Customs letter info

Recently had a mate post some cigars from Canada to me here in Australia which customs caught then they send me a release /bill letter with an amount owing. I know this is normal when buying from shops /vendors etc but when it's just between 2 mates ?? Can anyone shed any light for me cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, the duty still applies, regardless of whether it is bought or sent by a friend as a gift. They can even ping you when you bring back cigars (bought and duty paid in Aus) you took overseas on vacation. Double dipping yes, but you can't prove they are the exact same ones you already paid duty on.

• Like 1

No point arguing with them either as that just encourages them!

Take it on the chin & quietly gloat about all the other boxes you got that they didn't catch!

Win the war & never mind the battle

Yer they have been quite aggressive the last couple of years. The little i have brought in i have had to pay duty. I just expect it these days and if it gets through its a win. Regardless wheather its a gift or not the ayssie gov loves to tax.

Yeh havnt responded as yet might give them a phone call for a brief chat and then either pay or hopefully have it waived . Yeh they've definitely been more aggressive I havnt been able to sneak much through of late all. Hahahahaha self help devices they were actually labeled as men's gift Hahahaha my mate thought he was funny

There is no point pleading with them.... There is no provision in the law for gifts etc... You will just waste 30 mins of your time.

I saw a bloke in front of me at he airport duty assessment area - he had to pay duty because he had 3 packs of cigarettes. He argued that it was for personal and immediate consumption - and they pretty much said "I hope you enjoy them... now will you be paying with Visa or MasterCard."

The only thing you can argue with them is the actual weight of the cigars to calculate the duty. Sometimes they weigh the entire package instead of the cigars, other times they underestimate the weight. If they've overcharged, call them and ask to have the cigars re-weighed. But if they have undercharged, cop it on the chin.

Also, unlike hand carrying them back into the country, there is no duty free allowance for any tobacco products arriving by post

Save your breath, anyone you will end up speaking to if you call is simply an operator in a call centre and probably not even in the same state as your package
Pay the man and enjoy your sticks

1 hour ago, polarbear said:

Also, unlike hand carrying them back into the country, there is no duty free allowance for any tobacco products arriving by post

Save your breath, anyone you will end up speaking to if you call is simply an operator in a call centre and probably not even in the same state as your package
Pay the man and enjoy your sticks

That's about it...

21 hours ago, puro said:

Recently had a mate post some cigars from Canada to me here in Australia which customs caught then they send me a release /bill letter with an amount owing. I know this is normal when buying from shops /vendors etc but when it's just between 2 mates ?? Can anyone shed any light for me cheers emoji1303.png

It's not going to make you feel better...but I seriously feel your pain and frustration!