Aged Cohiba Siglo I,II,III,IV,V,VI Reviews (2006)

JohnS

In 1963 Cohiba started out as a Fuma (a cigar rolled by a torcedor for his own use) that was offered to Fidel Castro. It immediately became Fidel’s favourite. In 1964, a small factory was set up to make these cigars. Production was later moved to the present El Laguito Factory. This original cigar was an unnamed Laguito No.1, and in 1967, two additional sizes were added....a Laguito No.2 and a Laguito No.3. The cigar brand remained unnamed until 1966, when it was officially named Cohiba. In 1969 the three cigars were given commercial names and the packaging and band designs finalised.

Three cigars were commercially released in 1984. The Classic range was introduced in 1989, incorporating the original three cigars. The Siglo range was developed in 1992 and became commercially available in early 1994. The Maduro range was released in 2007. The Behike range was released in 2010.

The tobacco is the best available from the premium Vuelta Abajo region. The Seco & Ligero filler leaf is given an exclusive third fermentation. The Classic & Behike range comprise medium to full strength cigars and the Siglo & Maduro range comprise medium strength cigars.

Source: Cuban Cigar Website/Cohiba

Cohiba, the premium global flagship brand, is well-known for being a good, reliable and more expensive than Habanos S.A's other brands. The Línea 1492, consisting of five cigars, the Siglo I, II, III, IV and V was launched in 1992 to commemorate the 500th Anniversary of Columbus' arrival in Cuba before one further size, the iconic Siglo VI, was added in 2002. These are medium-bodied in flavour. (Interestingly, the Línea 1492 came out in 1992 to replace the discontinued Davidoff Cuban cigar brand)

According to Habanos S.A., the leaves for Cohiba are the selection of the selection from the 5 finest Vegas de Primera in San Juan y Martínez and San Luis districts of the Vuelta Abajo zone.

It's this extra care for detail, both in the production of the tobacco and the finished cigar, that lends a certain mystique, perhaps, to Cohiba. The purpose of these reviews is to directly compare the similarities and differences in these aged Siglo cigars to provide a reference for our members.

I am indebted to the founder of Cuban Cigar Website, Trevor Leask, for providing these Siglo I-VI cigars for me to review. They are all from 2006, given to me a year ago, they sat in my humidor until the time came to directly compare them.

• Like 4

Thanks for the review work, John. It must have been tough going.

I'm a Cohiba *****. I never expected to become such an animal but as my precious Cohibas hid away in my humidor while I smoked cigars that I had not put aside as event smokes, the Cohibas got to be "OMG good". Live and learn. Also, years ago someone told me to grab the CLE '01 Lanceros. Those cigars were outstanding and confirmed my love of the marca. I've been working on getting a stash of Cohiba for the long sleep but it's a chore. They are expensive. My experience has been that the marca goes from OK to WOW at something after 5 years. I've wasted too many Cohibas by smoking them young so I wait as long as possible before I start to sample the box. I'm happier, for instance, smoking a young Punch Punch than I am smoking the same vintage Siglo IV. So the PP is in the rotation and the IV is an event cigar. By event I mean a time when I can pay full attention to the cigar.

I have come to the conclusion that I like the Cohibas better than most of the REs and Els I have had so for the next while I'm going to concentrate on acquiring them until I am satisfied with my stash or my wife notices the charges on my CC bill.

Again, thanks for the reviews. You've confirmed what I experienced with Cohiba.

• Like 2

In 1963 Cohiba started out as a Fuma (a cigar rolled by a torcedor for his own use) that was offered to Fidel Castro. It immediately became Fidel’s favourite. In 1964, a small factory was set up to make these cigars. Production was later moved to the present El Laguito Factory. This original cigar was an unnamed Laguito No.1, and in 1967, two addition sizes were added....a Laguito No.2 and a Laguito No.3. The cigar brand remained unnamed until 1966, when it was officially named Cohiba. In 1969 the three cigars were given commercial names and the packaging and band designs finalised.

Three cigars were commercially released in 1984. The Classic range was introduced in 1989, incorporating the original three cigars. The Siglo range was developed in 1992 and became commercially available in early 1994. The Maduro range was released in 2007. The Behike range was released in 2010.

The tobacco is the best available from the premium Vuelta Abajo region. The Seco & Ligero filler leaf is given an exclusive third fermentation. The Classic & Behike range comprise medium to full strength cigars and the Siglo & Maduro range comprise medium strength cigars.

Source: Cuban Cigar Website/Cohiba

Cohiba, the premium global flagship brand, is well-known for being a good, reliable and more expensive than Habanos S.A's other brands. The Línea 1492, consisting of five cigars, the Siglo I, II, III, IV and VI was launched in 1992 to commemorate the 500th Anniversary of Columbus' arrival in Cuba before one further size, the iconic Siglo VI, was added in 2002. These are medium-bodied in flavour. (Interestingly, the Línea 1492 came out in 1992 to replace the discontinued Davidoff Cuban cigar brand)

According to Habanos S.A., the leaves for Cohiba are the selection of the selection from the 5 finest Vegas de Primera in San Juan y Martínez and San Luis districts of the Vuelta Abajo zone.

It's this extra care for detail, both in the production of the tobacco and the finished cigar, that lends a certain mystique, perhaps, to Cohiba. The purpose of these reviews is to directly compare the similarities and differences in these aged Siglo cigars to provide a reference for our members.

I am indebted to the founder of Cuban Cigar Website, Trevor Leask, for providing these Siglo I-VI cigars for me to review. They are all from 2006, given to me a year ago, they sat in my humidor until the time came to directly compare them.

this is just wrong on so many levels - just look at your SigloVI record?

this is just wrong on so many levels - just look at your SigloVI record?

Leo, thank you for your criticism. Exactly what is wrong with what was posted? I have adjusted the line, "The Línea 1492, consisting of five cigars, the Siglo I, II, III, IV and VI was launched in 1992 to commemorate the 500th Anniversary of Columbus' arrival in Cuba before one further size, the iconic Siglo VI, was added in 2002." as I had put in "IV and VI" erroneously when it should be "IV and V".

My goal here was to provide a brief overview of the history of Cuba, which I've done quoting two sources, Cuban Cigar Website and Habanos S.A's website. Having discussed this history with Trevor and having read it for myself, I can attest that Adriano Martinez Rius has fortunately left us a wonderful testament of knowledge in regards to the post-revolution Habanos cigar industry. It's his information, I'd say, that has been sourced for the history of Cohiba on CCW.

• 3 weeks later...