Now that Cuba is open, Americans aren't going

I think the news article is a little overblown but it hits on some key issues that we raised in another thread last week. 

Sky high prices and government shenanigans have curtailed cuba's traditional tourist markets. All eggs went into the US explosion. 

2018/19 will be interesting if it doesn't materialise as expected. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-cuba-travel-20170220-story.html

The article is spot on.  I have not gone yet due to concerns of meeting the full legal requirements.  The federal government can be petty and a private citizen can be ruined trying to defend their self in court against an opponent  with unlimited time and resources.  I would also rather not go through a firm/agency as I would rather spend that money on cigars.    

29 minutes ago, anacostiakat said:

Interesting.  The whole credit card fiasco is a real downer.

For Aussies too. I had issue when I was there the week before Obama visited. I was amazed how much the hotels were after back then (I stayed at a casa) but the inflation on most everything was noticeable, even the hop-on/hop-off bus doubled its prices from those in the brochure! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anacostiakat said:

Interesting.  The whole credit card fiasco is a real downer.

This. I  can't imagine carrying thousands of dollars in cash around for days in a third world country, even if I wasn't under the influence of rum much of the time. 

- MG 

I have said from the beginning (Obama's changes) that nothing will change in Cuba until they adopt a single currency that is openly traded on the market.

I don't see this EVER happening as Cuba needs foreign currency to pay for their imports, and right now they do pretty good at obtaining it - with the artificial exchange rate they have. If they go with an open market currency, their peso will be worth a few cents as  opposed to equal to the US dollar.

Read similar article last week. No way I'm going now.  So the flight got easier, but everything else got worse (carrying cash the same, just need more of it). 

I don't understand why the airlines and Cubans thought this would be some mass surge.  Coming from Atlanta, I can get tickets to dozens of other cities using less delta sky miles than Havana??? And I csn use my credit card and have those protections whereas in Cuba I can't.

nope, just not in the cards.  Silly financial decision until it's all opened up, the novelty wears off and prices/ease start to fall in line closer to other destinations in that area.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stinkhead said:

I am from Chicago (where the article is from) and somehow missed this in the paper. I just booked my first trip for June. I  have taken a different approach, that the amount of "hassle" is a good thing and is worth the opportunity to see Havana before it is spoiled completely since people are still deterred. 

Agree with this point. If I were single, I'd be all for it for that exact reason. Traveling with wife and two under agre 7 just make it too overwhelming. 

• Like 2

Look at hotel and other tourist prices in Cuba. Ridiculous. For 400USD a day, I can stay in a (REAL) 5 star hotel in Cancun, Mexico with hot showers, adequate bath towels and wash rags, in room booze, high speed internet, and fantastic hotel restaurant food including filet mignon steak. I am really considering taking a vacation to Cuba off my bucket list. I am sure many other Americans seeing the inflated prices in Cuba are reconsidering also.

• Like 1

The funny thing about prices is once they go up, they dont really ever fully go back down.  Maybe the hotel prices will equalize, however the private service prices will probably hover atound where they are.  If things have doubled you only have to work half as hard for the same $$$$$$.

• Like 2

While I did have a great experience on my trip, I can definitely see how travelling there from the US is not for everyone. The money issue and overall infrastructure can be problematic but if you do your research and go into it with the adequate expectations, you will set yourself up to have a good time.

For most people, given the choice between travelling to a "risky" location and a more typical spot, the choice is easy. Why take the risk? Hard for me to imagine things changing soon for US citizens.

I read a similar article last week. IMPO the challenges that keep tourists away are;

- As noted, the cost of everything went up in anticipation of the US surge, and not by just a bit, but by huge amounts. In effect Cuba is pricing itself out of tourism.

- The basic necessities most tourists expect in vacationland are still lacking, i.e. credit card acceptance, ATMs, banks, air conditioning, reliable uninterrupted power, WiFi/Broadband, posh beachfront hotels, and the many amenities that cater to fickle American tourists.

- There are a lot of other nice Caribbean destinations competing for tourists, many of which are more modern and much cheaper, such as Mexico, Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Jamaica, etc. Once the initial surge of cigar mavens subsides, tourists will naturally gravitate to better values elsewhere.

As discussed here and elsewhere, the high prices and government shenanigans are not only dismaying to US tourists, but traditional tourists from Canada and other parts that are faced with these recent unfriendly trends.   

• Like 1

Of course, there's also the overall state of the U.S. economy to consider. It's not quite 'in recovery' as is often depicted IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Yes! Its hard to get there and miserable once you arrive. Everything is overpriced and sucks. The US government is currently in the process of tracking down and building cases against the 250,000 citizens that went last year. Most with no "paperwork", myself included. 

LOL! I appreciate the sarcasm however I never underestimate the stupidity of drunk with power bureaucrats regardless of which party holds the majority at the time.  The government seldom goes after large groups but rather chooses to make an example of individuals.  Given my luck this would be the only lottery I would ever win.    

• Like 2

Of course, the new immigration and border enforcement matters in the US may also be somewhat of a deterrent I suspect. Though little has been stated publicly, I suspect many Americans are concerned about the added scrutiny a trip to Cuba my incur.  

Just now, Philc2001 said:

Of course, the new immigration and border enforcement matters in the US may also be somewhat of a deterrent I suspect. Though little has been stated publicly, I suspect many Americans are concerned about the added scrutiny a trip to Cuba my incur.  

Yup, even if it's a remote chance, I don't need the hassle. Im all for exposing my son and daughter to different cultures away from the American one but could do so elsewhere with less headache. 

If I'm off to Cuba, I want to chill on the beach, listen to good music and enjoy some rum and cigars...and not be hassled on upon my return!?

5 hours ago, rhcolbert said:

Agree with this point. If I were single, I'd be all for it for that exact reason. Traveling with wife and two under agre 7 just make it too overwhelming. 

Same here. It's stressful enough to take the whole family on vacation without carrying drug kingpin levels of cash on me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PigFish said:

Hello, McFly!!!

Unless you are a cigar junkie, or celeb pushing the boundary of your 'alt' lifestyle, a politician or Hollywood type wanting to exhibit your love of Marxism and the egalitarian paradise of Isla Castro, the benefit does not fit the bill for most US Americans. And frankly, with the costs rising, I am betting Canadians and even some Europeans are going to start questioning their vacation choices.

Folks... those not living the in US, these guys have to compete with cruise ships with all you can eat and drink buffets, dreams of swimming with dolphins and free (included) snorkeling, golfing, parasailing, spa treatment, tips... and yes, more free drinking!

People who want culture and history, go to Europe... not a broken down communist flunky state! Seeing cattle pull a plow might me 'quaint' but it only goes so far...

Most US Americans don't get a month off, not with pay anyway! They get a couple of weeks, maybe! Vacations are supposed to be turn-key to most Americans.

Furthermore most US Americans don't give a rats ass about Cuba (generally)! It is a place where the military keeps terrorists in prison. There is no shortage of Hispanic Culture in the US and as previously mentioned, services and papering are key to many if not most US Americans...

Whether it is fat cigars or fat Americans, welcome to global competition Cuba. Innovate and compete or get creamed. It is the way of the world...

-the Pig

Couldn't agree more. Much better options for fun in the sun for my dollars.  CCs, yup, Rob has that covered. Seeing 1950s cars, can see them in every town on a Sat night in the summer in the states. 

I am hopeful Cuba gets it soon and makes itself a competitive island for us to visit. 

They don't quite have the marketing aspect down do they? "Come as a tourist to Cuba. Bring lots of cash only. Be easily recognizable as a tourist . . .carrying lots of cash on you. What could go wrong ? "

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Cuba is not a place for kids.....right now at least....not enough activities for little ones to do compared to other choices for vacation 

To be honest, the US govt doesn't really care you are going there, no matter the reason, they have more important things they are dealing with rather than you going to Cuba and what goods you are bringing back

the credit card scenario sucks but can be easily overcome if you just are smart going about your business while down there

plenty of cheap, nice places to stay if you do your homework before going

some of you guys are probably the same people that have a bunker in the backyard w a years supply of canned goods waiting on something terrible to happen ?

• Like 4