LCDH Best buy's

Just now, dominattorney said:

A friend of mine swears by buying trinidad fundadores in Cuba, mainly for the price. I've never been myself, but he says they can be had for under 200 dollars. 

Not quite, but I was about to say Fundis, and Coloniales. Much better pricing. Although if you are serious you don't really have to buy blind. I opened every box I bought during my last trip, before I plunked down any money. I only put 2 back, and 1 was so moldy that the attendant took it and put it under the counter.

With this in mind, browse the LCDHs as you see fit, each has their own mix of stock, but you should be able to get your eyes on pretty much every stick thats currently available. It might take you a few days, but in November I saw all the Cohibas (only singles of Behike), fonseca No 1s, all the available LCDH specials/LEs, plenty of Cuba REs(dips and SLRs), Etc.

Go in with a game plan. Look for what you want, grab it when you can, even a day later it may be gone. If you just have access to a mule and are really going to be flying blind then I would recommend LCDH exclusives like RAS, Upmann Noellas, Etc. They can be had for half price or less compared to international distributors.  

• Like 1

Stick to special production, mainly for the price, but also availability. I'd also look into the Cuba REs. But anything else, especially regular production, there's no reason to buy there outside of something like Trini. Rob's prices on 90% of stock are comparable to those found in Cuba. I'd also look for some vintage or rare stock as there's probably some interesting things still floating around down there.

And as stated above, inspect EVERY box you buy in Cuba thoroughly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I'd also look into the Cuba REs. But anything else, especially regular production, there's no reason to buy there outside of something like Trini. Rob's prices on 90% of stock are comparable to those found in Cuba.

This is true, but the OP is from Canada. We regularly get taxed hundreds of dollars in sin tax when things hit the border. Turns a bargain into a huge headache.

As a fellow Canadian I say buy what you like to smoke and also consider buying what is too expensive to acquire in Canada. Trinidads are expensive in Canada so I would no doubt pick some up if you like them. Customs and Cuba REs are nice but if you aren't interested in smoking them just buy what you like to smoke. And as others have said be sure to have someone open the box and closely inspect for mold and beetles.

• Like 3

I'm always comfortable buying Juanitas, Yolandas, Alejandros, etc in the blind.

I'll also buy blind if it looks like someone screwed up. I don't know if anyone else has seen this but the last time I was in Havana in November I saw a 2013 50 cab of Juan Lopez No. 2 mis-priced with the price for 25 on the box. I gave it a try and made it out the door with a 50% discount.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Back from Varadero , the Be live Varadero was great and just a 10 min. walk to 63 . Had an early morning rum and cigar session ( 9am LOL) with Alphonso a great start to a Friday ! Was able to purchase a 100ct mix of customs from him , Churchill's , Lanceros and Robustos  . FYI , Alphonso is on a rolling trip to Germany for a couple weeks as of last Monday .         

• Like 3

I just got back from a trip last week...

If I went back tomorrow my best buys would be Ramon Allones Superiors at $57cuc a box of 10, that is a steal for the size and quality....I brought back 7 boxes and should have bought more.

What I did was go to Yul's site and take the price list for stuff I wanted/like and print that up with comparison of what my vendors charge. That gave me an idea of percentage savings buying in Cuba.

Lastly every single box I bought was opened in front of me, and yes I did pass on a few things that weren't as pretty as I wanted. Just don't be a pain in the ass and let them know you are serious about buying and opening the box is no big deal. Some tourist will buy them down the road.

Oh and if you don't think opening a box matters then please buy the 2 boxes of San Cristobal LCdH editions from 2007 that are in the Terminal 3 airport Duty Free walk in humidor....those little holes shouldn't bother you at all :)

• Like 3

Opened for me a box of 2015 ELPprincipes at the LCDH Plaza  Americas they were nice  bought  them and a Fiver of Cohiba Coronas ESP. Along with 3 bottles of Santiago 11 .

• Like 2

Both are hard to come by in Havana (the people I was traveling with on my recent trip have far more experience than I have and work in the business)
I did see some nice smaller humidors at LCDH Melia Cohiba for the SLR and Dip RE made in conjunction for the recent festival but I didn't think they were worth the premium over the cigars so I just bought the cigars
Also saw another shop exclusive humidor at the Hotel Nacional shop-think that one had 20 SLR but they wanted a lot for it from memory.
Didn't see much else but then wasn't particularly searching for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, stinkhead said:

Is any of the real high end stuff like books or humidors available in Havana? I was wondering if this stuff was all exported to collector markets only.

Two times in Cuba and never saw a book. There are some special humidors made for celebration of special ocasions in LCDH (anniversary of a LCDH or the hotel or a celebrity in Cuba). In 2015 I saw in Hotel Habana Libre a humi with 20-30 Mag 56. 50 made If I am not wrong.