Favorite/best coffee brands

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some people call me a coffee snob, but I've spoiled myself over the years. In my opinion, there is only one true way to enjoy coffee. And it doesn't matter about how you brew it, so long as it has bee

I like to support local roasters when possible. Counter culture is great, and I haven't had any desire to branch out since I started using them. I'm slowly thinking about trying their limited releases

Verve, favorite coffee of those who avoid death on highway 17.   

Bustelo. I've drank it all and keep coming back to this. However, I drink it black, no sugar, and double strength to what American coffees are like. $2-$3 for a 10 ounce brick. For Cubans (expresso style) in the US or Cuba this is the most popular. John

10 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

Yup Stumptown sold out and Blue Bottle is indeed owned by Nestle, which is pretty much the evil empire.

Can't blame Blue Bottle. That guy worked his ass off starting from a small kiosk in early 2000s. Allegedly sold for nearly $500 million USD. And he keeps his job--he's still working.

1 hour ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Black Rifle Coffee for me Mon - Sat, my favorite blend the Murdered Out Extra Dark Roast, just sublime, and the only coffee company worth having a membership with. The Black Rifle Coffee Freedom Fuel Limited Edition Texas Roast is also a top one for me, hoping it becomes a regular production coffee for them. I keep the beans in an airtight container for freshness. I will also regularly cold brew and keep on hand in the fridge for pouring over ice to have with cigars on the patio with the pugs as I'm sure many of you have seen in the pics I post. C&C, great way to enjoy both. On Sundays, my wife and I enjoy Makua Coffee Company 100% Kona Dark Roast, love, love Kona coffee just too damn expensive for an every day coffee, and there are ways to keep this coffee fresh, just have to get creative. ? I guess I'm also one of the coffee snobs on here. I use a hand grinder as well, as I'm super particular about how the grind of my beans needs to be for each different style of coffee I'm brewing.

I can't do Black rifle and all those companies that manipulate the coffee. It tastes so bad to me. I don't know what they do to it, but it just tastes acrid and horribly bitter. Kona is expensive as well. I get it seasonally, but I prefer a lighter roast. 

15 minutes ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Never had a bitter cup from Black Rifle. Not sure what you mean by manipulate the coffee. They just roast it to the way I like it. If I can't stand a spoon up in it, the coffee ain't thick and black enough for me. Grad school will do that to you.......it also makes you appreciate good coffee, stuff they had for us at the lab, now that was some crap.

Ah maybe it's just so dark, I can't taste any flavors. 

Can't blame Blue Bottle. That guy worked his ass off starting from a small kiosk in early 2000s. Allegedly sold for nearly $500 million USD. And he keeps his job--he's still working.

Great for him and I don’t blame him either. However, I simply will not support a company (Nestle) responsible for deforestation, appropriation of aquifers in poor countries, price fixing, use of child labor, et cetera. They are plain evil.

Thanks—mostly pour-overs, so I’ll definitely check out the African coffees over there.

You’re close to me and I work from home. Swing by sometime for a pour over and a stick!

2 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

Great for him and I don’t blame him either. However, I simply will not support a company (Nestle) responsible for deforestation, appropriation of aquifers in poor countries, price fixing, use of child labor, et cetera. They are plain evil.

I'd never heard anything about it until it made national news that they were supposedly shipping water out of California during a drought. As it turned out, that was the least dodgy thing they were doing. Basically super villain-type stuff.

I don't have a favorite just a coffee junkie as in I need my Morning coffee.  Starbucks is usually what i drink ( my bro works there so he's my dealer)  I like to support local when i can have two small coffee shops near me, cherry bean coffee and rollicks.  Cherry bean is excellent, Rollicks recently changed ownership and it's gone down hill fast.  Few times i'm in santa Cruz i do pop into verve for like the buena vista and seabright blends.

• Like 2

+1 for home roasting!

Takes about a year to get good at it. To truly understand the relationships between temp and roast level. 

I started with a popcorn popper roaster. Wouldn’t recommend though. If one had the means I wouldn’t start with less than a Behmor 1600+. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 6:39 PM, Lotusguy said:

Why not order from our own@canadianbeaver

Www.rocketfuelcoffee.com

I currently buy from a local roaster in Pittsburgh who I have purchased from for years but would be happy to try out one of our fellow friends of the leaf.

On 11/1/2018 at 3:55 PM, planetary said:

Verve, favorite coffee of those who avoid death on highway 17.  :) 

Verve is really good stuff and if you ever find yourself on 17 obey all speed limit signs! 

I did not know that Verve was bought out by a big corporation. Anyone know which one and how long ago? Bums me out because I thought when I went up there I was supporting a local business.

58 minutes ago, Burningman said:

Verve is really good stuff and if you ever find yourself on 17 obey all speed limit signs! 

I did not know that Verve was bought out by a big corporation. Anyone know which one and how long ago? Bums me out because I thought when I went up there I was supporting a local business.

No, unless it’s a really recent thing I think Verve is still owned by the guys that founded it. 

5 hours ago, Gamehawker said:

I roast my own coffee beans so I'd have to say my own coffee.

Lately I have been roasting; Costa Rica Tarrazu, Guatemala Huehuetenango - Rio Ocho & Columbia Supremo. 

Lol, and here I am thinking that breaking out the French press was getting fancy!

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2018 at 10:47 AM, planetary said:

Coffee snob and proud of it.  :)

@prodigy, I've had a few occasions since the third wave kicked off in the mid-2000s to try Counter Culture, and agree it's very good!  I've tried many others, like Stumptown, Intelligensia, and many of others who have faded from greatness, or folded operations.

Like @Derboesekoenig, I love Blue Bottle coffee.  However, I live in the Bay Area, so their deliveries are super fast, which makes me a very happy customer.

When I have occasion to go into the San Francisco office, I stop into Blue Bottle in the Ferry Building for espresso, or stop at Philz Coffee on Market St. for a pour-over.  Both are great coffee shops.

That line though for the Philz on Market ?.  

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2018 at 10:55 AM, joshhooper7 said:

Definitely a proud coffee snob here, actually just bought a brand new La Spaziale Lucca A53 Mini and a Eureka Atom last night to replace my old espresso setup.

My favorite coffee roaster is here in San Diego, they're called Trident Coffee. They're veteran owned and operated and make truly special coffees. Their thing is that they aren't a coffee shop, they're a coffee bar. You go inside and there isn't a single espresso machine in sight, just a long bar with about 25 taps. They make only cold brews that they serve on tap and have a steam wand if you truly want it hot. Their beans though, they're A++. They experiment a lot with barrel aged varieties and only get fair trade organic beans. Definitely check them out if you want a delicious cup! Their 'Trident' roast is my favorite for espressos. Their rum barrel rested Tanzanian peaberry is my favorite coffee, period. Not good in espresso due to the chemistry of the bean changed in the barrel process, but in a pourover it can't be matched.

The best value coffee? EASILY happymugcoffee. Their coffee is sold in 1 pound bags opposed to the standard 12oz bag, and their prices are outstanding. $11 for their standard coffees which are okay, and $13 for their special mug line, and those coffees are exceptional. They have great East Africas and great south Americas and anyone who knows craft coffee knows how much of a value $13 is for a pound. On top of that, standard shipping is $3 for any sized order.......

Gonna try the HappyMug Costa Rican. Sounds pretty good. Thanks for the new lead. 

On 11/2/2018 at 10:55 AM, joshhooper7 said:

34 minutes ago, steelcity said:

I see this is another rabbit hole. I have a friend currently vacationing in Hawaii so I told him to find me some good medium Kona to bring back. Who makes a good manual coffe grinder? Looks like there's plenty of options. 

You mean like a hand crank burr grinder? If so, I have a Hario Skerton that I've used nearly every day for 12 years:

https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic-Coffee-Mill-Skerton/dp/B001802PIQ

It's my work coffee grinder--the ridiculous amount of labor keeps my coffee consumption down.