Cohiba Medio Siglo

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2016 at 0:30 PM, MC4 said:

I was really looking forward to trying the new release from Cohiba, but now that they are out at 425Euro a box, am thinking twice.

Has anybody tried these yet?  Worth the price?

425Euro is still better that $1626/box of 25 here in Toronto lol. even after the conversion.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2016 at 11:49 AM, Lotusguy said:

Those were something special indeed... Later releases never lived up to the hype for me. I can only shake my head when I see 2015s go for $600+ now.

I highly doubt that these Medio Siglos will be in the same league, though. :(

This made my heart hurt . . . seriously.  

The OR 52's were so damn good.  Amazing cigars in every respect.  Absolutely worth the price at the time.  God, if I only knew what I know now I'd have one large humidor stocked with them.  SIGH, if only . . .

Since I posted this, I pulled the trigger and ordered a box.

Smoked a couple so far and share a few with friends.  We all agree that it's a very tasty cigar.  No comparison the BHK52 of course.

The complain was that it's too short and too expensive for the small cigar it is.  Taste, burn, constructions, pretty good.

I am glad I ordered a box, but will I get a second box after I finish this, no.

21 minutes ago, MC4 said:

Since I posted this, I pulled the trigger and ordered a box.

Smoked a couple so far and share a few with friends.  We all agree that it's a very tasty cigar.  No comparison the BHK52 of course.

The complain was that it's too short and too expensive for the small cigar it is.  Taste, burn, constructions, pretty good.

I am glad I ordered a box, but will I get a second box after I finish this, no.

Mine are in for a long sleep. Might break one out at the one year mark but not before

Bought first boxes BHK 52's in Barcelona Spring 2011.  Such a outstanding smoke at the time.

Bought a box of 52's either late 2014 or early 2015 can't remember when.  What I do remember

was how let down I felt after I smoked the first stoogie from the box.  I thought It was just a fluke (not real)

so I waited a month or two then firied up my second one from the 2014 / 2015 box.  Worse than the first one.

Such bitter disapointment / despair is all I really remember.  Such a shame I thought to have come

so far with this great cigar then "BAM" a far cry from the boxes bought In Spain 2011.

Can't blame the vendor who is A number 1.

This problem was across the board and I was not the only one who bought the new goods.

I swore that I would never buy these again.  I have smoked D4's, CoRo's, BRC's

RASS's, etc, etc,......that would kick the newer 52's right in the arise.

Fore warned is fore armed gents.

Ours can't be too far away (a month or so) as I was asked yesterday about pricing thoughts for this region. 

I asked their thoughts first.....

All I pointed out was that it needs to sit (priced) sensibly among the existing Cohiba pantheon of cigars. It must have some pricing scale commensurate to the existing lineup. 

Then it dawned upon me that it can't be done. 

We have discussed this elsewhere....many new premium releases since about 2013 have shown no regard to proportional product pricing placement. Jesus...how is that for alliteration !!!!! :spotlight:

HSA have priced them to the heavens. Everyone else falls into line. 

Now the question is will it end up being a stellar success or a D6 :rolleyes:

Initially it will be a huge success regardless of price point. There just isn't enough Cohiba in the world right now and it is shiny new.

It's future depends upon repeat buys if and when Cohiba stocks come back to somewhere near where they were 18 months ago. 

• 2 months later...

Fascinating this Cohiba 50 year initiative, including year 1966* in the SKU names. The Medio Siglo sell here in Ontario at a First Nations place for 850CDN but won't ship anywhere else.

Feel better about my commemorative Spain stuff. Also, if I am going to fall for a $800 Cohiba new trick, best to get it looked over and graded by Rob first.

*to clarify, 1966's selling for an absolute ton right now if you can find them

So, we have a 52 rg x 102 mm new release Cohiba. That Robusto above is 50 rg x 124 mm, the Siglo VI is 52 rg x 150 mm. My question is what exactly are Habanos S.A trying to achieve/market with the Cohiba Medio Siglo? Are they trying to emulate the H.Upmann Half Corona or Montecristo Media Corona (both 44rg x 90 mm) which are/can be both small 'powerhouses' or are they trying to make a Cohiba Monte Petit Edmundo (52 rg x 110mm)? I can't answer this, as I've not sampled the Cohiba Medio Siglo (I imagine at some point I will), but of these smaller cigars I quite like the H.Upmann Half Corona, but the Monte Media Corona can't compete for my loyalty like the Montecristo No.5 does. Similarly, I couldn't imagine reaching for a Cohiba Medio Siglo over a Siglo I.

Will it go the way of the Partagas Serie D No.6 (50 rg x 90 mm)? Now, let me 'go out on a limb' and state that I quite like the D6. Flavour-wise, it was different to the Partagas Shorts. But the pricing and packaging on the D6 gave it no hope over other Partagas options. I don't blame anyone choosing the much-popular Partagas Serie D No.4 (50 rg x 124mm) over a D6. However, in respect to @El Presidente's question above, while the Medio Siglo may still go the way of the D6, there has only been one (yes ONE!) discontinuation in the Cohiba brand ever, and that was the Corona in 1992, when the La Linea 1492 series came out in 1992 (i.e. Cohiba Siglo I,II,III,IV,V).

Tried one a few weeks back was terrible...certainly being fresh the culprit...I'll be in Havana next month that'll be the cheapest place to get them...not sure what the price is there...will probably try another single.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bartolomeo said:

Comparison pic

medio-CoRo-Sig 6

IMG_6649.JPG

Review I posted on FB the other day....AMO OCT 16 Medio Siglo, cigar was tasty w/ Sig 6 blend but way short, about the same amount of tobacco as the CoRo but about $40 cheaper, so the question you have to ask yourself is a shorter smoke w Sig 6 blend or a CoRo for a little more money...I am thinking CoRo

medio is €347

CoRo is €396

14 hours ago, canadianbeaver said:

Fascinating this Cohiba 50 year initiative, including year 1966* in the SKU names. The Medio Siglo sell here in Ontario at a First Nations place for 850CDN but won't ship anywhere else.

Feel better about my commemorative Spain stuff. Also, if I am going to fall for a $800 Cohiba new trick, best to get it looked over and graded by Rob first.

God bless the cigar diaspora in Canada.  Don't know why you live there,  but God bless. 

- MG 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2016 at 0:00 AM, canadianbeaver said:

luckily purchased a few boxes of the 1966 :)

Ok purchased the cohiba medio siglo , the smell is ok smells a little like cattle Im serious.  Mild to strong cigar, I think needs to rest a while before being able to really enjoy the smoke . was a little dissapointed to be honest  I suppose its ok money could be spent on better smoking cigars.