Travel case?

On 2/14/2019 at 5:40 PM, cfc1016 said:

@Head83 post some pics of what you managed to make with the foam i sent ya!

Thanks to @cfc1016 my traveler feels so much more secure.  It’s currently being used for my non-CC overflow.  Really happy with how it turned out.  I could easily add another row if I take out the Boveda tray on the top but no need right now.  

89C52DCD-8185-4493-B57B-B9FED7FE89D1.jpeg

DE242107-A14F-4ED2-B283-6859E1A529D0.jpeg

• Like 3

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use Cigar Caddy cases. Utilitarian for sure, but at this point it’s all I want in a travel case. I use a 5ct & 10ct depending on situation. 10ct has two layers so you can put cutter/lighter apar

Traded a whole box of Fonseca No. 1’s plus five Dip 2’s for the original H. Upmann travel humidor from 2007.  The six Robustos were delicious, but the travel humidor is my companion on every trip I go

Cigar caddy all the way. Utilitarian function is of far greater value to me than flash. Small canvas tote for my equipment. Full kit: "50 ct" cigar caddy; "5ct" cigar caddy; canvas tote -

On 2/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, cfc1016 said:

This popped up in a subreddit I'm on. Figured it'd be of use to someone here, if they're looking for a good deal on a large hard case. It has the pick n pull foam and is 16-5/16" length. I just ordered one. Looking forward to modding it out for cigars.

Harbor Freight Apache 3800 Case - Pelican 1450 Knockoff - $29.99 with coupon 81892470 - good through 2/28

For anyone interested in replacement foam, this is what I used to reline my hard case:

12 Pack- Acoustic Panels Studio Foam Wedges 1" X 12" X 12"

Showed up today - much sooner than expected!!! Lemme tell ya... this thing is a MONSTER. 3 layers of foam inserts, 2 of which are pick-n-pull. This thing will carry a solid month worth of smokes. What a beast!

C0C3B74B-AF23-45E3-83C6-1DD0D38E6684.jpeg

B55E7CFD-78A5-4773-9944-8DCD8C201FD9.jpeg

402E9D88-B185-4432-BCDF-52F7C4147FAA.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/16/2019 at 3:42 PM, cfc1016 said:

This popped up in a subreddit I'm on. Figured it'd be of use to someone here, if they're looking for a good deal on a large hard case. It has the pick n pull foam and is 16-5/16" length. I just ordered one. Looking forward to modding it out for cigars.

Harbor Freight Apache 3800 Case - Pelican 1450 Knockoff - $29.99 with coupon 81892470 - good through 2/28

For anyone interested in replacement foam, this is what I used to reline my hard case:

12 Pack- Acoustic Panels Studio Foam Wedges 1" X 12" X 12"

Just slightly smaller, but cheaper and pre-built...

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/black-ops-travel-humidor/2009365/#p-2009020

I got mine from cbid for ~$20 several years ago. Just checked and they actually have a few units up...

https://www.cigarbid.com/a/black-ops-travel-humidor/3119123/

On 2/17/2019 at 9:46 AM, Head83 said:

Thanks to @cfc1016 my traveler feels so much more secure.  It’s currently being used for my non-CC overflow.  Really happy with how it turned out.  I could easily add another row if I take out the Boveda tray on the top but no need right now.  

I usually squish the boveda packs inbetween the foam and the sides of the case. Takes up less room and seems more evenly distributing.

• Like 1

Depending on the travel, I use cigar tubes, a three finger leather case, five, ten, or twenty four count hard caddy style cases. I don't use any humidification with any of them. With the hard cases, I'll actually typically have a churchill sized tube I've drilled with small holes and filled with unmoistened desiccant, as my experience is that these cases are quite capable of retaining a cigar's humidity, and that adding extra moisture results in overhumidification.

Love the PJ and similar cases and would surely like to have one.

On 2/23/2019 at 4:48 PM, captain said:

18476010-A674-4075-A74D-8C960F0A787B.jpeg

EAB4C846-B2E9-4813-B668-F0D9F050F8F7.jpeg

That is sharp looking!!  Ive seen some folks get a plastic sleeve that goes into the leather pocket to provide some rigidity.  Its made by someone from a completely random website.  Im sure someone on here can point you in that direction if your interested but I cant for the life of me remember where they come from.  

@cfc1016 Holy crap that thing is a beast!!!!   Are you going to stick with the pull and pick foam or go back to the acoutstic sheets?  Its hard to beat that acoustic foam for the natural shape it provides.  Youll have to show us when you get it all set up.

7 minutes ago, Head83 said:

That is sharp looking!!  Ive seen some folks get a plastic sleeve that goes into the leather pocket to provide some rigidity.  Its made by someone from a completely random website.  Im sure someone on here can point you in that direction if your interested but I cant for the life of me remember where they come from.  

It’s called the guardian and they used to be removal. They are now inside the leather. Great protection

22 hours ago, Koehlkm12 said:

Do you feel the cigars are all that protected in the case, since it only has the sleeve that protects the back? 

Yes. I feel very confident in it. The guardian very hard plastic sleeve is inside the leather to protect the cigars. It used to be removal. Actually tonight my 4yo was playing with the case a bit. I forgot I left a wide chruchill and psd4 in there. He’s a 4 yo boy so it got played with pretty rough and the sticks were absolutely fine. 

I no no where near as protected as a full on plastic water tight case but more than enough for me. These pj cases are really great. I knew I wanted one but didn’t realize how bad I really needed one until I used it a few times. Love it and my money was very very well spent and yes I paid full retail and would do so again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrmessy said:

What's that cigars stand and tubes?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The stand is custom from Troys Woodworks, he’s a fellow botl on Facebook. This one was turned from spalted maple (iirc)...

95AF534C-6036-4C00-84C2-6AA3A764536A.thumb.jpeg.ab3bcdbf2e95ff45912febf2ecfc44d2.jpeg

Great guy, check his fb page here:

https://m.facebook.com/cigartools/

The tubes are stainless steel. Adds a bit of weight to the case for sure, some might not like that, I don’t mind a bit. Fits up to a 54rg x 6”. You could drive a tractor trailer over the case and the cigars would be fine.

5EE0E451-0D4F-4A99-B128-CB5F43815465.thumb.jpeg.1f53e546bcb683bc53a3b55897b5d6ad.jpeg

These I picked up from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Visol-VCASE505-Delta-Finish-Stainless/dp/B0061BPRBY

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, cfc1016 said:

Cigar caddy all the way. Utilitarian function is of far greater value to me than flash. Small canvas tote for my equipment.

Full kit: "50 ct" cigar caddy; "5ct" cigar caddy; canvas tote -

0790968D-D50F-46B9-9F41-A25725AFBE83.jpeg

The Big Boy: This is my trusty "50 ct". I put this in quotes because the count is a bit generous. I've had this for almost 20 years. It's survived numerous plane rides and road trips and kept the contents intact 100% of the time. It's from long before Pelican bought out Otterbox's 'heavy duty' product lines, and still bears the Otterbox logo on the bottom. I had to replace most of the foam inserts last year. PM me if you want some. It was surprisingly hard to find the 'just right' foam inserts - there are 8 billion different kinds of foam available on the internet and anything marketed as 'for cigars' is marked up *exorbitantly*. I spent ~$15 on a box full of this stuff - way more than I needed - still a small fraction of the cost of anything "for cigars". I can carry 27 'corona-sized' cigars, and perlas/minutos can usually double up in a row. I keep a few 62% bovedas in it at all times, just so it's travel-ready at a moment's notice.

5794F429-EBDC-4A34-9334-84F861D645A8.jpeg

36B2AAFF-C215-4C2B-BB78-B74FFC04D992.jpeg

The Little Boy: This will hold 5 double coronas easily. I bought this far more recently. Same story - 62% boveda pack lives in there full time.

8C1FA794-82B6-40C3-B02D-281E8F618BF6.jpeg

Le Kit Bag: This gets far more use than either of the cases. Front pocket holds my torch and usually a small pack of cigarillos (coshos, chicos, serie clubs). Middle pocket is for the guillotine and a pocket knife in case I need to perform surgery on a particularly sticky band. Back pocket holds my punch cutter and scraps (discarded cellies from cigarillos, discarded bands, etc). There is a zippered pocket on the way back that is home to my perfecdraw and two eyeglass-repair-sized screwdrivers (one flat/one phillips) - for purging the tank on my torch before a fuel refill, adjusting flow setting, etc. Mise en plas. Every tool is returned to its designated home after each use.

83F27344-A43E-44C2-9FBD-55F2E770E20E.jpeg

I have tried using a 'bag of holding' that carries everything (cigars and equipment) and quickly realized that I don't like the idea. I find it best to have a vessel that is 100% devoted to cigars and another vessel that is 100% devoted to equipment. It works a lot better.

I have a cigar caddy 40 - for when I got on trips (cruises) - and a 15 for those long weekenders.

On 2/24/2019 at 5:34 PM, Head83 said:

@cfc1016 Holy crap that thing is a beast!!!!   Are you going to stick with the pull and pick foam or go back to the acoutstic sheets?  Its hard to beat that acoustic foam for the natural shape it provides.  Youll have to show us when you get it all set up.

Not really sure yet. Maybe acoustic for the bottom layer and pick and pull for the top 2? The acoustic foam sheets are a couple inches shorter than the width of the box, so I'd have to use 2 sheets per layer. It'll likely be a while before I go on a long enough trip to warrant taking as many cigars as this thing is capable of carrying - plus I still have the other 2 cases too. Gives me plenty of time for R&D. I'm definitely not in a hurry.

• Like 1