How much stock do YOU put in buying aged cigars?

I’m not talking hard to find stuff or discontinued stuff. I’m talking regular production.

For me personally, I get the most enjoyment out of buying a box of cigars, having the patience to lay them down (sampling every now and then) and ultimately getting the payoff of having cigars that I’ve beautifully aged myself. For me that is the fun of it.

I’m sure it’s different for others, and that’s all good. So I’m curious, how much value do YOU put on buying aged smokes? Is it worth it for you to pay 50% more? 25% more? Double?

There’s no wrong answer here folks. What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the following stock were put up on 24:24 tomorrow... '14 Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux '14 Diplomaticos Bushido Asia Pacifico Regional Edition '11 Cohiba 1966 Limited Ed

.......people are spending $90 on Talisman. Euro dealers can't get enough.  Even at retail, a 5 year old D4 is the cheaper than a Padron 1926 of the same size.  To some, the utility of purch

I’m certainly not paying 2x or even more for a measly 5 years of age.

All depends on the cigars

BTO boxes of Cohiba are highly desirable and also pricey for a reason

i don’t chase old stuff because I have developed a fresher palette but that’s just me but there are always exceptions

• Like 3

I'm in agreement with your opinion. I find enjoyment is in aging a box I like and reaping the benefits when I smoke them. The market commands a premium, similar to a great vintage year wine that was laid down for dozens of years prior to going to market again. I'd rather let that sit in my house (assuming my in-laws don't crack it open while house sitting) and age as opposed to buying it years later at the premium.

Every once in a while, I like grabbing 5 or 10 aged beauties, but they're typically cigars that require age for me to enjoy them (Trini Fundies and Partagas Salomones are 2 semi-recent purchases).

Otherwise, yeah, always better to experience a box turning the corner on its own.

I have been in a buying spree lately but passed on aged stock.  I guess that means paying the premium isn’t worth it to me. Some of these year-old sticks look so nice I’d rather take my chances with them. Nothing wrong with going balls out on aged sticks if that’s that you want, though. 

Define “aged” please .

have never chased “aged” smokes (so I guess my answer is no) ... but 10 or 12 year old smokes are occasionally on the shelves in Havana ... you just need the time and patience to find them ... I will buy if they are the make/model I am looking for .

derrek

• Like 1

Just now, Cayman17 said:

I have been in a buying spree lately but passed on aged stock.  I guess that means paying the premium isn’t worth it to me. Some of these year-old sticks look so nice I’d rather take my chances with them. Nothing wrong with going balls out on aged sticks if that’s that you want, though. 

spot on. I age/d my own stock but if there is something I don't want to wait until 2023 for, I will jump on in. Others I am more than happy with one or two year old stock. 

1 hour ago, dvickery said:

Define “aged” please .

have never chased “aged” smokes (so I guess my answer is no) ... but 10 or 12 year old smokes are occasionally on the shelves in Havana ... you just need the time and patience to find them ... I will buy if they are the make/model I am looking for .

derrek

I remember the days when you could find 10 year old + stock on the shelves. the smaller locales were the best and it was a ton of fun.

that has pretty much disappeared however, and it is a shame. 

• Like 1

Personally i put little to no premium on aged boxes.  Ive smoked a fair share of aged cigars over the years and while some have been wonderful for every great one there seems to have been an equally bland or uninspired one. I would much rather buy current production, asses whether the box has aging potential, and go from there.  This is also a product of enjoying a bit of the mongrel as Rob would say.  

I think humidor size can also determine the ability to age multiple boxes & influences purchase decisions for some. No wrong answers just different priorities, space restrictions & bank accounts. I would like to see some aged PLPCs (5+) from time to time. They are hard to come by.

• Like 1

I'll buy "aged" boxes to age of certain cigars.  I'm rarely disappointed in a 10+yr old cigar, I'm frequently disappointed when I smoke cigars less than 2yrs old.   I don't smoke many fresh cigars anymore.  Time changes cigars, whether for better or worse is a matter of personal preference.  

• Like 1

I think the locker here is the best solution.  Build up a nice stockpile, and in 3-5 years I can just buy a new box and ship an aged one here.  Like buying an aged box every time.

I'm a pretty patient guy and there's enough cigars out there that are more than enjoyable young that I'm not paying extra for aged stock.

• Like 1

I have bought some aged stock over the years but the vast majority of aged stock I have are cigars I bought and aged myself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

I have the solution: buy Monte open - every single box I’ve bought or seen was from 2010 or even older ;)

I think mine are 2010 last time I looked. I still can't put them up

While i don't seek out aged boxes or buy because they are aged, when presented a choice of a current production or something with a few years on it, i'll take the one with a few years on it, even at a premium. when looking for a box i want, and i come across one with some years on it - bonus.  of course you have to feel comfortable with the care during the years.  

• Like 2

I mostly age my own as well, and the psychology of it is truly fun . . . you basically spend years thinking "how good it's gonna be" :P  A bit silly I know, but one has to take enjoyment where one finds it! :D 

I've also bought aged stock and have had really good results with stuff in the 5 year zone.  Much older than that and it becomes a real uncertainty on the flavors.  I've also occasionally found a 7 year old box on the shelves somewhere, and tubos are better bets for this (in terms of flavor preservation in uncertain conditions).

Buying aged through El Pres on the PCC program is a good bet, since you'll have a knowledgeable set of eyes looking at the sticks.

And I've enjoyed the Anejados program (at least for the Montes and the Partagas, haven't tried R&J), despite what the cynics say! :cigar: 

• Like 1

Not much at all. I've been lucky to try quite a few "aged" sticks due to gifts/trades/samplers etc and always enjoying them but for now I prefer to buy recent production and age myself. I would probably buy some aged singles/samplers once a year or so just to mix it up.

Very little interest. Aside from buying something I know to be good from smoking experience that I know has been stored properly for what is a reasonable markup (5% per year perhaps) I have no interest. Sure, El Laguito Cohiba is a safe bet but the premiums are just too much. Aside from that, there's very little that fits all that criteria for me. I've been buying vintage/aged cigars very infrequently for 15 years and I have been consistently disappointed. I have come to have very low expectations for almost all vintage cigars.

Honestly, the best box of vintage cigars I've ever had was probably a TAM JUN 07 box of Monte 4 that I bought late last year. Aside from the draw issues (easily fixed with the Perfecdraw), they were very good. 95-96 points, and priced very well. And I smoked a lot of Monte in 07-09 and knew it was a very strong period and trusted the source. 

If the following stock were put up on 24:24 tomorrow...
  • '14 Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux
  • '14 Diplomaticos Bushido Asia Pacifico Regional Edition
  • '11 Cohiba 1966 Limited Edition
  • '09 Trinidad Robusto T and/or Robusto Extra
then, quite a few of us will be seeking to get aged stock.

That’s why I am only talking regular production for the purposes of this discussion. When you get into that type of stuff, man, it’s a whole different ball game. You have plenty of guys with coin that won’t think twice about buying those type of cigars (god bless them) and guys like me that will drool over them but can’t seriously consider plunking down a mortgage payment on a box of smokes. Regular production stuff is typically affordable enough that most people here *could* afford it, but might not be willing to pay the premium for something they can order in the carts for 30% less

36 minutes ago, Silverstix said:

That’s why I am only talking regular production for the purposes of this discussion. When you get into that type of stuff, man, it’s a whole different ball game. You have plenty of guys with coin that won’t think twice about buying those type of cigars (god bless them) and guys like me that will drool over them but can’t seriously consider plunking down a mortgage payment on a box of smokes. Regular production stuff is typically affordable enough that most people here *could* afford it, but might not be willing to pay the premium for something they can order in the carts for 30% less.

Of course, I post in jest, with levity. I'm disinclined to get regular production cigars that are already aged myself too, especially from popular marcas such as the global brands (H.Upmann, Cohiba, Hoyo de Monterrey, Romeo y Julieta, Partagas and Montecristo). These marcas have had much fewer deletions in the past few years in comparison to the local, multi-local and niche brands, for example.