more than the standard marevas cigars which come in conventional dress boxes. This will probably mean that the Partagas Capitols (and by implication the Romeo y Julieta Club Kings) will not sell as well as it possibly can. This would be a shame as I feel that experienced enthusiasts owe it to themselves to sample this cigar; after all, it is a brand new marevas!

On a 100-point scale this Partagas Capitols was 87 to 88 points (i.e. excellent).

• Like 3

1623303694_2020-08-3015_08_10.jpg.6db1f7a75f60b162a0a1e2672008e554.jpg

9. Romeo y Julieta Club Kings RAT Dic 2019

The Romeo y Julieta Club Kings was discontinued originally in the mid-1980s. It actually came in a two formats; the handmade marevas and machine-made petit coronas although only the marevas was offered in a 5-pack tin. (The machine-made petit coronas Club Kings came in a cardboard pack.) This release was actually announced in 2015 but production was delayed, probably due to the packaging.

The cold draw did not give off a refined barnyard aroma like typical Cuban cigars. Instead it was a little grassy, almost like the Nudies custom FoH series, which utilises Nicaraguan tobacco. This 'grassiness' translated into a vegetal flavour upon smoking, but this cigar did have a cherry fruit, RyJ Rosewater and toasted tobacco core element to it which made it quite flavoursome.

In regards to construction the draw was slightly loose because the rolling method used was not the standard entubado method; rather, it looked like the accordion method was used. It was easy to tell this from the way the ash burned and fell. I could understand why the cigar was rolled this way; the accordion method allows torcedors to roll more per day and I wouldn't be surprised to surmise that this release was rushed to market after the aforementioned significant delays.

Overall, the main difference between this Club Kings and a quality Romeo y Julieta Churchill or Wide Churchill would be that the element of cocoa was missing, but the cigar was quite flavoursome and it was a step-up from a RyJ Mille Fleur.

On a 100-point scale this Romeo y Julieta Club Kings was 85 points (i.e. very good to excellent).

• Like 3

937829058_2020-09-0814_40_17.jpg.7a07bd29748b4606054de8e919343fa4.jpg

10. Bolívar Petit Coronas ETP Mar 2017

The Bolivar Petit Coronas is the one marevas cigar I've had the least of in the last few years as Bolivar is not a marca I normally gravitate to (due to its dominant Earthiness profile), with the exception being the superlative and brilliant Bolivar Belicosos Finos of recent times.

I 'cracked open' this box to address my lack of attention to this reputable and consistent cigar and was glad I had done so after smoking it. At three-and-a-half years of age this still had that Earthiness which I struggled with but it didn't negate the cocoa, wood, leather and dried fruits. Paradoxically speaking, I knew that this was a quality-flavoured cigar despite that one flavour so I persevered and enjoyed it nonetheless.

Using a similar analogy, I normally pair my cigars with milder caramel or cocoa-flavoured coffees but today I drank strong, bold espressos with this cigar. The coffee was good, but not as desirable as my standard 'go-to' choices. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the coffee as I felt the stronger profile complimented this Bolivar Petit Coronas perfectly today.

On a 100-point scale this Bolivar Petit Coronas was 92 points (i.e. outstanding).

• Like 3