Gilmour's Black Strat goes under the hammer...

This was a few days ago, I believe, so apologies if it's already been posted about but I'm just seeing the YouTube clip today. 

Massive Floyd fan. Gilmour one of the best guitarists of all time, in my opinion. Quite amazing to see all Dave's iconic guitars go to auction. I believe you could have a play on them during the showcase of the whole auction. That would have been cool. Just a shade more affordable than paying... 

• Like 2

And the best part is apart from sharing great musical and historical instruments with other gifted musicians ( similar to great Stradivarius instruments which are never owned as such they just pass through musicians hands ).and the proceeds of the sales go to charity ???

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 7:49 PM, Grateful13 said:

Strat #0001 is definitely much cooler!

Yes, I'm surprised there was such a wide margin between the Black Strat and 001. Both are iconic but 001 is truly one of a kind, particularly with the provenance of Gilmour having owned it. I'd have thought the Black Strat would have gone a bit lower and 001 a bit higher.

58 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

Same here. Minus the David Gilmour bit : (

I  really wish he would do another tour. He did this bit during the second Comfortably Numb solo where the lights kept growing brighter until he was not visible. Photos not the greatest, shot with an iPhone 
IMG_9759.thumb.JPG.65f38c79e1ca552c93b5c6e1cf59102d.JPG

IMG_9767.JPG

And that's how it goes from being a perfectly serviceable Strat to being on display in a room full of other expensive guitars. Price tag still attached, no one will be allowed to touch it, look at it...or even point at it! 

8 hours ago, Vortigan said:

And that's how it goes from being a perfectly serviceable Strat to being on display in a room full of other expensive guitars. Price tag still attached, no one will be allowed to touch it, look at it...or even point at it! 

It's famous for its sustain. I mean you can just hold it. You can go and have a bite--you'll still be hearing that one.

• Haha 1

I love the black Strat!  Came very close to buying the Gilmour relic from the Fender Custom Shop once, but I already have a Strat that I love, so I ended up buying an R9 Les Paul instead.  Love the R9, but sometimes I regret the decision.  Strats are just a lot more comfortable to my hands.