Taste Difference vs Humidity

Is there taste difference more than %20?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Night and day for me, an over humidified cigar makes me wish I'd not lit it up, guaranteed to burn hot and dirty in the last 3rd. When my humidity and temperatures are kept constant and cigars are acclimatised its rare that I have a bad smoking experience.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I smoked 6 years old Montecristo Open Junior at %69 rh and taste was perfect. I smoked Hoyo Epi 2 at %67 rh with minor burn issues and it was like dream :) Just I am trying to understand is there really taste difference between low 60s to high 60s or change is more about burn. 

5 minutes ago, agulerer said:

I smoked 6 years old Montecristo Open Junior at %69 rh and taste was perfect. I smoked Hoyo Epi 2 at %67 rh with minor burn issues and it was like dream :) Just I am trying to understand is there really taste difference between low 60s to high 60s or change is more about burn. 

Some like cookies to be chewy, some like them to be crispy. One will have to try both cookies to discover the difference. 

You mentioned two cigars you smoked and enjoyed. Now take two more of those same cigars, 2 monte open junior, 2 epi2 and keep one of each at 70% and the other two at 60%. Let them rest for 30 days to acclimate. Then smoke the 60% and 70% back to back. See how it goes. If you choose to take on the risk/reward of that adventure, then post a thread about it.

I would be curious to read about the results and which one you preferred (or if there was any difference you could perceive) after testing it out. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, agulerer said:

By your recent posts you seem to be doubting the advice of the more experienced CC smokers here that CC's taste better and burn better when stored in the low 60's and even high 50's rH.  In my opinion, which is based on years of experience and trial and error storing CC's at mid 60's and low 60's, there is definitely a noticeable difference in taste and burn (for the better) with CC's stored at 60 rH rather than 65rH with the temp in my humidor and ambient temp at around 71 degrees F.  You asked me in an earlier post to describe the difference in taste at 60 rH as opposed to 65rH, and all I can tell you is the cigars are smoother and have that classic Cuban creamy flavor.  I've had many more of those "Oh my God!" smokes with CC's stored at 60 than I ever had with ones stored at 65rH. 

If you make a change in your humidor, depending on size and number of boxes therein, keep in mind it may take several weeks for the cigars in there to acclimate and reach the lower humidity level.  Just because your hygrometer reads the new, lower level doesn't mean the individual sticks in the boxes have reached that level.  Give it plenty of time to reach equilibrium before you pass judgment on the taste/burn. 

In my opinion, if you store CC's at anything over 65rH (at 70 degrees F), you are ruining your CC's and might as well just smoke non Cuban cigars.  But that's just me. 

Note of importance to add:  I smoke exclusively inside my man cave at 71 degrees F and 55% rH year round.  I do not smoke outside unless I'm forced to.  When you smoke outside, the high humidity where I live and the wind totally ruin a good cigar for me.  If I have to smoke outside, I usually just choose to not smoke. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, stogieluver said:

By your recent posts you seem to be doubting the advice of the more experienced CC smokers here that CC's taste better and burn better when stored in the low 60's and even high 50's rH.  In my opinion, which is based on years of experience and trial and error storing CC's at mid 60's and low 60's, there is definitely a noticeable difference in taste and burn (for the better) with CC's stored at 60 rH rather than 65rH with the temp in my humidor and ambient temp at around 71 degrees F.  You asked me in an earlier post to describe the difference in taste at 60 rH as opposed to 65rH, and all I can tell you is the cigars are smoother and have that classic Cuban creamy flavor.  I've had many more of those "Oh my God!" smokes with CC's stored at 60 than I ever had with ones stored at 65rH. 

If you make a change in your humidor, depending on size and number of boxes therein, keep in mind it may take several weeks for the cigars in there to acclimate and reach the lower humidity level.  Just because your hygrometer reads the new, lower level doesn't mean the individual sticks in the boxes have reached that level.  Give it plenty of time to reach equilibrium before you pass judgment on the taste/burn. 

In my opinion, if you store CC's at anything over 65rH (at 70 degrees F), you are ruining your CC's and might as well just smoke non Cuban cigars.  But that's just me. 

Note of importance to add:  I smoke exclusively inside my man cave at 71 degrees F and 55% rH year round.  I do not smoke outside unless I'm forced to.  When you smoke outside, the high humidity where I live and the wind totally ruin a good cigar for me.  If I have to smoke outside, I usually just choose to not smoke. 

+1000000000

Since relative humidity is relative to temperature, but cigar moisture (a more absolute quantity) is what most of us are interested in, it makes more sense to talk about pairs of humidity and temperature rather than a single humidity number.  For example, 65F and 65% relative humidity is a common pair.  My coolidor is closer to ~60% and 75F at the moment.  When it was ~64% and ~75F I had the impression that some cigars were over-humidified.

2 hours ago, stogieluver said:

You hit the nail on the head in regards to acclimation and changing the rH in one's humidor!  I have recently adjusted the rH in my humidor down from 67+% to @62%, and still have burn issues with cigars frequently going out.  Well said Mr. stogieluver.  Cheers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sean3 said:

You hit the nail on the head in regards to acclimation and changing the rH in one's humidor!  I have recently adjusted the rH in my humidor down from 67+% to @62%, and still have burn issues with cigars frequently going out.  Well said Mr. stogieluver.  Cheers.

Cigars acclimate about 1% a week. So in your case, going from 67 to 62, you will need to rest them for a minimum of 5 weeks. That's generally what I do, and have had good results.

I've been storing in a cabinet humidor at 65% and moving cigars to a desk top kept as close to 60%RH as possible. The summer of '16 in the NE USA was terribly hot and humid. I had trouble keeping things dry enough but that also is about old air conditioners. If one wants to get truly OCD about moisture and Havana cigars look around for correct moisture levels for each marca. 

6 minutes ago, joeypots said:

I've been storing in a cabinet humidor at 65% and moving cigars to a desk top kept as close to 60%RH as possible. The summer of '16 in the NE USA was terribly hot and humid. I had trouble keeping things dry enough but that also is about old air conditioners. If one wants to get truly OCD about moisture and Havana cigars look around for correct moisture levels for each marca. 

What is OCD?

4 hours ago, jcorona said:

Cigars acclimate about 1% a week.

Where does this figure come from? You need to use probes stuck in the heart of several cigar to determine the acclimation time at this level of precision. And I suppose the figure is meaningless if the type of storage, the packaging, the quantity of cigars is not specified.

18 hours ago, agulerer said:

You know mate on a personal note, I am beginning to look at the constant grilling, and subsequent denial and argument as a bit neurotic. Now post what you want, I can simply overlook what you write but as a subtle hint, you might just try smoking your own cigars and making these decisions for yourself. This is just a hint...

If you add to the poll, "Is this constant query about rH, and the subsequent denial of the information graciously given making me look neurotic?" you will get a definitive answer, believe me!

Now look, if you want help, I can send you a PO Box address. Box up all your cigars and send them to me! I have the ability to store cigars at different rH and temperature levels. If you send me enough cigars, I will purpose build a custom humidor just for this test. I will build and maintain it at my cost. Over the years my friends and I will be happy to smoke the cigars you give me and give you a full report.

What do you say, would that help you out at all?

Best of luck on your continued surveying.

-the Pig

• Like 4

16 hours ago, stogieluver said:

I can just picture Piggy sitting back reading this thread and just shaking his head and either being totally amused :rotfl: or totally horrified :coverears:   at the posts. 

... both!

Being a foregone conclusion is a bitch!

Enjoy the thread mates, I am going to spend the next 30 minutes in the "Iron Maiden" to get a little relief! -Piggy

A month ago I smoked a SLR A from my buddy's humidor and he doesn't really check the humidity that often so I guess it's been sitting around 58% @ 70F constantly.  I usually store my at 67% @ 70F so when I grabbed that SLR A and squeezed it and I was like it is dry.  I was like oh well it probably won't taste good or would have burn issue.  Wrong...!

After I lit it up the I was like.... dude.... that is an awesome tasty cigar!!!  We box split that SLR A and I don't remember mine tasted that good!!  Now I am lowering both of my coolidors down to 60% 70F!!!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Smoking Ninja said:

A month ago I smoked a SLR A from my buddy's humidor and he doesn't really check the humidity that often so I guess it's been sitting around 58% @ 70F constantly.  I usually store my at 67% @ 70F so when I grabbed that SLR A and squeezed it and I was like it is dry.  I was like oh well it probably won't taste good or would have burn issue.  Wrong...!

After I lit it up the I was like.... dude.... that is an awesome tasty cigar!!!  We box split that SLR A and I don't remember mine tasted that good!!  Now I am lowering both of my coolidors down to 60% 70F!!!

Ding, ding, ding... we have another winner!

Moving the membership to 60/70 one member at a time!!! -LOL

-the Pig

• Like 2

Many friends have now gone to "dry boxing" before smoking, getting the humidity of the sticks down below 65%.  I have adopted this for myself and not been disappointed, especially for those which are fresh and moist.  The burn issues seem to go away versus those which have not been "dry boxed".  Still long term storage is maintained in my humidors at 69%.  And if it has been in the humidor for a few years then it smokes just fine right from the humidor.  Again, just my opinion based on my experience.  Cheers!

17 hours ago, stogieluver said:

I can just picture Piggy sitting back reading this thread and just shaking his head and either being totally amused :rotfl: or totally horrified :coverears:   at the posts. 

Why only Piggy  ??????  I'm totally amused . !!!!!!!!   :rolleyes: :wacko:

Guy

• Like 1