Hawaii may increase legal smoking age to 100

Hawaii may increase legal smoking age to 100

Hawaii could raise the legal smoking age to 100, effectively banning cigarettes for the vast majority of people in the state.

In a new bill, proposed by Democrat Richard Creagan, the smoking age would increase rapidly between 2020 and 2024.

It will need to pass through the state legislature and weather a potentially strong backlash from tobacco companies in order to become state law.

E-cigarettes, chewing tobacco and cigars are not included in the bill.

Dr Creagan, who was an emergency room physician before he was elected as state representative in 2014, calls the cigarette "the deadliest artefact in human history" in the bill.

In January 2017, Hawaii became the first US state to raise its smoking age to 21. In other US states the legal age is usually 18 or 19.

The new bill, HB 1509, suggests that the smoking age should go up to 30 in 2020, 40 in 2021, 50 in 2022, and 60 in 2023 - until finally, in 2024, people would need to be 100 years old to buy cigarettes.

He told the Hawaii Tribune-Herald that a "ridiculously bad industry" had designed the cigarette to be "highly addictive, knowing that it is highly lethal".

"We don't allow people free access to opioids, for instance, or any prescription drugs," he said.

E-cigarettes and cigars are left out of the bill because Dr Creagan believes they are significantly safer for smokers than regular cigarettes - although the National Cancer Institute warns that "all tobacco products are harmful and cause cancer".

"Regular cigar smokers and cigarette smokers have similar levels of risk for oral cavity and oesophageal cancers," it adds on its website.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the US say that cigarette smoking is the top cause of preventable disease and death in the country.

About half a million people in the US die every year from smoking-related conditions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47129503

2 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

So tired of politicians on both ends of the polo spectrum proposing ridiculous bills that have a snowball’s chance in hell of getting passed and signed into law. What a waste of our taxpayer dollars. 

The bills or politicians?

10 hours ago, Notsocleaver said:

A lot of Reps in Hawaii seem to be throwing out stunt legislation to get their names in the paper lately.

Yep, The lady running for president in 2020 has ties to a cult with roots in my neighbourhood. 

15 hours ago, TheGipper said:

Same guy is also making a push to make "medical" marijuana more accessible.

So he's undoubtedly another one of these former hippie politicians who wants everyone to approve of his marginal behaviors while he proscribes your preferred ones.

"Marginal behavior" ? 

a "ridiculously bad industry" had designed the cigarette to be "highly addictive, knowing that it is highly lethal". That's a fact.

And medical marijuana is a reality.

Cigarette and its industry are indefensible.

Just want to point out one thing: Cigarettes are carcinogenic, Marijuana is not. This is not my opinion in either case, and everyone’s entitled to theirs - these are 2 facts based on significant amounts of scientific research.

For the record, I don’t smoke either of them.

7 hours ago, Smallclub said:

And medical marijuana is a reality.

Cigarette and its industry are indefensible.

Oh well, since you put it that way, and you're so persuasive, I'll just turn over my entire array of individual rights to be assigned or discarded at the whims of your personal opinion.

Is that the response you were looking for?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheGipper said:

I'll just turn over my entire array of individual rights to be assigned or discarded at the whims of your personal opinion.

Your individual rights come after your individual duties, one of which is to recognize the truth even if you don't like it. I am old enough to have known the days when everyone smoked cigarettes everywhere, all the time. It was a fuxxxx NIGHTMARE.

As for medical marijuana being a "hippie" thing, I prefer not to comment – forum rules.

Your individual rights come after your individual duties, one of which is to recognize the truth even if you don't like it. I am old enough to have known the days when everyone smoked cigarettes everywhere, all the time. It was a fuxxxx NIGHTMARE.
As for medical marijuana being a "hippie" thing, I prefer not to comment – forum rules.

But why do you care what people do on their own property that doesn’t effect you?

Should we ban all things that are bad for people? Alcohol and sugary food/drink kill more people than cigarettes. Are they next on the chopping block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I was at the Fairmont in Maui last year...on vacation once in a while I used to smoke cigarettes. Well, we had a very nice balcony off of our room and only one floor above us. I said to hell with non smoking signs. Very shortly after, a very upset guy above my room stuck his head over his railing and frantically threatened that he would report me. He goes on to tell me of his track record as an attorney on prosecuting smokers or some batshit thing. I didn't know there was much money in that. Anyway I defused the situation pretty quickly with a bit of manners.

This was the first time I realized Hawaii is weird about smoking

20 minutes ago, Smallclub said:

Your individual rights come after your individual duties

Okay.

No time for me to post further on this topic, I must attend to my individual duties.  Can't wait until I turn 100 years old and a Hawaii Representative absolves me of all my individual duties.  I will be posting like mad on this forum then.  :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

So, are you really surprised by the results? (I'm truly asking)

On a side note, with regards to medical pot, how many users go with CBD vs high THC?

A private balcony near the top would seem safe to light something up, especially being outdoors. I figured the wind would blow the smoke away pretty rapidly.

4 hours ago, Edward7 said:

This was the first time I realized Hawaii is weird about smoking

Not that we’re less weird than the next state, but I don’t think you can really conclude that Hawaii as a whole is weird about smoking from the instance you shared. Pretty sure it just means the person above you who was visiting Hawaii took offense to your smoke.

6 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Just want to point out one thing: Cigarettes are carcinogenic, Marijuana is not. This is not my opinion in either case, and everyone’s entitled to theirs - these are 2 facts based on significant amounts of scientific research.

For the record, I don’t smoke either of them.

When did this "significant amount of scientific research" happen? Last time I checked, Marijuana's classification as a Schedule 1 Narcotic causes almost all scientific research a federal felony. Other than the University of Mississippi's Single Greenhouse and Laboratory I am aware of no other legitimate research facilities in the united states. Europe may be a different story, but I've never seen any peer reviewed, published papers on the subject. Can you quote/link any studies that definitively prove marijuana smoke is not carcinogenic? 

Lets be honest, Smoking ANYTHING is bad for you. You will not become a healthier person by ingesting decarbonated smoke through your lungs and into the blood stream. That's not to say that some of the ingredients in Marijuana, when isolated, purified, and dosed correctly, by professionals don't have positive medicinal affects. But, that's not what's happening. 

"Medical Marijuana" is a joke and always has been. We had it in Colorado starting in 2001. When I was in college(18-21 years old) I walked into a doctors office, told him I couldn't sleep, and walked out with a recommendation for a "Card" as they call it. Most of my friends did the same thing. None of us had any real medical issues that we were trying to address and the doctor new it, so did the dispensaries. Its very similar in most states today, there are few that have real requirements though. Its nothing more than a guise to make old people comfortable with it. "Slippery Slope" if you will. 

Cigarettes, Cigars, Weed, unhealthy Food, Boose. They're all the same. Either all of them should be completely outlawed or we should decide that Adults can make their own decisions. But where does it end? Driving a car is dangerous, very dangerous. Should we just ban anything that increase or death risk at all? It seems like that would be the most humane thing to do. Keep in mind, I partake in all but one of the above "vices" on a regular basis and I think cigarettes are gross.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Smallclub said:

Your individual rights come after your individual duties,

That thinking is the reason that the end game for tobacco is a global ban. 

Alcohol, consumption of meat, obesity......the tobacco of the next decades. 

The moral majority or intelegencia  dictating to the "less informed"  how to live their lives. 

The fact  that you can smoke in a pot lounge and not in a cigar lounge is simply because pot is fashionable.....cigars not so. 

https://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/marijuana-and-lung-health.html

• Like 4