Do you stick to a few brands or vary your collection?

Its a bit the opposite for me. There are a few marca that I generally steer clear of, but anything else is fair game - at least to try.
I do have my favourites from each marca, and my favourite marcas, and these do dominate my collection because I smoke them more regularly.

But, without experiencing new things, you might just miss out on something new that is right for you.

Really, the only Cuban brand I wont touch, even with a ten foot barge pole, are Guantanamera.

I do have quite a lot of certain marcas (Upmann, Partagas, RyJ, PL) but I like to have a good mix of things so often pick up boxes I have no experience with or better yet 6 packs from our host. I don't smoke too many in a year so even the six packs allow me to leave a few to age.

It's hard to know how my tastes might change over the years never mind how the cigars will. I figure worst case I can trade sticks I don't like.

I am a bit in the middle, I mostly buy based on the vitolas I like. Having said that I have a lot of Upmann, Montecristo, PL and Cohibas in the humidor, but have at least one or more boxes of most marcas.   

I'm still in that phase of trying as many different vitolas out as I can..And I also fear the fact that if you buy a box, youre committed to 25 even if they turn out "meh". Thats what has happened with a box of monte 3s.  a few good ones, and than one tasted like sand and midway thru tasted like chemical, threw it out the car window.

I’ve had meh boxes or handfuls of singles. Let them sit because I didn’t enjoy, then one day you pick one up and , bam, next thing I know I’m getting a box or two to put away. The aging and time down I’ve found is a real thing. The first time this happened was with JL2.

When I first started reading about cigars I had no idea it could make such a difference.

1-2 Cigars a week for 10 years during the warmer months for me, exclusively NC.  I only bought 1 or 2 boxes over the course of that time sticking to singles and trying a bit of everything.  Over the last few years I've been almost exclusively a Tatuaje and some My Father blends smoker.  Tatuaje Cabaiguan are spectacular smokes for anyone out there who hasn't had them yet. 

I started out loving strong cigars and stayed that way until the last year or so - when I had my first CC.  That started me down a path where the NC's just weren't quite meeting my expectations.  Don't get me wrong, even the cheap NC's usually have perfect construction and are consistent - something I have yet to experience at all with CC's.  There's just something about the flavor of CC's that can't be replicated.  

I'm in the same boat where I'm attempting to try a bit of everything to get a good sense of what I like so that I can find the CC equivalent of Tatuaje for me.  That said, I'm finding myself drawn towards RyJ as the flavor profile there is unlike any other I've experienced.  I guess I've mellowed in terms of my strength preference.  I'm also attempting to find a good, short smoke for when the colder months come around.  Oh yeah, ones that smoke well young too!  

BTW - it was a Juan Lopez 2 that stopped me in my tracks last year.  Damn thing was spectacular.  Funny thing was, I'd never heard of it and let the store owner convince me I'd love it - he was a fellow Tatuaje fan.  I've yet to snag some more, but it's high on my list!

Started with Dutch cigars decades ago, from Oud Kampen [- Sumatra Cum Laude] and Compaenen which were typically petit coronas or cigarillos short filler blends of Sumatra, Java, Brazilian, Cuban leafs. Usually an Indonesian Wrapper. Then i wen into DR, Honduran, Nicaraguans, CCs when i could get one. Even burnt an aged Hawaiian Stick last month. Bloody interesting. I definitely enjoy the hunt and variety but i hope to settle on a few brands as i grow older. Need simplification.

I still remember that barnyard and earthy leather of the Davidoff CC i smoked in the early 80s. Might have been a Dom Perignon? What a cigar,,, i could afford only 6!

I've tried almost everything, but found myself returning again and again to the same brands.  With space at a premium due to ongoing aging stock, I usually find myself replacing my tried-and-true, which is limited to 2-4 vitolas across 3-5 brands.

I used to only like buying boxes because I wanted many of anythjng I’ve tried and liked once. Started running out of space and a bit bored. I’m more into buying singles and hopefully soon some split packs just for the sake of having different ones. It’s not like I benefit from aging in cedar boxes anyway since nothing lasts long in a 25 box in my storage!