"Off the beaten path" cigars

I've noticed that there are a few CC marcas that come up relatively often in the community that, based off of discussions/descriptions or just overall popularity, I would consider to be the black sheep of Habano SA's current portfolio. The following come to mind: Sancho Panza, Quai D'Orsay, and ERDM (I know there are others, but these immediately come to mind).

I understand there is a fair amount of history behind these brands being where they are today (e.g. only 1 or 2 vitolas offered) which I'm sure is mostly due to market performance/demand and the fact they are not global brands to begin with. That being said, it appears they still have a small but loyal following on some level, at least in this community.

So, my question is this - if you're a big fan of one of these brands, what is the "it" factor that keeps you coming back for more?  :love:

• Like 1

These are all marcas that don't come with a big "bang" or "punch", they are not immediately capturing attention. They are just not posing, are not "impressing", were never meant to be (perhaps with the big exception of ERDM, which once was THE premier "It"-brand, prior to the revolution a true luxury marca). But with age, all of them develop a very fine character, a subtility and, what I would call, "class" (I'd add Rafael Gonzales here). This simply isn't what today's smokers (majority of) are looking for, and those brand's demise is not in any way related to quality. Those blends (and formats) they once were famed for are simply gone out of fashion. I am keeping all of those, including some of the discontinued vitolas. After a memorable "99-point" SP Beli (yes, you could have that), I was and still am a loyal follower of the marca, though there are just a wimpy two formats left. Similar is holding for the others, though I never was a big fan of the Choix, which had always been my least loved ERDM. It's a real shame what HSA did to that marca.

• Like 2

These names you mention are wonderful but year to year, stick to stick, anything can happen. Great, or bleh. Especially at this level. Add a couple of years after you get a fiver, and they change again.

Whether it's a Sancho Panza.  QdO, a Rafael Gonzales or a ERDM (love love!), there are LOTS of each from the past, so we do not have to just rely on today.

Enjoy, brother!

CB

• Like 2

I really like Sancho Panza.  As others have said the woody salty (aka driftwood) profile in SP is something I really like.  As dumb as it sounds I think there's a possibility that the band has kept people away from SP and RG.  Try them if you haven't--they are truly great cigars.  The last two boxes of Non Plus I've smoked from have been consistently awesome.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CaptainQuintero said:

There was an excellent article about this in one of the UK cigar scene issues, I can't remember which issue though it was from the first year

Issue 11 - November 2015. A wonderful read entitled, "Gone but not forgotten" by one Greg Michael. ;) :clap:

• Like 2

LGC is my favorite "off brand".  All of the MdO series cigars are just brilliant with an above average construction level and a complexity & delicacy normally reserved for special cigars or particular boxes.  The Taino's are treat too for an opener Churchill.  Can't get enough MdO 1 & 2!!!  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sean3 said:

Rafael Gonzales was quite a surprise to me, really enjoyed a petit corona by that marca.  As a general rule...you can never have too many options.

Add me to list of Rafael Gonzalez lovers!  I mainly smoke the PC, but the discontinued Corona Extra is also very nice.  

"Off the beaten path cigars."

Tabacuba has been going off the path further than you are to stamp them out! The days of being able to suggest an obscure and quality cigar from Cuba is pretty much long gone.

The RGPC is no longer obscure, it is one of the few choices of PCs (marevas). The RG Petit Lonsdale or the Tres Petit Lonsdale, those were obscure!

-Piggy

• Like 2

Just remembered another thing , happened with LGC a while back. Community spoke of the company closing, along with Trinidad and SCDH. Oh my tradgedy is upon us! Get your LGC No 2's while you can!

Then, what would that be? 2013's? 

4 hours ago, MahDooRow said:

Add me to list of Rafael Gonzalez lovers!  I mainly smoke the PC, but the discontinued Corona Extra is also very nice.  

+1.

RG wasn't on my radar till El Pres recommended giving the Perlas a try a few years back. It's now on permanent rotation with Partagas Shorts as my 'quick' coffee companion.

• Like 1

the fact that those brands you mentioned ERDM, QdO and one I will mention one of my favorites Gloria cubana they just age so well after 10 years these cigars are such a special treat, specially for me the glorias cause of the really small RG of the medaille d'or no 3 love that cigar to death and sadly cannot find anymore

• Like 3

or your left nut was not hanging at the correct level of magnetic reasonance to your philtrum but never hate that particular cigar you heathen!

Exceptions happen when an influential person like Rob for example posts about an out of body experience he had tasting dragon semen and unicorn diarhea in a new batch of ERDM CS

Haaaaaa!!! Love it! What if one of my nuts hangs lower than the other? :D

You have just described the flavor profile of my white whale cigar!!!!!
  • Like 1