Belinda cigars.......why such a tragic fall from grace??

22 minutes ago, BarryVT said:

They are just trying out a unique new marketing approach, plastic tubos! Lol

This is the second resurrection, or the second sullying, whichever way you want to look at it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

This is often the case when managers do not know the history and do not have respect to markas, when they makes marketing decisions emoji1745.pngemoji3603.png

Or maybe its just the marca they still had loads of box branding plates for....

I've got a mate called Belinda who was stunning in 1986 and still looks bloody good today - does this help? I'd put up pictures but that would be weird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Akela3rd said:

I've got a mate called Beilinda who was stunning in 1986 and still looks bloody good today - does this help? I'd put up pictures but that would be weird.

being wrapped in cello truly does wonders

being wrapped in cello truly does wonders
That's a whole different forum...

Sent from 47171 Lempo 

• Haha 2

I have always wondered about this.  Rumor is Groucho Marx himself smoked this brand - did he have wine tastes with a champagne purse, or has the quality slid into oblivion?

For those that have had access to vintage Belindas were they worth a snot?  The recent production is far from unique.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, earthson said:

For those that have had access to vintage Belindas were they worth a snot?  The recent production is far from unique.

As the CCW mentions they were discontinued in the 1960,  but when they returned in the 1989 it was in a very different guise. i.e.  super low value, cheap cheroots. 

This 50 cab of Belinda 'Belindas' gives an idea of the quality they used to put out

belindas.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, 99call said:

As the CCW mentions they were discontinued in the 1960,  but when they returned in the 1989 it was in a very different guise. i.e.  super low value, cheap cheroots. 

This 50 cab of Belinda 'Belindas' gives an idea of the quality they used to put out

belindas.jpg

They look beautiful.  Will have to scare one up, if Providence allows...

3 hours ago, 99call said:

Sorry not sure what this means?

From time to time, I come across vintage cigars available by the singles and fivers.  Perhaps good fortune will allow me to try a classic, long-filler Belinda someday!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, earthson said:

From time to time, I come across vintage cigars available by the singles and fivers.  Perhaps good fortune will allow me to try a classic, long-filler Belinda someday!

I get you.  Happy hunting

8 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

c4d710e0c0376839f31d02fcff41a90f.jpg

Love this,   A casual box of Henry Clay Diamantinos in the background.   why is there nothing in my loft apart from bat shit!??

Yep, looks like a good deal of love and care has gone into making those Belindas,  what a find!

OMG, I cannot believe that nobody offered to buy them from her!!???  surely they are not still for sale?  thats insane

I think the most wily negotiated through PM and already bought. In Russia, the problem with humidity in the winter, so cigars are stored for a long time without a humidor need to be restored by a special technique. Even the cigars in the tubes...
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

I think the most wily negotiated through PM and already bought. In Russia, the problem with humidity in the winter, so cigars are stored for a long time without a humidor need to be restored by a special technique. Even the cigars in the tubes...

HHmmm!? I hear you...but with Diamantinos....glass tubed sealed cigars in a fully sealed box......surely these have to have the best chance of surviving the poor climate. 

The glass tubed cigars I've owned (bauza, cifuentes, partagas) have all been in the best condition i've seen in vintage cigars.....and best aroma.

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 09.11.13.jpg

• Like 3

Those cigars look amazing, almost fresh! 

Re Belinda, I'm guessing when the revolution hit the government suddenly realised just how many brands they were now responsible for and made huge cuts. Even going by the sales Rob posted HSA only really deals with maybe a half dozen cigars in significant numbers, looking at it I'm surprised we anything much beyond the top 7/8 cigars even being made. I'm glad they do but it probably doesn't make a huge amount of business sense considering the economic trouble the island is in

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Those cigars look amazing, almost fresh! 

Re Belinda, I'm guessing when the revolution hit the government suddenly realised just how many brands they were now responsible for and made huge cuts. Even going by the sales Rob posted HSA only really deals with maybe a half dozen cigars in significant numbers, looking at it I'm surprised we anything much beyond the top 7/8 cigars even being made. I'm glad they do but it probably doesn't make a huge amount of business sense considering the economic trouble the island is in

Yep I completely get you.  I guess my point was, if in 1889, there is a real likelihood there will have been a lot of smokers that may have still been Belinda fans.  

To me is would be like someone discontinueing Upmann, then 18short years later, bringing the brand back as a portfolio of ugly machine made minutos. 

to me it's like taking a massive dump on your own doorstep..........but as you've pointed out, doing this kind of stuff makes perfect sense in Habana

I've been wondering about the status of Belinda for a while, actually. Does anyone know if they're still available anywhere? As far as I can tell, I think they were discontinued around 2014. Be keen to hear about it if anyone has a more recent box date than that.