Cigar choices needed

Hey all

Ok first off this is might be a long post so thank you if you read and can advise!

Where to start I have been smoking Cubans on and of for say about 19 years now! Last year I went big and got a temp humidor and then stopped after buying a few boxes and lots of singles but didn’t smoke much as I used to smoke outside and well in the summer it hits 45c and 90% humidity. Now a hotel down the road has opened up a cigar lounge so now I can smoke more.

I have always been looking and buying rare EL and RE singles but never smoked one of them as they are not cheap. Now I need some advise please can you advise on a list of regular releases that are amazing to smoke I don’t don’t mind small or large cigars. On my last visit to the lounge I had a Trinidad La Trova and wow it’s one of the best cigars I have ever had I have been missing out I think with all the marketing hype of EL and RE!

The small list I have to try from reviews online are as follows:

Cohiba Siglo VI (I have tried 1-3 already)

H Upmann Connoisseur A

Quai d'Orsay

R & J Churchill

Trinidad Fundadores (I already have one in my collection and will smoke when I go away on my long weekend at the end of the month)

I only smoke one or maybe two cigars week so want something special or outstanding to smoke that are regular cigars!

Please can you list say maybe your top 5 or 10? Or more for me to try

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm a difficult one as everyone has their own tastes. Sometimes I find that how you like your coffee can help point you towards a starting point.

But my top 5 Reg production are:

-Montecristo no.3

-Quay d'Orsey Corona

-RyJ Short Churchill/Ex no.4

-La Gloria Cubana #4

-Por Larranaga Petit Corona

It may show here, my favourite coffee is lots of cream and lots of sugar 

• Like 4

Lusitania 

Punch Punch 

JL 2

Fonseca #1

Romeo y Julieta Churchill 

All of these are readily available, (don't have to worry about "all sold") smoke well young. There are many more, but these will give you a good start. All of these are in my regular rotation.

• Like 2

My top 5 cigars as of late:

RyJ Cazadores - You might love the brashness or you might hate the lack of finesse.  Taste the vega.

Montecristo Especiales No. 2 - My favorite example of the Monte profile.  A hidden gem.  The No. 3 is a close second.

Partagas 8-9-8 - A stout Partagas that means business but takes its time.  Very enjoyable and relaxing.  Love some pepper in the first third.

Partagas SD4 - A different facet to the Partagas profile.  Less pepper, more woodiness, more sourdough.  Very satisfying.

Ramon Allones Specially Selected - Just a great cigar lately, at a decent price.  No fanfare, no nonsense.  Cuba.

Also:

Montecristo No. 2 - A classic Cuban cigar.  Look for a dark wrapper, strong aroma, and even bunching.  Stellar experience, when on.

Punch Punch - Smoked a few really good examples from 17.  Very flavorful!  Impressed.  Out to get a box.

Partagas Shorts - Above their station.  Too short for me (minuto) but always flavorful and a step up (blend wise) from the Parti C&Cs.

Bolivar Petite Coronas - Yum.  Unique, earthy, bass notes.  A staple for me.

Partagas Super Partagas, Petit Coronas Especiales - Cheap.  Cheerful.  Happy.  Good.  Take off your tie, put on your old jeans.

I like Medium/Full cigars.  Cuba is putting out some high quality tobacco right now.  It's a good time to explore.  ?

• Like 3

Your request seems aimed at those “special” regular production experiences, with no mention of cost restrictions, so these would be my top 5 “go-to” grabs from the humidor when I want a memorable experience:

Cohiba Esplendido

Cohiba Lancero

PSE2

Parti Lusi

Sir Winston (sort of regular production)

• Like 3

Your request seems aimed at those “special” regular production experiences, with no mention of cost restrictions, so these would be my top 5 “go-to” grabs from the humidor when I want a memorable experience:

Cohiba Eplendido

Cohiba Lancero

PSE2

Parti Lusi

Sir Winston (sort of regular production)

No I want normal regular releases that are a great smoke! I feel I have got into a trap of wanting to get RL or RE i want good cigars that you can get in most places

I want to getaway from all the this is rare you have it. I want quality not rarity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Hmm a difficult one as everyone has their own tastes. Sometimes I find that how you like your coffee can help point you towards a starting point.

But my top 5 Reg production are:

-Montecristo no.3

-Quay d'Orsey Corona

-RyJ Short Churchill/Ex no.4

-La Gloria Cubana #4

-Por Larranaga Petit Corona

It may show here, my favourite coffee is lots of cream and lots of sugar 

Thanks for this. I'm a CC noob and I love the sweet tobacco flavors. Any other recommendations for more dessert-like sticks?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cigaro said:

Thanks for this. I'm a CC noob and I love the sweet tobacco flavors. Any other recommendations for more dessert-like sticks?

HdM Epicure No 2 - I have had a few dull ones unfortunately but when they are on they are full of cream, sweetness and marzipan. Almost like an almond croissant. There not too expensive either!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, shippers said:

HdM Epicure No 2 - I have had a few dull ones unfortunately but when they are on they are full of cream, sweetness and marzipan. Almost like an almond croissant. There not too expensive either!

I would agree on this as wel..this has been a go to for me since day 1 and still remains 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Quintero Panetela are very sweet and hay/dried grass, they got me into Cubans

Diplomatico are sweet nuts and cream, but the line is reduced to the #2 now, still worth trying

H Upmann are shortbread, milky coffee and leather, the leather tends to go with age. The Connie #1 is probably the most desert like now the various lonsdales and pc are gone and the Sir Winston is temp unavailable.

Monte 3 raisins and chocolate, milk coffee,the especial 1+2 are heavily chocolate and coffee

Por Larranaga Petit Corona are caramel bombs

QdO coronas are delicate sweet milky custard that get more intense with age. The Panetela were this but X10, discontinued though ?

RA Are sweet stewed fruit, like a peachy plum pie filling, cream comes with age. RASS and superiores are a good start

RyJ, the ex4 is probably the closest to a desert, thicky jammy berries/cherry and Turkish delight

Sancho Panza are salted dark chocolate with hints of coffee, whichever size you like just pick they are very similar now that the molinos is gone

San Cristobal, buttery sweet rich. All are worth trying

Trinidad, creme brulé in different forms, the Reyes and Fundadores top my list

Just my tastes though :) you're in a great position, the best part of the hobby is exploring the range, there's no need to rush through it. Take your time, write notes, enjoy it!

Holy shit! Thanks for this. Perfect. 

• Like 1

Cohiba Esplendidos

Juan Lopez No. 2

H Upmann Connie A

Partagas P2

Montecristo No. 2

Try and buy PSP/HQ from the 24:24 so you are sure of the quality is my advice. If you miss out don't fret, they are only cigars and you have plenty of time to explore. All the best.

Counterpoint - our preferences could be very different, why not get a sampler or two and leave them for 60 days and start trying them after that?

If pressed for a list, something like Montecristo No 2, Cohiba Robusto, Juan Lopez Selection No 2, H. Upmann Conni no 1, Partagas shorts, something double corona, and Bolivar Petit Corona or Belicosos Finos, Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No 2. And cohiba esplendidos!

Maybe just Esplendidos!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Quintero Panetela are very sweet and hay/dried grass, they got me into Cubans

Diplomatico are sweet nuts and cream, but the line is reduced to the #2 now, still worth trying

H Upmann are shortbread, milky coffee and leather, the leather tends to go with age. The Connie #1 is probably the most desert like now the various lonsdales and pc are gone and the Sir Winston is temp unavailable.

Monte 3 raisins and chocolate, milk coffee,the especial 1+2 are heavily chocolate and coffee

Por Larranaga Petit Corona are caramel bombs

QdO coronas are delicate sweet milky custard that get more intense with age. The Panetela were this but X10, discontinued though ?

RA Are sweet stewed fruit, like a peachy plum pie filling, cream comes with age. RASS and superiores are a good start

RyJ, the ex4 is probably the closest to a desert, thicky jammy berries/cherry and Turkish delight

Sancho Panza are salted dark chocolate with hints of coffee, whichever size you like just pick they are very similar now that the molinos is gone

San Cristobal, buttery sweet rich. All are worth trying

Trinidad, creme brulé in different forms, the Reyes and Fundadores top my list

Just my tastes though :) you're in a great position, the best part of the hobby is exploring the range, there's no need to rush through it. Take your time, write notes, enjoy it!

This already won: best post of 2019!

Perfect for a beginner like myself:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1