Storing Tubos

How does everyone store their tubos? Everyone has their own way. Ive heard a few different things and reason as to why "their way". Some say cap on, some say cap off, while others say to completely remove the stick from the tube and store like normal. What do y'all say?

I think if you want to keep the tubos, best to just loosen the cap until they acclimate to your humidor, then it is up to you if you want to tighten or leave loose. This way they are rested and ready to smoke. I only take them out if storing them in my bar humidor which is just a 50ct with a nice selection that friends can choose from. I do this for no other reason than the fact they take up more space. 

• Like 1

I leave them in the tubes, in the box, and stick in humidor. I agree with ELjavi76,  if it's good enough for storage in wharehouse/store, it's good enough for me. Plus great for long term aging.  I do however check on occasion for mold, tubes are notorious for it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BarryVT said:

I leave them in the tubes, in the box, and stick in humidor. I agree with ELjavi76,  if it's good enough for storage in wharehouse/store, it's good enough for me. Plus great for long term aging.  I do however check on occasion for mold, tubes are notorious for it.

Same here, but less likely to check for mold.  I check for mold when it's time to smoke one...  I don't mind a little surface mold on a tubo; makes it on honest smoke.  Just wipe it off as it adds dimension to the cigar

• Like 1

I store them the way I got them. I'm more of a three pack than a box of 25 guy. I do look at the cigars when I get then, or a few in the box anyway. I have seen thick mold on cigars stored in tubos, not the stuff we used to call plume.  I like to put a few cigars from a good box in extra tubos for long term aging.I've had good luck with this. A cab of '06 RASS, for instance, was awesome and rather than smoke every one  I stuck 3 in old PSD#4 tubos at something like the 7 year mark. She it, I should smoke one of those......

For long term aging, in the tube, in the box.  I take them out of the tube for a few weeks before smoking them.  To my palate, smoking them right out of the tube effects the flavor, and not in a good way.

First tubos I got I took out and kept loose in a tray in a tupperdor.  More recently I've just taken tops off and left in that way, but I do admit I'm always paranoid they'll get moldy more than others. 

Just got a box of Punch Monarcas from 1998 en tubo.  The caps on the tubes were hermetically sealed on the majority of them.  The cigars were so strong the retrohale make you eyes water. Zero mold. Perfect cigars

Caps on and extra tight!!

• Like 1

Big benefit to tubos is that rich flavor from limited air circulation.  However that limited circulation also means that they are more at risk of condensation from big temperature swings.  They go into the tubo all warm and moist in Cuba, and then get chilled somewhere (airplane cargo hold, storage in Canada, etc.) and you get tiny water droplets which sets off the mold bloom.

So I like loosening the caps for a few days in my humi and then popping them back on for the long nap.  Once their rH matches your storage, and IF you can keep their temperature stable you'll have no problems.

• Like 1