Prized boxes

Any 50 cabs of whatever; especially DC's.  Anything in a jar.  Any EL cigar that you may like the size.  They disappear quick and go up in price just as fast.  Cigars that going to be discontinued or are already discontinued, but you have to like what they are...  Don't stock up on odd sizes that you'll hardly smoke.  If you buy a ton; then sure, but be wise.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I think I'll just link to the 2017 cut list. :angry: :D

Definitely that. Get some before they disappear, and then show up 5 or 10 years from now at 3* the price. Aside from that, when you find a cigar that is to your liking, buy 2, one to smoke and one to put down for a nap.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zeedubbya said:

This question has two/three answers.  If you're squirreling away for investment the answer is different than if you're squirreling away for smoking.   Here's what I would do:

Investment--Buy up some limited release stuff.  ELs and REs as old as you can afford.  Grab boxes of Monte 80th Anniversario.  Cuban Regionals.  As someone above said Jars.  See if you can find most any 2003 boxes. 

Smoke/Investement--Buy BCGs, Lusi 50 Cabs, Cohiba Lanceros, Espys, and Siglo 6s. Find some Winnie's and Don Alejandro.  Buy Monte 2s.  Buy Lonsdales because they're disappearing fast.  Try to find 2014/2015 stock of these.  Not that 16 is bad at all, but 14/15 I think will be legendary in ten years.  

Smoke only--Partagas D4 and E2, PLPC Cabs, CORO, CCE, Hoyo Du Prince, Monte Especial and Especial 2.  H Upmann Connie A.  Get a few 50 cabs of Punch Punch. Pay attention to what El Prez is saying.  If he is saying put them away, do it.  

Go to Cuba if you have the means. Buy a few boxes there to put up.  Would buy Exelencias, SLR Marquez (if you can find them) and Noellas Jars if I went down.  Buy some custom rolls.  Things you can get there which are a lot cheaper or virtually unobtainable outside of Cuba.  

Just my 2 cents.  Hope this helps some.  

You've learned a lot in 12 months. Bravo. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fuzz said:

No! I will not tell you what my favourites are, for fear that you will buy them all up, and leave nothing for me!!

What are you talking about? Your favourites can't be bought, I should know, I've been trying for years! :lmao:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, GavLew79 said:

You've learned a lot in 12 months. Bravo. ?

It's interesting you say this because it is so so true.  I've learned more on here in a year than the previous 15 years of cigar smoking combined.  It's pretty incredible what a wealth of info can be had on here if you seek it out.  I came here as someone who thought they knew quite a lot, but I was a newbie for sure.  Bravo to the community for this.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Frozen North said:

As a newb to this obsession of cigars, i'd like to ask. What would a couple of your favorite, and currently available boxes be to purchase and squirrel away for the next 10 years or so? 

May sound pretty blatant - but in the very first place, buy what you like. Ignore discontinued lists, ignore flipper's chart breakers before making your decision. If there is a stick that you like & that is going to be disc'ed, then of course you may go with those first. But apart from that always set your buying priority on your smoking preferences, nothing else! Even should you be in for "investment" - the likelihood that sticks which you like and identify as being good quality will also be liked by other B/SOTL down the road is pretty high.

But to also answer your question, one of my favourites, of which I set aside a decent amount in the past years has been and still is the LGC MdO4. That's by no means a recommendation, just a personal thing (and even not discontinued - yet...).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Frozen North said:

Thank you for all the suggestions. I guess I should have been a little more specific. These would be for investment purposes. What would be...say the top 5 to own for investment?

Investment only, I'd go with Habanos humidors and books...  EL's, jars, festival cigars.  Custom store branded Habanos like from Portmann will be sure thing down the road... 

• Like 1

Try what you can and go deep on what you love.  Go deep on things you love and see how they age along the way.  It's all about YOUR taste and what's satisfying to you.  Everyone else's experiences are just guidelines, albeit good guidelines on this page.  Nobody can tell you how much you enjoy something or will enjoy something, definitively.  

• Like 1

The steepest appreciation I have seen since I started smoking regularly in 2008 has been in the last 9 months for anything Cohiba - even regular production, but particularly Behike. It's just crazy. Other notable examples have been Bushidos (insta-flip for 2x MSRP) and La Escepcion Selectos Finos. I concur with the above statement of RE, LE, and special production in general. Then of course, anything that gets discontinued (just look at how HDM DD have skyrocketed). That isn't too hard to predict, given the current trends.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zeedubbya said:

It's interesting you say this because it is so so true.  I've learned more on here in a year than the previous 15 years of cigar smoking combined.  It's pretty incredible what a wealth of info can be had on here if you seek it out.  I came here as someone who thought they knew quite a lot, but I was a newbie for sure.  Bravo to the community for this.  

You should have asked me... I have known that you haven't known for a long time now... -LOL (Just kidding of course.)

Don't sell yourself short my friend.

Knowing what you like, and more importantly why... is IMHO, 9/10's the battle. -Piggy

now that's an interesting question I would say all my la Gloria cubana's (unfortunately its just one size now) bolivar PC's  cohiba lanceros and coronas especiales (if you can find them they are out there!!) anything montecristo, fonseca no 1 these cigars I just mentioned are amazing after 10 years to name just a few my goodness there are so many

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dave001 said:

fonseca no 1 these cigars I just mentioned are amazing after 10 years to name just a few my goodness there are so many

Since the OP is talking INVESTMENT that's a funny one… Fonseca No1, one of the cigars which price has increased least in the last 10 years… :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smallclub said:

Since the OP is talking INVESTMENT that's a funny one… Fonseca No1, one of the cigars which price has increased least in the last 10 years… :D

I don't see that one as an investment box right now either.  Good box to smoke, but no one's ever really chased or cherished Fonseca cigars.  Until like 6-7 years ago, they weren't very consistent cigars either.  The newer the box, they better they are...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frozen North said:

Thank you for all the suggestions. I guess I should have been a little more specific. These would be for investment purposes. What would be...say the top 5 to own for investment?

I would also like to add as a (Captain Obvious) side note you're going to want to invest in the best Humidor and Humidity system money can buy.  Your future clients are going to want to be assured what they're buying has been stored right for 10 years.  I have 4 very different 2008 Lusis in my Humidor right now.  Some came from a person I know has stored them right and they are incredible cigars and some came from another which I was unsure of and there's a huge huge difference between them.  I would pay 2 times the amount to the person I know stored them right.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, zeedubbya said:

I would also like to add as a (Captain Obvious) side note you're going to want to invest in the best Humidor and Humidity system money can buy.  Your future clients are going to want to be assured what they're buying has been stored right for 10 years.  I have 4 very different 2008 Lusis in my Humidor right now.  Some came from a person I know has stored them right and they are incredible cigars and some came from another which I was unsure of and there's a huge huge difference between them.  I would pay 2 times the amount to the person I know stored them right.  

Provenance makes for a premium price.  Like a car with one owner in garage vs one with six owners at car lot...  Both can be fine cars, but just about all of us would take the one owner if not knowing anything beyond that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The newer the box, they better they are...

Agreed. I've only smoked 2 or 3 from recent production and they were much better than what this cigar used to be. Still a bit too mild for my liking but not bland like those from the mid 2000's…