Bloody shiraz gin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be available here in the UK. Very interested in this, I think I'm going to get it for the missus, then hide it once the brownie points have been gained. Cheers for bringing it to our attentio

dimmers, apols, i have been off air. my understanding was that the batch 1 members were those who helped crowd fund the kick off plus a few mates (i am in the latter category). i gather it was on

cracked one of mine, or more technically, one of a mate's that i arranged, last night. hard not to love!  

4 minutes ago, JC67 said:

Gents

received my 6 pack of Bloody Shiraz today

Bloody awsome and paired with an Epi 2 has been a nice hour or reflection.

the epi 2 has received plenty of flak lately but this box BOA 16 has been good

I have to pick up the ankle biters soon so thank go for after school care

IMG_0085.JPG

Good on you John. My that was quick, I picked up a couple of bottles today myself. I'm glad there's a lot more of this batch this time.

3 minutes ago, dicko said:

So not tried it yet but picked up 2 bottles today (website) on everyone's recommendation!

Wise move! I hope you enjoy it as much as many of us here on FoH do!

• Like 1

On 01/06/2017 at 4:08 PM, in0gravity said:

Thanks Ken,

ok that it excplains it. Do you know if they make another batch of the Sydney Underground? In larger volumes maybe?

regards

Lars

I was just at a bloody Shiraz tasting and asked about the underground gin, apparently they only ever released 250 bottles of this and they where only given to the "founding members" or what he said were people who invested and bought the first 400 bottles of the very first release. 

On on a side note apparently they will be releasing another Christmas gin again for this year and more of the cousin Vera gin as well - so I have been told

• Like 1

I like to point out that usually I am the one that drinks most of John's Four Pillars. Bloody Shiraz being the fav.

Last time, John just pour at least quarter bottle of if for me in a G and T, I was in my own space for the remaining gathering with a RAG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jay8354 said:

I like to point out that usually I am the one that drinks most of John's Four Pillars. Bloody Shiraz being the fav.

Last time, John just pour at least quarter bottle of if for me in a G and T, I was in my own space for the remaining gathering with a RAG.

Trust me, it was my pleasure! The '06 Ramon Allones Gigantes you gifted me certainly complimented the Bloody Shiraz Gin nicely!

I'm now tempted to bring along my Underground Sydney Gin bottle to our next get together to sample as @Thomasdenaro has indicated that they are rare indeed. I'm humbled I have a bottle!

• Like 1

On 01/06/2017 at 4:08 PM, in0gravity said:

Thanks Ken,

ok that it excplains it. Do you know if they make another batch of the Sydney Underground? In larger volumes maybe?

regards

Lars

no. a one-off i believe.

but they do lots of weird stuff and i suspect if there was enough of a push, they'd make it. as of last week, i'm told no intention.

On 01/06/2017 at 10:12 AM, Dimmers said:

Ken, are 'batch 1 members' those who bought via the FP site or cellar door ?

dimmers, apols, i have been off air.

my understanding was that the batch 1 members were those who helped crowd fund the kick off plus a few mates (i am in the latter category). i gather it was only a few hundred people. they get the offers like the Underground gin and others. i am not sure if the group has expanded a little for offers like Christmas gin and Cousin Vera and Bloody Shiraz.

if you like Cousin Vera, try 'Lola and Vera' - it is from the Spanish distillery that made half of Cousin Vera and is a cracker. weird bottle. vera is the name of their still (as is lola).

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Trust me, it was my pleasure! The '06 Ramon Allones Gigantes you gifted me certainly complimented the Bloody Shiraz Gin nicely!

I'm now tempted to bring along my Underground Sydney Gin bottle to our next get together to sample as @Thomasdenaro has indicated that they are rare indeed. I'm humbled I have a bottle!

John, the guy i was talking to about them was up from the distillery in Victoria, so i can only assume he is telling the truth, i have never seen it nor is it mentioned on anything for four pillars, if you have a bottle you are very lucky indeed! well done.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thomasdenaro said:

John, the guy i was talking to about them was up from the distillery in Victoria, so i can only assume he is telling the truth, i have never seen it nor is it mentioned on anything for four pillars, if you have a bottle you are very lucky indeed! well done.

The thing I admire about the Four Pillars guys is how innovative they are, they're willing to try new things with their batches. Now with the Bloody Shiraz Gin, it's become so hugely popular that for many of us, it's our new 'de facto' sloe gin bottle in our bar.

As for the Underground Sydney Gin, it sounds like something else altogether, quite savoury if you go by their website description:

"It's a bit salty like the Sydney surf, a bit citrusy courtesy of grapefruit, cumquat and lemon, and a bit exotic thanks to olive leaf, nori seaweed and fresh Tassie-grown wasabi."

Does that sound like your standard gin? No...and that's why I love Four Pillars!

• Like 1

The thing I admire about the Four Pillars guys is how innovative they are

$100+ for a bottle of Gin. I guess you could call that innovation :lookaround:

13 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

$100+ for a bottle of Gin. I guess you could call that innovation :lookaround:

Well, what can I say? Australian prices, not comparable to your part of the world, no. However, in their defence, they are a small boutique distillery outfit.

18 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Well, what can I say? Australian prices, not comparable to your part of the world, no. However, in their defence, they are a small boutique distillery outfit.

and the govt takes such a massive chunk - they have to submit a GST return every week apparently. nothing like red tape to stuff a business.

john, you mention sloe gin and it certainly has some links but it is much much less sweet than the usual sloe. i was staggered when i found out the levels of sweetness in some sloes - sweeter than some german TBA's. insane.

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

and the govt takes such a massive chunk - they have to submit a GST return every week apparently. nothing like red tape to stuff a business.

john, you mention sloe gin and it certainly has some links but it is much much less sweet than the usual sloe. i was staggered when i found out the levels of sweetness in some sloes - sweeter than some german TBA's. insane.

I concur Ken in regards to red tape and business in Australia. I also agree about the sloe gin being sweeter. Four Pillars also make the Bloody Shiraz Gin at 37.8% ABV rather than the average 30% for sloe gin, so that makes a difference too.

17 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

if you like Cousin Vera, try 'Lola and Vera' - it is from the Spanish distillery that made half of Cousin Vera and is a cracker. weird bottle. vera is the name of their still (as is lola).

thanks for the tip shall do!

Wanted to pick up some of the barrel aged as well but sold out unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Dimmers said:

Wanted to pick up some of the barrel aged as well but sold out unfortunately.

Yes, I just checked on the Four Pillars site and it is sold out. @Dimmers, below is a list of Queensland independent retailers who stock Four Pillars Gins:

* Black Sheep Bottle Shop, Newmarket
* Craft Red Hill, Musgrave
* Cru Bar & Cellar, Fortitude Valley
* Ferry Road Wine & Beer
* Malt Traders, Brisbane CBD
* The Wine Emporium, Newstead

@Fuzz and @JohnS, thanks gents, much appreciated! I'll go a-hunting on the weekend. John, i intended to wander over to wine emporium or crubar for bloody shiraz tasting last weekend, but something came up last minute.

Hey question for Aus based folk - what tonic do you use for your G&Ts ? Dont laugh (too much), but I have used the coles tonic mainly (scheweppes for me a little too carbonated+ sweet). I also bought a brand called either capi or copi tonic from dan murphys a few months back and rather liked it.

Some are very particular about drink mixers, but I don't have a brand preference. The last time we sampled some Four Pillars as a group we used Schweppes soda and tonic water, but I've used Capi and Fever-Tree varieties too and they were fine.

• Like 1

I have tried to make my own tonic syrup. The main issue is how to get it back to clear from the red-ish-brown bark color it gets. I tried using agar agar but it didn't work so well. In the end, I just use Fever Tree (even the low-cal when my wife is partaking).

1 hour ago, Dimmers said:

@Fuzz and @JohnS, thanks gents, much appreciated! I'll go a-hunting on the weekend. John, i intended to wander over to wine emporium or crubar for bloody shiraz tasting last weekend, but something came up last minute.

Hey question for Aus based folk - what tonic do you use for your G&Ts ? Dont laugh (too much), but I have used the coles tonic mainly (scheweppes for me a little too carbonated+ sweet). I also bought a brand called either capi or copi tonic from dan murphys a few months back and rather liked it.

59 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Some are very particular about drink mixers, but I don't have a brand preference. The last time we sampled some Four Pillars as a group we used Schweppes soda and tonic water, but I've used Capi and Fever-Tree varieties too and they were fine.

I use Coles brand. Have used many others, but to me it doesn't matter mainly because I add more gin... after all, it is a Gin & Tonic, not a Tonic & Gin. :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

I use Coles brand. Have used many others, but to me it doesn't matter mainly because I add more gin... after all, it is a Gin & Tonic, not a Tonic & Gin. :P

i love the Strangelove tonics. "Light Tonic" for a great G&T; "Bitter Lemon" for flavour; and my fave, the "Dirty Tonic" for a terrific instant dirty martini.

but i would tend to use them when using more standard gins - not Christmas or Green Ant or Truffle or Bloody Shiraz Gin etc.

• Like 1