Aged Cohiba Siglo III (2006)

JohnS

Cohiba Siglo III

Format: Corona Grande

Dimensions: 42 ring gauge x 155 mm

Date: Saturday 26th of March, 2016

Cold Draw: Barnyard with some honey and spice. The draw is good

Lit: 1:01 p.m.

Initial Draw: Cohiba grass/honey again but this time there's a little spice. A touch over mild-medium to begin with, the next few draws bring out some sweeter flavours. There are elements of cream and the smoke levels are outstanding. Another few draws and I'm thinking, "this is a class smoke in the making!"

post-23478-0-78696700-1460628925_thumb.j

First Third: At this early stage we have a beautiful sweet mild-medium cigar with elements of sweet cream, spice, Cohiba grass and coffee/tobacco. This is what you aim for when smoking a Cohiba Siglo, and I mean any Cohiba Siglo, young or aged! I'm pairing this with a black espresso coffee (my standard paired beverage), which compliments perfectly as this Siglo III provides the sweetness for my beverage, for I never take coffee with sugar! The end of the first third continues to be mild-medium.

post-23478-0-81662000-1460628972_thumb.j

Second Third: There's a slight change in flavour now as the coffee/tobacco is coming more to the fore. I had to re-light where the wrapper was cracked, it didn't affect how well the cigar was smoking, with smoke output and flavour continuing to be exceptional. In the middle of the second third white pepper is coming through, both in the draw and the nose. Towards the end of the second third the aftertaste is creamy, yet subtle on the palate. The body is mild-medium.

post-23478-0-82323400-1460629075_thumb.jpost-23478-0-01163800-1460629086_thumb.j

Final Third: The final third sees the intensity change to medium, which is normal. The band was on a bit tight and the wrapper tore slightly when I removed it, nevertheless, I was able to nub this delightful Corona Grande at the 95-minute mark.

post-23478-0-00362300-1460629173_thumb.jpost-23478-0-70660900-1460629182_thumb.jpost-23478-0-52863700-1460629192_thumb.j

• Like 4

Love this cigar. Glad you liked it too. Trevor is so generous, what an awesome guy. First he gives us one of the best cigar sites on the net and now he provides you with these fantastic smokes to contribute to another of the best cigar sites on the planet.

• Like 1

John, thanks for your great review. I know from some of your posts that you and I share an admiration for HDM Hoyo des Dieux. I've not had the Siglo III. Can you do a two sentence summary compare and contrast of these two Coronas Grandes? Thanks.

Mike

• Like 1

Great review.. Makes me want to keep aging my Siglo I & III's. I have some 2014's and I'm eager to leave them alone for the long haul.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice review, thanks!

Thank you kindly!

Love this cigar. Glad you liked it too. Trevor is so generous, what an awesome guy. First he gives us one of the best cigar sites on the net and now he provides you with these fantastic smokes to contribute to another of the best cigar sites on the planet.

Yes, I agree. Even more than this, it's awfully difficult to quantify the great value I get from our discussions when we catch up for a cigar!

John, thanks for your great review. I know from some of your posts that you and I share an admiration for HDM Hoyo des Dieux. I've not had the Siglo III. Can you do a two sentence summary compare and contrast of these two Coronas Grandes? Thanks.

Mike

Mmmm....Mike, the Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux is akin to the holy grail of our hobby, and even more so now that it's getting difficult to source at the present time. I smoked a few around Christmas, thanks to our dear friend Fuzz and the overtly mild, shortbread, light wood, vanilla creamy flavour I got from them I still remember keenly. In contrast, this aged Siglo III marries the creaminess with Cohiba grass/hay and honey and a little pleasant spice making it more complex than the des Dieux, but definitely not better! (Okay, an aged des Dieux and Siglo III are equally good!)