Aussie Spider species identification

Around my house right now, Redbacks, Huntsman, Black House and White Tip Spiders (plus the harmless Golden Orb Weaver and St Andrews Cross spiders). Killed 2 wandering White Tips about an hour ago. One actually walked across my arm when I was sitting at my desk watching TV. Get quite a few White Tips in my area; they keep the Redback population down.

Huntsman spiders are common in my neck of the woods.  This big bastard sought shelter in my workshop with me during the recent storm.

I usually just leave them be, and they help keep the other insects and spiders under control. If they get into the main house I relocate them outdoors.

Huntsman.thumb.jpg.c9952a2cd0a48e96c3b4593662c4ea42.jpg A closer image for you!

HuntsmanCloseup.thumb.jpg.9159a8ebd6da6b4338fa672c48f9a40b.jpg

yes, huntsman spiders are very useful.

for some reason, they love my letterbox. there is almost always a big one in it. i think they find it a safe place to breed as they often have an egg sac with them which they protect. i posted pics a few years back. if i think of it, i'll take one of the current resident. she's a big one.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, thedame007 said:

I’m annoyed if I find a draft in my letter box. Seems I need to rethink my annoyance...

in fairness to the mail, my postie almost always just bangs on the garage door and hands me the mail, so it is a nice quiet environment for a spider.

• Haha 1

I know theres a ton of deadly animals in the Outback, but I've always liked spiders. Remarkable feat of evolution they are. Especially the Jumping spiders, they can actually create a 3D map and keep it in their "brains" while areas are out of site. The jumping spider called Porsche is remarkable it can actually create a 3D map and plot a course to wherever its going and get there. Can also reevaluate if something pops up that it didn't see before. They will also try various hunting methods until they succeed. Thank god they're tiny or we wouldn't be here.

• Like 1

I've encountered all except the Funnel Web over the years.

It was only a few nights ago I was watching a movie on Netflix, in the dark, when I seen something crawling across the rug. It was a Black House Spider.

These buggers look so similar to a Funnel web and trying to clobber it, the darn thing reared itself up just like a funnel web! Which made me wonder.... what if funnel webs are here in Victoria? They're a worry.

Normal spider in my neck of the woods is the white tail, these are quite aggressive and can grow quite long. Creepy bastards.

17 minutes ago, MIKA27 said:

I've encountered all except the Funnel Web over the years.

It was only a few nights ago I was watching a movie on Netflix, in the dark, when I seen something crawling across the rug. It was a Black House Spider.

These buggers look so similar to a Funnel web and trying to clobber it, the darn thing reared itself up just like a funnel web! Which made me wonder.... what if funnel webs are here in Victoria? They're a worry.

Normal spider in my neck of the woods is the white tail, these are quite aggressive and can grow quite long. Creepy bastards.

You guys do have a funnel web spider in Victoria, but compared to the Sydney version, they are like VB.... pissweak! :rotfl:

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

You guys do have a funnel web spider in Victoria, but compared to the Sydney version, they are like VB.... pissweak! :rotfl:

Well this is one case where I'm glad Sydney best Victoria. There aren't any other examples :whistle:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

we are happy for you guys to fight out 2nd place. in all things.

Quite right Ken! We have enough to deal with here in the Blue Mountains with brown snakes and tiger snakes, along with both the Sydney and Northern tree funnel webs, without adding the coastal taipan. We don't have your flippers-and-goggles humidity either, so you definitely win!! :2thumbs:

44 minutes ago, IanMcLean68 said:

Quite right Ken! We have enough to deal with here in the Blue Mountains with brown snakes and tiger snakes, along with both the Sydney and Northern tree funnel webs, without adding the coastal taipan. We don't have you're flippers-and-goggles humidity either, so you definitely win!! :2thumbs:

Don't forget, you have your own funnel web spider, Hadronyche verusta the Blue Mountains Funnel Web. And there's also the Southern Tree Funnel Web...