What does lifting a cigar to the ear....and rolling it around tell you

What does it tell you  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My own cigars are all stored properly, so no need to do it, but it is an indication of proper humidity level (for me anyway).

• Like 1

Just now, Lotusguy said:

My own cigars are all stored properly, so no need to do it, but it is an indication of proper humidity level (for me anyway).

Really?

Interesting. Take one at 65RH, 80RH and 55RH. 

On a small trial here, all bar one picked the 80RH as the correctly humidified cigar using solely the ear loll technique. :rolleyes:

Between those two options, I chose the second. I’m certainly not a goose. However, this particular test isn’t going to tell you if the whole cigar is properly humidified. It’s probably just limited to whether the wrapper is in good smokable condition.  The filler and/or binder can still be very wet, resulting in a stupid smoking experience.

35 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Really?

Interesting. Take one at 65RH, 80RH and 55RH. 

On a small trial here, all bar one picked the 80RH as the correctly humidified cigar using solely the ear loll technique. :rolleyes:

Interesting. I look (listen?) for a slight crackling sound and obviously, you feel the firmness while you're doing it. Now where to get a 80% humidified cigar to repeat this test - probably in Paris :D

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

Interesting. I look (listen?) for a slight crackling sound and obviously, you feel the firmness while you're doing it. Now where to get a 80% humidified cigar to repeat this test - probably in Paris :D

What do you think of Kostritzer Schwarzbier? From your home land? It is Heaven in a glass IMO.?

What do you think of Kostritzer Schwarzbier? From your home land? It is Heaven in a glass IMO.

My home town is near Stuttgart so I am very partial to wheat beers :)
  • Like 2

If I hear a crackling sound and get dust in my ear it is probably a tad underhumified.....

• Haha 3

Haven’t employed this enough to form any correlation between the sound and a certain smoking experience. Not really planning to either. I can generally feel and smell all I need to know. 

• Like 1

I say not much here. I think any of us that keep it 58-62%/66-70F will hear a tad of crinkle, but also have that firm yet humidified feel in the middle. If anything, I like to hear a very tiny bit of a crackling in the wrapper and binder. Signals that it will not be fireproof, with a fast burning filler, to me anyway...

Don’t really need to place so much pressure to be able to tell if something is dry. I don’t mind gently checking the length of it for soft spots from underfilling, but with the wrapper being the first part to dry out, you would crack it anyway by rolling it around not near your ear. 

This practice reminds me of how some people hold a glass of red wine up into the light to look at the color and how opaque it is.