24:24 change you?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

99% of members are fantastic.  The team and I are always trying to devise a better system that achieves a fairer outcome. That may mean 24:24 in a different guise. We are still a little way off th

Temporarily.  I was discussing this with @Ethernut the other day.  I believe there's a progression of sorts you go through.  At first I was an entitled feverish Kid in a Candy store.  Then I started s

Hoarding cigars?  By all means, I'm guilty as sin.  Half the people on here are, that's half the fun.     Buying rare, aged stock nobody can get and posting them at a markup shortly after br

8 hours ago, devildoge9 said:

One thing is clear here... Barry hates newbies... this newbie says, no soup for you!

Not true at all.  Have commented and helped lots of newbies with their questions.  This forum is more about "giving" than "taking"......

BTW - Last count there were 160 different boxes being offered for sale on CUNTINT.  

You've been here a month - Have you visited or purchased from the Int'l Store yet?

2 hours ago, BarryNY said:

Not true at all.  Have commented and helped lots of newbies with their questions.  This forum is more about "giving" than "taking"......

BTW - Last count there were 160 different boxes being offered for sale on CUNTINT.  

You've been here a month - Have you visited or purchased from the Int'l Store yet?

I have made purchases in the store, but not sure I understand the connection to your suggestion of not "allowing" me or other newcomers to purchase as others can, just so someone who's been here however much longer than I can be able to stockpile and in some cases flip for profit.

It's been mentioned several times, hard to find, limited availability product should be limited to a box or two.  Even costco has a 1 per household limit on some items... 

• Like 2

If some low life (they think they are clever and entitled) want to purchase from cuntint and flip them for profit there is not much to be done.  But access to the cream of the crop in 24.24 needs to be protected from what I suspect are long term prolific posters as it goes against what FOH stands for.

Report these wasters,. name and shame or ban them, so that the majority continue to enjoy access to great cigars.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, devildoge9 said:

I have made purchases in the store, but not sure I understand the connection to your suggestion of not "allowing" me or other newcomers to purchase as others can, just so someone who's been here however much longer than I can be able to stockpile and in some cases flip for profit.

It's been mentioned several times, hard to find, limited availability product should be limited to a box or two.  Even costco has a 1 per household limit on some items... 

Don't worry, Barry even cut himself off from 24:24 with his own 6 month rule ;). It's hardly a BOTL move to say, "you haven't been here as long as me you can't join" and doesn't exactly welcome people to the forum.

• Like 3

Been a member a couple of years,  enjoyed reading the forum, not posting myself.  The last couple of months have been buying from 24 24, never more than one box at a time.  Have gotten some very nice boxes,  and have missed out on many more. I have bought boxes on 24 24, that I  normally would not have and have been enjoying trying new cigars.  I really appreciate having a group  such as FOH, to learn about Cuban cigars, and purchase a quality product from.  Thanks

• Like 2

On 3/6/2017 at 1:23 AM, El Presidente said:

I never use to panic that I would meet the 7:30 am Monday and Friday kickoff. :shead:

I never use to get e-mails seeking a CSI investigation as the timing of received e-mails. Conspiracy theorists abound.....they are worse when combined with paranoia.....yes...that means you buddy! :lookaround:

The sweet offers of a lucrative payday for the selective leaking of the 24:24 a day early....

The trumped up indignation and "demanding" of a box when told all are gone. 

I suspect the days of 24:24 are numbered at least in it's current guise. 

Prez, please don't let the nasty misbehaviors of the few :wacko: ruin the excited hunt for gold for the rest!  Besides, having some insight into your tasting notes associated with a given marca has been a great (perhaps unrecognized) and ongoing education for us all, while on the hunt.

• Like 4

On 3/6/2017 at 6:59 PM, FLB03TT said:

24:24 has completely changed my CC acquisition process. I used to chase box codes from other vendors, but learned how much of a crapshoot that approach is- it just doesn't work. Rob's review, grading and pictures are absolutely essential to acquiring good boxes. I love 24:24 and could not imagine a world without it. 

Some fine tuning like limiting 1st hour sales to one box per customer would be a great idea. I have a fast internet connection, but feel for those who don't, and who regularly miss out. One box in first hour would help level the playing field for all.

As for those sucking up multiple boxes for resale- let them burn in hell, which is where they're ending up anyway. That behavior is completely abhorrent and not at all in the spirit of the community the vast majority of us are trying to develop and perpetuate here.

Great ideas, all!

• Like 1

:cigar: lol, there's really no way to make 24:24 'more fair' or equitable.  Just a year or two ago the offerings would post up and you'd have time to think about it.  Now you set your watch and hit the bid or lose it forever.  I used to hit a fair number of 24:24's, but my travel schedule really screws that up.  Two years ago things would still be available 6 or 8 hours after posting, so I could check in after landing and get lucky. :love:  No more.  Too many brethren appreciating Rob's astute selection of leaf! :cigar: 

From a business point of view, there's probably a magic balance in the offering: you don't want 24:24's to sell out in 5 minutes, nor do you want them hanging around until the next day.  So if they're selling out "too" quickly, add more stock.  The limitation is that it's stock that requires inspection, and there's only Rob doing that . . . and let's face it, just how much speed do you think is in that old guy?? :P 

Order from the online store and you're guaranteed PE (or better).  24:24 might be PE clearance, but also HQ and PSP, which is the real attraction for those of us laying down cigars for 5-10 years.  If you're going to do that, there's no reason to not pay an extra few bucks and get Rob's best.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BMWBen said:

Don't worry, Barry even cut himself off from 24:24 with his own 6 month rule ;). It's hardly a BOTL move to say, "you haven't been here as long as me you can't join" and doesn't exactly welcome people to the forum.

Some of my best friends are 24:24 newbies ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BMWBen said:

That is correct.  I cut myself off.  How unselfish of me........................don't you think?

The forum is about sharing information and ideas.  Getting to buy inspected quality cigars is just an added benefit.

Everyone may feel differently but to come here JUST FOR THE 24:24 SALE to cherry pick a few choice boxes is just plain wrong.

• Like 1

Guest robitowitz

In regards to fairness, you can only control fairness of opportunity not fairness of outcome.  We all have a fair and equal opportunity to purchase from 24:24 and that is as much as you can ask for.

This.
So often fairness is wrongfully equated to equal outcome. Not saying a process can't be improved, but one shouldn't be using everyone getting the box they want when they want it to measure fairness IMHO

To the original question: has definitely changed my habits. often the box I'm "planning" on picking up next get pushed down when I see another box I want on the 24:24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an aside...
Does anyone else check to see if the box that arrives is the actual one featured in the photo? Alignment of labels, seams of leaf, etc? It's another level of fun I promise you. (Obviously, it doesn't have the same thrill with single box locker sales)
?

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

On 3/7/2017 at 4:45 PM, BarryNY said:

First and foremost, this site is about friendships and gathering information along with sharing ideas, thoughts and experiences.

That being said, the ability to purchase boxes via 24:24 is an unbelieveable benefit if not honor.

Just like the rules for the Trading Room - I believe that in order to take advantage of products offered in the 24:24 sale you should limit the participants to those with 6 months of membership and a minimum of 100 posts....newbies can always buy products on CUNTINT.

So I've been a lurker here for a while and just created an account recently.  Reading through this thread has kind of made me think about what it means to participate and whether there should be a quota of posting before being allowed to participate.  Personally, I feel more comfortable with the time requirement over the post number.  Some people are just shy and would rather read than post.

That said, I really agree that it is tragic that people are buying up tons of boxes to resell, and a timed limit seems to make some sense to me.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2017 at 0:23 AM, El Presidente said:

I never use to panic that I would meet the 7:30 am Monday and Friday kickoff. :shead:

I never use to get e-mails seeking a CSI investigation as the timing of received e-mails. Conspiracy theorists abound.....they are worse when combined with paranoia.....yes...that means you buddy! :lookaround:

The sweet offers of a lucrative payday for the selective leaking of the 24:24 a day early....

The trumped up indignation and "demanding" of a box when told all are gone. 

I suspect the days of 24:24 are numbered at least in it's current guise. 

It would be a shame if we lost the 24:24 because of the paranoid ramblings of a few entitled millennials.  We all know what time it starts and we all know that it goes fast.  For the men whiners out there, man up and quit being pussies!  To the women I apologize for my crassness.  I support Rob and his team at FOH and am very thankful that he is who he is and provides the service that he does.  

Cheers! 

Bill

• Like 4

On 3/7/2017 at 6:09 PM, BuzzArd said:

To go back to the original question, "has the 24:24 influenced your buying" 

I'd have to say yes.  Rob's mouthwatering descriptions have had me asking for boxes I'd have never even considered in the past.  Everything i asked for is still in my humidors. None for sale.  They'll die waiting for me to smoke 'em, or they'll die when I find and light them.

Or I'll die, whichever comes first...

Could not have said this better myself.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2017 at 6:12 PM, BarryNY said:

From the responses I think the majority here would opt to ban the flipper..........

Yes, just ban the wankers or put them in time out for a fixed period of time.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Can't see the link made between duration of membership and likelihood of flipping purchases.

True, though I've always thought it's how people view the forum - which was an offshoot of the store, originally. Obviously they are interwoven now more than ever. I imagine that a number of members view the forum as a group of friends, or at the least, a group of people sharing a similar interest. I also imagine that any number of people view  FOH / Czars as little more than a commerce site. I've my own thoughts, but if the end game is providing product to paying customers......

As to banning "flippers", do we really feel the Czar crew should be tracking and policing who buys what and how much they buy?

• Like 3

I like the idea that a few people have posted of having a page with an actual cart so you can buy it directly from a "24:24 page" and it won't let you buy once sold out.  This would reduce the work that Di has to do manually responding to emails as well as processing payments.  It would save the FOH team a bunch of time.  

One of my favorite things about buying here is @Elpresidente descriptions and thoughts of each cigar as well as the grading system.  I would hate for this to be lost.  Doing the page with a cart could keep this piece as well as making it easier to manage the workload.  You could also limit high demand purchases if you would like.

The other fun part of 24:24 for me anyway is the hunt.  Can I sign in quick enough and get that box I've wanted for a long time?  I've been doing this with the Cohiba Lanceros for awhile now, and while I haven't gotten one yet, I think that it will happen eventually. They are just cigars and it won't affect my life overall if I don't get one.

• Like 3