Do Habanos go bad with time??

Like many a newbie, I may have gone a bit overboard with my purchases.  Let's just say that I probably have enough cigars to last me a decade...

Now I'm getting worried that my collection may expire before I get a chance to enjoy them....

Is there any truth to my concerns?  If so, how do I identify the cigars that aren't built for the long haul?

Thanks, Mwaller

9 minutes ago, Texwrangler said:

Keep an eye out for 'aged' stock in the 24:24....you'll see just how well (and increase in value) age stock is sought after.

Hah!  So you're telling me I was wise to max out my cards on current production CC's...! ?

38 minutes ago, mwaller said:

Like many a newbie, I may have gone a bit overboard with my purchases.  Let's just say that I probably have enough cigars to last me a decade...

Now I'm getting worried that my collection may expire before I get a chance to enjoy them....

Is there any truth to my concerns?  If so, how do I identify the cigars that aren't built for the long haul?

Thanks, Mwaller

Chances are YOU gonna expire before your cigars.

• Like 1

I appreciate all the input.  I should clarify that the primary cause for my concern was a series of posts that seemed to agree that the SLR Pacificos had taken a turn for the worse in the last year.  That surprised me, since the cigars were relatively high end, and we're not even ten years old.  I don't own any if these cigars, so I have no experience first hand. Perhaps that is a rare exception?

Thanks, Mwaller

11 minutes ago, mwaller said:

I appreciate all the input.  I should clarify that the primary cause for my concern was a series of posts that seemed to agree that the SLR Pacificos had taken a turn for the worse in the last year.  That surprised me, since the cigars were relatively high end, and we're not even ten years old.  I don't own any if these cigars, so I have no experience first hand. Perhaps that is a rare exception?

Thanks, Mwaller

The Pacificos might be hitting a slump, perhaps a vacuum period of some sort, although 6-7 years is quite early for that to occur. These might spring back stronger than ever in 2-3 years. Or it may take longer. 

Basically, cigars generally don't "expire" although some milder cigars can after 20+ years. Instead, they tend to go through phases. I've seen bad cigars turn great and great cigars get worse, then better. Some cigars that people  initially wrote off from 06-09 are taking off right now, like the Trini Ingenios and Monte Robustos LEs. 

• Like 2

Cigars CAN expire sort of.  The term "past prime" is one you'll see tossed around some.  This is a cigar people believe has sat around too long.  It happens.  Even with perfect storage you may find some of your collection is not nearly as good in 20 years as it was in 5.

This is a very subjective thing.  It's all about personal preference.  Smoke a couple from a box after 30 days and see what you think.  Take notes if that floats your boat.  Smoke a couple more at 6 months or a year.  Try a couple every year and when they're pleasing to you smoke them.  If you take first 6-7 puffs and go wow--go ahead and smoke them.  Regardless of age.  

My personal preference is around 3-5 years of age, but it varies on the cigar.  I really really like Partagas D4s.  In my opinion they are great from 6 months to 2 years of age.  They turn phenomenal with 3-6 years and post 6 years I am think they start to decline.  Again, to my tastes.  I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who love 10 plus year old D4s.  I just think they lose a certain edge I really like in them.  PLPC is different.  With 6 months I think they're a bit rough--still enjoyable just a bit rough.  Once they get 5 years plus on them they become like a salted carmel candy bar.  Soooo good, so worth the wait.  Hard to beat an aged PLPC to me.  Look around here--you'll find many people who will tell you what's smoking good now and what's not.  This place is a fantastic resource.  A lot of experience here.  

If you are collecting them you will never regret spending $ on cigars to age.  There's 1,000 people on here who wish they'd bought 500 boxes of whatever whatever in 1995 or 2004 or 2006, or 2010.  Your return on investment will be good I am sure.  If you bought them to smoke try them at certain intervals and when they're smoking good smoke some.  Welcome to this exciting world!  

• Like 3

If you are concerned with your stock aging past your preferred profile, many people have said that vacuum sealing your boxes will slow the aging process by removing oxygen. I've never tried it myself, so I can't attest to anything personally, but it might be something to research.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mwaller said:

Thanks, Mwaller

Pacificos are smoking just fine right now..... :)

34 minutes ago, Bartolomeo said:

Pacificos are smoking just fine right now..... :)

I would agree with Bart on this one.  I can't say I had one fresh, but the few I've had here in the last year have been very enjoyable.  I will dig one out tomorrow and report back.  

47 minutes ago, Notsocleaver said:

If you are concerned with your stock aging past your preferred profile, many people have said that vacuum sealing your boxes will slow the aging process by removing oxygen. I've never tried it myself, so I can't attest to anything personally, but it might be something to research.

You don't even need to vacuum seal, just ziplock, or better, saran wrap to slow down the air exchange.   

You're a lucky dog with that much overstock.  Figure out what you want to lay down for the long haul and segregate it, plastic wrap each box, and put those puppies in their own tupperdore.  You will be so glad to have those boxes in 5-10 years.  

I agree with Zeedubya that 5 years helps just about any stick.  Some blossom sooner, some (PL) later, but having the luxury to lay a box down for extended rest is a blessing.

Some are good right away,some are not,and some are just never good,anywhere along the aging profile 

But as an unwritten rule I think most good cigars age well ( under reasonably good conditions )

I have had my share of just bad cigars ,but it's habanos,and it's still a bit of a crap shoot,you pay your money you take your chance  :D

learn to identity the marquas that age well, Punch springs to mind 

just remember it is what it is :ok:

• Like 1

You will find a date on the bottom of each box, so you will know they are fresh and tasty.

Usually you can smoke them a few weeks past this date......................:teacher:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frozen North said:

We're going to need to see a picture of your collection?

Ok, so here is the list of boxes.  These are all stored in 5 equal-sized 'tupperware-dors."  Each tupperware has a few planks of Spanish Cedar and 62% Boveda packs.  

There there some boxes that need to be "disposed of" sooner, rather than later?

Thanks,

mwaller

Bolivar:

-          Libertador LCDH

-          Super Coronas EL

-          Petit Coronas

-          Coronas Junior

-          Royal Coronas

-          Belicosos Finos

Cuaba:

-          Exclusivos

Cohiba:

Siglo VI

Robusto

Robusto

Siglo II

Maduro 5 Secretos

El Rey Del Mundo:

-          Choix Supreme

Hoyo de Monterrey:

Epicure Especial

Grand Epicure

Epicure No. 1

H. Upmann:

Connoisseur No. 1

Juan Lopez:

-          Selection No. 2

La Gloria Cubana:

Medaille D’Oro No. 4

Montecristo:

-          Open Regatta

-          Edmundo

-          Petit No. 2

-          No. 4

Partagas:

-          Serie D No. 4

-          Shorts

-          Serie P No. 2

-          Maduro No. 1

Por Larranaga:

-          Petit Coronas

-          Monte Carlos

Punch:

Punch Punch

Quai D’Orsay:

Coronas

Ramon Allones:

-          Specially Selected

-          Small Club Corona

-          Club Allones EL

-          Superiores LCDH

Raphael Gonzales

-          Perlas

Romeo y Julieta:

-          Short Churchills

Saint Luis Rey:

-          Regios

Sancho Panza:

-          Non Plus

Trinidad:

-          Coloniales

-          Reyes

Vegas Robaina:

Unicos

Famosos

• Like 2

Dates are for single people, speculators and collectors. I am a smoker!

Tastes and cigars vary. People are individuals and so are cigars. One guys 'past its prime' analysis is the next guys, 'just hit its peak.' Just read some comments from the thread above.

Smoke the best ones first. Always smoke good cigars, what are you waiting for?

The cigar you smoke and assess as lousy was made lousy! That is my assumption. While most disagree with me, I am a minority here, but a blanket assumption of cigar trending is contrary to my beliefs in individualism and then therefore a farce!!! Yet by smoking from a 'good group,' I too, look for the trend! There is evedence on both sides and therefore beliefs on both sides. A cigar is smoked only once, and therefore no one can prove anything!

If you poll enough smokers, there is evidence for every belief in the cigar world. Smoke your cigars, log your experiences and take a side. There are many!

Can cigars have runs? Sure, random events can certainly appear to trend. If you smoke one bad, one good, one bad, does this mean that the whole box will trend the same and their tastes change and blow like weeds in the wind? I think not, but believe what you wish.

You need only smoke one very old wonderful tasting cigar to believe that their shelf life can be unlimited. You smoke a few that are dead and you can conclude the opposite!

Luckily for you the collector world has made a secondary market based on the data code. That means just about every cigar that is old has someone willing to pay more than it cost you. As long as that trend remains intact, your purchases will never be worth less than you paid. As long as you can smoke them yourself, in good health and enjoy them, you will not regret buying them! Whether you smoke them or sell them, I don't think that you will ever regret an inventory of Cuban cigars. Alas, that is yet another belief of mine...

Best of luck on your journey... -the Pig 

• Like 3

I have boxes pre 1995 and about 80% of my stock is over 10 years old, far as I can tell NOPE, yes they lose the "punch" but for me that's the idea and they become so smooth and delicious

• Like 1

I dunno. That looks like a list that needs extensive testing with experienced members here with 1000-3000 posts plus. Set up a night with great music, food and booze and we'll see what we can do to help.

Least we can do so those cigars don't all go, you know, skunky on ya.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, canadianbeaver said:

I dunno. That looks like a list that needs extensive testing with experienced members here with 1000-3000 posts plus. Set up a night with great music, food and booze and we'll see what we can do to help.

Least we can do so those cigars don't all go, you know, skunky on ya.

I figured I would get a few such offers :-)

• Like 1