FOH Mould Study

Ferrero

Fantastic effort Rob!  Thanks for undertaking this.  I think I might have a candidate for actual plume.  I have some old HU No 4's from the Mid 70's.  No fuzzy stuff on them, but there are shiny, crystalline spots here and there.  I don't have the right camera or skills to photograph it though.  

@photorob Maybe you can take some close ups this week?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The idea behind the mould study was to shed some light into the world of mould and plume.   Earlier in the year we asked for examples of both from members and then selected 10 representative ciga

Time to update the FOH definition: PLUME/PLOOM/BLOOM noun  plüm / blüm What people think are the crystalized remnants of oils left on a cigar wrapper.... but really it's just mold.

I can see the next trend: Hey guys do you think it's Candida Parapsilosis or Aspergillus? Dude, that's Penicillium ascomycetous! You're joking that's obviously Wallemia sebi!

This is a great project Rob. I'm amazed it hasn't been done until now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Perhaps it has but the people involved were making too much money from plumey/mouldy cigars to publish the results...
  • Like 2

Good job mates!

As I have proffered for many years. More creative terms borne out of the desire to sell a cigar from the collector and vendor community. (Present company excluded).

I was in fact hoping to find a case where there was this diffusion of glue (someone posted about)... That made some sense to me.

"The King is dead!" -LOL

-Piggy

• Like 1

Thanks for undertaking this and sharing the results.  Nice to put some science behind what many of us have long suspected, that it's always mold.  It was interesting to read about the different kinds of mold, but the cigars pictured all pretty clearly had mold.  I've long been of the belief that plume on a cigar is a myth.  I'd be fascinated to be proven wrong.  Hopefully the new incentive will at least produce some better candidates.

• Like 1

I'm sure we will soon hear from vendors: Yes its mould but that doesn't mean its bad. Look at cheese and salami. It enhances the cigars taste just like those!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luv2fly said:
1 hour ago, TheGipper said:

Mold is everywhere. Not just on your aged cigars

Very true.  In my former job I had to explain this to more people than I can count.  Wipe the cigar, smoke, and enjoy!

To be precise: Spores - yes sure, vegetative, i.e. "blooming" mould should not! That's the very matter of controlling conditions.

• Like 3

@Ferrero I can provide examples of well-aged (10, 15, 20 year-old) pipe tobacco with what look like crystals, if you would like.  It's long been suspected that these are neither mold nor sugar, but some other substance.  Not sure if that would be of interest in this study, since pipe tobacco is processed quite differently, but that community is quite curious, and has never done any testing, to my knowledge.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, planetary said:

@Ferrero I can provide examples of well-aged (10, 15, 20 year-old) pipe tobacco with what look like crystals, if you would like.  It's long been suspected that these are neither mold nor sugar, but some other substance.  Not sure if that would be of interest in this study, since pipe tobacco is processed in wildly different ways, but that community is quite curious, and has never done any testing, to my knowledge.

You've got me very intrigued... If you are okay parting ways with a little pinch then we would love to get it tested.

• Like 3