Easter Bunny hibernates for 16 years.

I mentioned to a friend last week that I'd just returned from Amsterdam with a lot of cigars, and she told me that she went on a cigar factory tour in Havana while on holiday back in 2003.  

She left with a few tubos, got home, put them in the wardrobe and forgot about them.  She has just gifted me an RyJ Churchill, Monte Petit Tubo, and a Monte A in a varnished slide box.

They have never been opened, and the caps are screwed tight.  I'm thinking of unscrewing them a few turns then put them in at 60 rh for a few months, then 65 for a few, then take the caps off for a few, then finally taking them out of the tubes for a few more months.  With the Monte A, I will just have to take it out the box and straight into the 60 rh humidor.

I am quite new to cigars, am I going about it the right way?

The average humidity in London ( says that’s where you are) is pretty humid on average, so unless they were subject to wild temperature swings I’d guess you have some beauties there. I’m sure others will give more ideas, but if it were me I’d take them out of the tube and examine them. If they look and feel ok I’d probably freeze them for a few days just to be safe then put them in your humidor. 

I'd be pessimistic.

Rh plummets with A/C. 

And I'm no entomologist, but I gotta believe that if the stogies haven't been totally consumed by beetles after all this time, there's no need to freeze.  I'd also think that freezing could do more damage.  

Why not take 'em out and take a look-see?  

2 hours ago, rckymtn22 said:

I would open them to see if they have been ruined by mold before going through the effort. 

Bloody hell, you're right there mate.  I could've contaminated my full humidor!

2 hours ago, rcarlson said:

I'd be pessimistic.

Rh plummets with A/C. 

And I'm no entomologist, but I gotta believe that if the stogies haven't been totally consumed by beetles after all this time, there's no need to freeze.  I'd also think that freezing could do more damage.  

Why not take 'em out and take a look-see?  

I'm inclined to agree, I'll drink to that with a shot of Doorly's XO Rum!

Niiice! Open and inspect. There is no risk. Chances are very good, they’re growing hair. Beetles are dead by now, freeze any thing still serviceable and in to the humi for a few months of rehydration (caps off). 

a few years ago, a mate of mine told me that he was the executor of one of this state's more famous pollies (not Joh in case anyone is guessing). among the possessions was a box of cubans that the pollie, who didn't smoke, had been given. i have no doubt that anyone giving this bloke a 'gift' would have made certain it was a really good one. the guy did not know which, how it was stored (not well i'd guess though queensland is a very humid place most of the year) and when he was given them (given, not gifted - i refuse to accept any such word exists).

then he said, i'll give you the box. did not see him that often. next time i did see him, he told me exactly the same story except for the finish. he gave them to someone else. i could not complain. the bloke is always very generous whenever we catch up. and no, the bloke was not senile - is one of Qld's most senior surgeons. just way to busy and this was a very minor priority.

always wondered what they were. 

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

not the defence you want your lawyer trying!

Not necessarily. I have a friend who’s old boss used the two penis defense. The woman testifying described the defendant’s penis as normal looking. However the defendant had a rare genetic disfigurement that can only described as... having a second penis. The attorney literally had his client “whip ‘em out” to show the judge. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JGD said:

Not necessarily. I have a friend who’s old boss used the two penis defense. The woman testifying described the defendant’s penis as normal looking. However the defendant had a rare genetic disfigurement that can only described as... having a second penis. The attorney literally had his client “whip ‘em out” to show the judge. 

Dont talk about me on this forum like that.  I'm not proud of it....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ken, it is a gift if she is trying to get in my pants!

Anyway, I was about to open the Monte A last night just as I realised there is no room in my humidors because of my recent shopping trip to Amsterdam 3 weeks ago.  And because most of them are new to the humidor, it is going to take longer for them to be ready to smoke.

So will have to leave them for now, and will post on this this thread when ready.

Sorry about the lack of pictures, I must get a camera.

I must have been very tired the other night, because I was set on putting them in at 60rh, I forgot about my 'Cuban use now' humi at 65rh which has room for them.

So open them up I did, unfortunately only 1 was salvageable.  It felt hard and dry, no aroma, but at least it had a bit of a sheen to it, and the band was loose but not loose enough to slip over the head. I have now put it in at 65rh.

Bet you can't guess which one it is, I think it may be worthy of a poll?  I will get a photo done tomorrow after the holiday, and post here straight away.

48 minutes ago, Pommy Puffer said:

I must have been very tired the other night, because I was set on putting them in at 60rh, I forgot about my 'Cuban use now' humi at 65rh which has room for them.

So open them up I did, unfortunately only 1 was salvageable.  It felt hard and dry, no aroma, but at least it had a bit of a sheen to it, and the band was loose but not loose enough to slip over the head. I have now put it in at 65rh.

Bet you can't guess which one it is, I think it may be worthy of a poll?  I will get a photo done tomorrow after the holiday, and post here straight away.

The Monte A as it is in the box?

The Petit tubos is in my humi now, but as you may see from these photos, the other 2 are brittle and disintegrating.  Forgot to turn the Monte A around so you could see the wrapper beginning to unravel.

A

B

C

D