I had my first Mag 56 tonight. 

YUM. All dark black Coffee and Slightly burnt toast. Very Rich.

Unfortunately, I dont like the size, at all. Smoking a cigar of that girth is just not enjoyable for me, I could also hear that wet sucking sound coming from my wallet the entire time. 

So, my question is. What tastes like this, but is maybe half the size and half the price?

• Like 1

I haven't tried the Mag56, but I assume the blend would be similar to the Mag46.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be sticking my neck out here but I have been loving the mag 56 and have loaded up despite the price and the size. Not sure what size you are looking for but the other stick that I have been enjoying recently that keeps reminding me of the mag 56 are Juan Lopez No2.

• Like 3

I haven't had a regular production cigar like the magnum 56. The profile to me is very similar to other LEs, which won't be helpful if you are looking for a cheaper alternative! I think the 56 is definitely worth buying a box or two, even with the high price and silly ring gauge. Looking at the prices of the 2016 LEs it doesn't seem as though future LE prices will be going down or even staying the same. It's hard to imagine but in 10 years the magnum 56 could look cheap (and possibly thin) in comparison to what will be produced. 

3 hours ago, TheMonk said:

It's not, at all. Even though you can taste similarities, they're very different.

Thanks. I enjoy the Mag46, I guess I should try the 56 too, but the girth of these cigars has kept me away.  

• Like 3

Thanks. I enjoy the Mag46, I guess I should try the 56 too, but the girth of these cigars has kept me away.  

I completely understand, I mostly try to steer clear of cigars above 52, but I do recommend you make an exception for the Mag56, it is truly a fantastic smoke... I wish the same blend was available in a skinny vitola.
  • Like 2

don't care how good it smokes, the size is ridiculous and the price even more! and you can always find something as good or better that's not gonna break your jaw!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

I haven't tried the Mag56, but I assume the blend would be similar to the Mag46.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, TheMonk said:

It's not, at all. Even though you can taste similarities, they're very different.

I agree with @TheMonk here, far more differences than similarities. 

42 minutes ago, godpheonix said:

don't care how good it smokes, the size is ridiculous and the price even more! and you can always find something as good or better that's not gonna break your jaw!

My thought and hope exactly. I haven't tried any JLS2s as suggested above, I will need to grab a few to sample. I haven't smoked a D4 in quite a while, but the 56s have a much different profile to my taste. (from what I remember of the D4, I've never been enamored)

45 minutes ago, godpheonix said:

I must say, that is pretty much reflecting my feelings about it as well. Bought and smoked exactly one single stick, just for the academic exercise of it (same holding for the Cohiba super robust...). The format is just too uncomfortable to be enjoyable for me, and were it tasting like pure ambrosia. Draw volume is unpleasant, and too much work needed to maintain an even burn (granted, might improve with time). Tastewise it would be unfair to judge it based on a single stick smoked and at such an early stage, so I am not qualified for a decent assessment (the one smoked was solid-good, by far not great). But for the same price, I know where I'd rather drop my coin in the Upmann range.

• Like 2

I too have smoked a lone Mag 56 for academic purposes and the sheer size (and price point) dictates it will be a long time before another--if I ever smoke another that's not gifted to me. It also didn't have perfect construction and burning, which is even worse with a cigar of it's size, and although it wasn't a complete disaster it was a bit annoying.

I will say it definitely didn't lack for flavor. It's clear there's a lot of ligero in it. It didn't scream Upmann to me, however, and it wasn't very complex. Just kind of a straight black coffee and heavy toasted tobacco. 

As for an alternative, I might suggest recent production JLS1 or JLS2. Very much a strong similar black coffee character with plenty of strength. 

• Like 2

NSX, I agree with most of your assesment, pretty two dimensional, but I enjoyed both dimensions. (Black Coffee and Burnt Toast) I did need to touch mine up a couple times, but no construction issues that took away from the experience. The draw was fine, but it seemed like I had to "fill up" the cigar with smoke before I could get a good full draw though. 

I will definitely need to try out the JLS2. Thanks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Unfortunately have not found a suitable alternative. Smoked two boxes, sitting on two boxes, two boxes in transit. 

Worth trying a couple to see if they are up your alley. Clearly not everyone enjoys them as much as others. 

Haha, That's "Going Deep" I do enjoy the flavors quite a bit, just not the delivery method.  

• 5 weeks later...

I know I'm late to the game on this, but I tried my first Mag 56 last night -- TOS Dec 2015 -- from our host.  Absolutely fantastic.  One of the best young cigars I've had the last few years

I could not get myself to ignore the size -- which is undoubtedly, ridiculous -- and that did decrease some of the enjoyment for me.  It's a huge sucker. 

Flavors abound in this smoke, and yet, it remained smooth.  I cannot remember a young cigar over the last 4-5 years that was as flavorful, but without harshness, that mongrel, or clear signs of being too young a cigar.  

Wish I bought more, and likely will. Though, I still don't see myself smoking them too often considering the size.  If this came in a double corona or lonsdale size, I'd maybe crack into my retirement savings to go deep on it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hjmclain22 said:

Must say I'm surprised by the comparisons to the JL2.  I need to check in on my JLs apparently.  

Ha - Agreed! Just ordered from our host's 24:24 tonight for that very reason... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

I couldn't stand them. My suggested alternative would be any Guantanamera you can find.

Just proves that two handsome well educated men with a dapper sense of style and great taste in automobiles can disagree.  If I could get a mastercase, I would.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Just proves that two handsome well educated men with a dapper sense of style and great taste in automobiles and disagree.  If I could get a mastercase, I would.

But Harvey, we do agree! :lol:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I need to start by thanking @boilers183 for the opportunity to score a Juan Lopez sampler through trade before I bought boxes. He sent over 5 each of the No. 1 and No. 2 I have smoked 4 of the No. 1 and 3 of the No. 2 so far. I much prefer the size of the 1 and fortunately I have preferred the flavor as well. I have found them to be more refined than the 2s.

Great recommendation for all the guys who recommended Juan Lopez. The flavors are almost a dead match to the 56, surprisingly similar actually. The Upmanns are a mile ahead of the JLs in the class/refinement area, but the underlying black coffee is in your face. After only 2 of the No 1s I picked up a box through 24:24. It will probably take them 7-10 years to reach the same smoothness/refinement as the 56s but minus the rough edges and bittering in final 3rd they are damn close. 

I am calling it here. Juan Lopez No 1s are a fantastic alternative for the Mag 56 and at a fair price and size!

• Like 3