Kind of a noob question

So lately my cigars have been coning in the middle. It's almost like the wrapper won't burn down. Sometimes the ember gets super hard and the cigar won't smoke down anymore. Any thoughts or comments? I'm thinking it's a humidity issue.ffd8c71ea8b43bf3a667d239360bf73d.jpgbccaeab2181d4c38881342a0b4ecb38e.jpg

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

I agree it is probably a question of overheating the cigar, or a combination of that and high humidity.  I've found over-humidified cigars encourage over-puffing to keep them going, which can lead to this problem. 

• Like 3

I also experienced same problem of yours before with Partagas Series 1. It is extremely frustrating and becoming even worse if the draw is extraordinary bad! ?

The main causes of this problem are:

• Flameproof Wrapper (there is nothing much you can do with that problem unfortunately)
  • Oily Wrapper (you should allow these cigars to rest much much longer)
  • Slow Puffing
  • Too Much of Heat (it also scorches the wrapper)
  • High Humidity (you should rest these cigars at 65% or slightly lower for 30-60 days or longer)
  • Like 1

Construction, construction, construction!
Maker's fault. Mushy, undefiled and crappy cigars are the result of Tabacuba not giving a damn about their products!
-tP
I would like to think it wasn't something I'm doing but I honestly think it is. Multiple cigars and I get the same result. I'm going to bring my humidity down and see what the results are.

I suffer from this as well because I smoke cigars very slowly.  It is just my natural tempo.  I do light touch ups and all is fine. Applies to both cubans and non-cubans for me.

I've tried to smoke faster, just a sub conscience thing I do.  On the plus side, cigars last a long time for me.

• Like 1

That interior coning is caused by smoking too slowly.  The outside of the cherry cools down, so the wrapper stops burning. However, the middle of the cherry/cigar/filler is still hot and continues to burn down.

8 minutes ago, PigFish said:

Cuban cigar smoker culture demands that the end user take the responsibility for maker issues. Unless I misread the above, this is a description of tunneling or a type of tunneling.

Cigars are designed for a consistent flux through the entire cross section of the cigar. If the outside of a cigar is going out, the majority flux is traveling up the core of the cigar. This means either the proper amount of tobacco, or the proper type of tobacco, or both is missing in the cigar.

If people desire to take the hit for Tabacuba's faults that is up to them. This one has outgrown the courtesy! I store my cigars right, and acclimate for long periods. When you know your cigars are stored properly and then you assess the flaws in cigars you can readily ID them as manufacturing defects. The Cubans make a lot of crappy cigars today. They have no reason not to, when the client base blames construction issues on themselves. MHO!

-Piggy

Interesting take. Dont you think there is something to be said for overheating the cigar bu smoking too fast though as a general point? I noticed that when I smoke slower this rarely happens but if I am puffing down a minuto in record time I experience it a lot. 

As Piggy stated, you have to know your storage conditions are appropriate and have them in place for a long period of time (several years minimum).  Then and only then can you know whether it's what your doing vs construction.  To me, the above looks like poor construction/leaf processing or else, yes, high humidity or improper aging.

While I tend to agree with Piggy that construction is the main culprit for tunneling I do believe an overly humidified cigar or outdoor conditions can cause this issue sometimes. For the most part if they start tunneling I toss it and start another. Today I smoked a rather awsum Sig VI from 03. It was fantastic all the way thru to the last 2 inches when it went south and started to tunnel. Kind of wonder why it went south that far along . A rock hard cherry is poor construction/draw to me.