Cigars for Sadness and Gloominess

I would like to know what are the best cigars to smoke when I am sad and gloomy.

Conditions:

• Must be Medium to Full and Full strength cigars (some excellent Light to Medium and Medium strength cigars are acceptable as a change of pace).
  • Must be long enough to deal with sadness and gloominess (e.g. Partagás Lusitanias, Cohiba Lanceros).
  • Must be suitable for pairing with single malt whisky and cognac.

Personnel Selections:

• Cohiba Lanceros
  • Cohiba Siglo Ⅵ
  • H. Upmann Sir Winston
  • Hoyo de Monterrey Double Coronas
  • Montecristo No. 2
  • Partagás Lusitanias
  • Romeo y Julieta Churchills
  • Ramón Allones Gigantes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

I would like to know what are the best cigars to smoke when I am sad and gloomy.

Conditions:

• Must be Medium to Full and Full strength cigars.
  • Must be long enough to deal with sadness and gloominess (e.g. Partagás Lusitanias, Cohiba Lanceros).
  • Must be suitable for pairing with strong single malt whisky and cognac.

Personnel Selections (not completed yet):

• Cohiba Lanceros
  • Cohiba Siglo Ⅵ
  • H. Upmann Sir Winston
  • Montecristo No. 2
  • Partagás Lusitanias

I'm not sure if cigars are for sadness. I think you need alcohol for that????

Hello my fellow BOTL, tough times can and do fall on us all, I wish you the best. I know when I'm in the dumps a big/strong cigar, a stiff drink and some great tunes help. There is something about sitting down with a fantastic smoke that acts as a catalyst for introspective thought and I believe this can stimulate positive emotions. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never sat down with a great cigar and left feeling worst! Sounds to me everything on your list would serve that purpose, I would go with the Lusi or Winny if I was you. If you're looking for something big and strong that isn't on your list, try a Bolivar Corona Gigantes, while you still can! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jfeath74 said:

. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never sat down with a great cigar and left feeling worst! Sounds to me everything on your list would serve that purpose,

My thoughts exactly!! Any good CC and a good drink always put me in a better mood

57 minutes ago, Jeremy Festa said:

I can be a melancholy motherfunker.

If you are enjoying the mood you're in, i.e. wallowing in your infinite sadness, then I suggest going for something shorter, PC or Robusto, and pair it with gin. 

But if you are wanting to crawl out of your cave, I recommend champagne, and something long. 

Whisky and Cognac are for goal setting and scheming only. Never for reflection. 

And rum?  What is it the prescription for?  Rum is good.

- MG

1 hour ago, Dimmers said:

For me its a retreat from busy-ness of life rather than thoughts of despondency. Though the treatment may provide similar effect, as experience of smoking is almost meditative for me. With everything so in your face all the time, I savour the few hours every week or so to just sit on the deck either with a book or nothing at all, and just let the stick take me on a journey. So to answer the query, the more complex the stick, the more satisfactory the journey. You list some great examples.

Beautiful post mate. I enjoyed reading that, good perspective and insightful. Cheers! -P

In the past, I might've mentioned the Boli Gigantes for a nice long smoke. But now that's likely to worsen the condition !

Something that does brighten one's mood - a nice smoke with Cuban music playing in the background   :)  with a bit of good rum is even better.

18 minutes ago, PigFish said:

Beautiful post mate. I enjoyed reading that, good perspective and insightful. Cheers! -P

Cheers Ray! I was going to like your post, but have hit the limit for the day lol

Still need to sell the idea to my wife a little more.. ie she heads to yoga 2-3 times a week so I need to do my own meditation 2-3 a week! lol

24 minutes ago, Dimmers said:

Cheers Ray! I was going to like your post, but have hit the limit for the day lol

Still need to sell the idea to my wife a little more.. ie she heads to yoga 2-3 times a week so I need to do my own meditation 2-3 a week! lol

For me, what does not mix with a cigar is a damn cell phone! Okay, you can use the camera, but like you, I want to unplug...

While I love to smoke with my wife (while she drinks), smoking is kind of like a date... one with a very quiet woman!!! -LOL -Piggy

My favorite cigar when I am sad--ANY cigar I smoke with some silly bastards known as friends.

Lots of them here :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Easy.  Acid Purple Extraordinary Deluxe. ;)  At 6 x 60 it's big, it's nasty, and it will leave you oh so sad. :cigar:

Although the Jay-Z inspired 'Comador' I smoked once (on a dare by El Pres) left me pretty sad . . . sad about the $50 I spent on that dog turd. :P 

I would pair these with any sort of moonshine, although if you could get sterno that would be better.

As we are talking meditation and the like.... someone sent me this link last week.... apparently beer yoga is now a thing!

Dudes everywhere rejoice - http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/01/19/so-apparently-beer-yoga-is-a-big-thing-now/

• Like 2

For me, cigars tend to accentuate the mood I'm already in.

When I'm feeling great, a cigar makes it even better,

When feeling down or feel I'm in a pit, cigars don't tend to help lift my mood, in fact, make it worse..

I light up on the great days..

• Like 1

Sometimes a cigar helps me when I'm down - or have had a big day. I think the most important thing is to have silence. We are all so busy in our lives where so much technology invades every aspect of our day. It is always good and healthy to experience the traditional method of relaxation. I like to be by myself when I have troubles. It helps a lot. As for a cigar I would either opt for a Edmundo or a Epi No. 2.

I'm going to say go for something short like a ERDM Demi Tasse. Figuratively tie your blues to that. Burn it, then (hopefully) feeling better about things, treat yourself to something really lovely you've been saving.

I have this same conversation with my missus when I crack into a nice bottle of plonk I've been gifted. Says she "Why don't you save that for a special occasion?" Says me "Because special occasions are already special and I've just instantly made this non-special occasion special!" Which goes some way to explaining my inability to create a meaningful wine cellar.

If you want to consolidate your blues look no further than Gin. Said no one ever "I was feeling maudlin and you know what? Those 12 gin and tonics have got me feeling so much better." At which point, what you're smoking is a secondary consideration.

The company of a good friend who's able to make you laugh despite yourself is the best antidote to the blues IMHO. If unavailable for whatever reason, a BRC paired with Laphroigh can also tether the black dog a while.

Best wishes
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1