Your pièce de résistance recipe for Gumbies...that all members should give a crack over the break!

El Presidente

Many of us are dab hands in the kitchen....or think we are lol3.gif

We will generally have some time to cook things up over the Christmas break...hopefully with a small tipple and a cigar at hand...or nearby!

Can you let us know your "go to" home food/Recipe that just get's your juices flowing. Post them on this thread (and I will pin it to the food section upon completion).

For your efforts, go in the draw for a Diplomatico Bushido stick (10 to be drawn) between now and the 4th of January.

One recipe per member. Make it a flavoursome one. If possible....the less ingredients the better! Pair it with a drink of your choice ....and a cigar. spotlight.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quail Marsala I make this regularly. Any Gumby can do it. One big flat pan (A Paella Pan works great). 5 gloops of olive oil....pour bottle....gloop....gloop...gloop...gloop..gloop. 4 cloves o

Beer Can Chicken Every man and his dog will have their own recipe for this old chestnut. This is an easy one to do without a smoker and you can use any store bought rub or make up your own concoctio

pièce de résistance recipe for Gumbies WINNERS! Pulled the FOH cap out again to draw this one. 10 winners... All receive a Diplomatico Bushido. And they are: SCHUBB DRGUANO KAM BUSDRIVER HABANA

Oven Bake Curry.

A great recipe to have in your locker;

33ua2yo.png

1 Pack of Chicken Thighs (~6)

1 jar of curry paste

1 Can of Coconut Milk

Chicken Stock

Rice.

Marinade your chicken thighs in your curry paste.

Pre-heat your oven 200 degrees celcius.

Butter a tray for the oven, Pour in your coconut milk, re-fill the can with chicken stock, pour it in, re-fill it with rice, pour it in. stir it.

Brown off the chicken thighs. Nestle them in the tray. Bang it in the oven. 1 hour job done.

• Like 1

Dry-brined rosemary apple turkey with a bourbon molasses glaze. AKA, the "Gumbies be Damned! Turkey."

LONG recipe here, but this is a 100% fool-proof method for cooking a turkey if you follow the steps.

I've made this recipe twice recently. Once for Thanksgiving, and a week after because my fiancée *had* to have it again!

Ingredients (adjust, as needed, depending on the size of the bird):

• One 10-15 lb turkey (Frozen is fine, but you'll need a long time to thaw it out in the refrigerator).
  • 4-6 apples, quartered.
  • 8-10 sprigs of rosemary for the turkey, 2-3 more for initial buttering.
  • One stick of UNsalted butter, softened.
  • Salt (Preferably kosher)
  • Black pepper
  • Bourbon
  • Molasses (dark brown sugar will work in a pinch)
  • Sugar (I prefer unprocessed sugar for everything except baking).
  • Twine, for trussing the turkey (disregard if spatchcocking).

A few notes: we're not going to "properly" truss the turkey, just do what's enough to keep it from going all spread eagle! We're also going to be taking it out of the oven after 30/35 minutes and flipping it on its back.

3-5 days before cooking (ONLY if your turkey is frozen):

Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator in its original packaging. Note: this could take a LONG time if your refrigerator is particularly cold.

1-2 days before cooking:

1. Remove the giblets and neck from the turkey. I use them to make a giblet gravy, but I'm not giving away *that* recipe! snooty.gif
  2. *Fully* dry the turkey, inside and out, with as many paper towels as you need to.
  3. Mix two parts of salt to one part sugar. We're going to be making our dry brine with this, so be very liberal with the overall amount on both. We're not trying to pickled the turkey, though!
  4. Generously coat the turkey, inside and out, with the salt/sugar mixture. Pay special attention to the breast area, as this is where the thickest meat is and we really want the salt to work it's magic.
  5. Put the turkey on a tray/pan, and return to the refrigerator to dry-brine. Do this *at least* overnight, up to 2 days.

Day of Cooking:

1. One hour before cooking, remove the turkey from the refrigerator and allow to come up to room temperature.
  2. While the turkey is coming to temp, go ahead and preheat the oven to 425 F/ 225C. You want your oven to be good and evenly-heated, especially if it's an electrical oven as those don't come to temp very quickly.
  3. Cut up your apples, and go ahead and separate your rosemary.
  4. Take two or three sprigs of the rosemary, separate the leaves, and chop them up *very* finely. We're going to be using this for our initial buttering to give it a nice brown skin.
  5. When an hour or so is up, wipe off as much of the salt/sugar mixture as you can from the outside of the turkey.
  6. Stuff the turkey with the apples and rosemary.
  7. Truss the turkey as you'd like. I, personally, don't do the full-fledged version. I just tie the legs together to keep the apples and rosemary in, and tie the wings close to the body to prevent the breasts from drying out.
  8. Soften your butter, add in the finely-chopped rosemary, and some black pepper. Rub this mixture all over the outside of the turkey. You WILL make a mess!
  9. Place your turkey, breast-side DOWN, in a roasting pan, or on a rack that's sitting on a tray. Cooking it hotter on the back will protect the breast meat from drying out, but will also still give it a nice, brown skin.
  10. You're now ready to cook!

Cooking the Damn Thing!

1. With our oven preheated to 425 F, place the turkey right in the middle of the oven.
  2. Bake at 425 F for 30/35 minutes (depending on the size of the bird).
  3. You'll see the skin turn something like a dark khaki, deep golden color. Once this happens (30 minutes or so) take the bird out of the oven.
  4. Being VERY careful, flip the bird on its back. We're going to be baking it at a lower temperature from here on out, so there shouldn't be a need to worry about it overcooking.
  5. LOWER the oven temperature to 325 F.
  6. Place the turkey back in the now-cooler oven.
  7. We're going to be baking it anywhere between two and two and a half additional hours (again, depending on size). This should give us 2 1/2 to 3 hours of total roasting time. In the meantime, we're going to make our glaze.
  8. Mix one part bourbon to one part molasses. You won't need a lot, maybe a cup total. Place in small saucepan on the stove and heat fully. You don't *need* to thicken it (unless using brown sugar), just warm it up until the mixture fully combines.
  9. With 30 minutes remaining in our turkey's roasting, start basting all of the skin you can easily baste, three times total, every ten minutes. Use a silicone food brush for this. The ones with hairs don't ever want to work for me, plus they come off on the bird! The glaze will probably brown really quickly, and will only get extra crispier with continued basting.
  10. The turkey is fully cooked when a thermometer stuck into the thigh and breast reads 165 F. Alternatively, you can poke a small whole in the thighs and breasts...if the juices run clear, the bird is done! To be honest, it's better to run the risk of *under*cooking the turkey than overcooking it because the turkey almost certainly will reach 165 internal temperature from resting.
  11. Remove the turkey from the oven and lightly tent with foil. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes to let the juices redistribute.
  12. Carve, serve, and pig out!

As for a drink pairing, most pair pinot noir with turkey...but I like a good garnacha!

Cigars: because this is part of a MUCH larger meal, I'd go for something rich, but refined. Bolivar Corona Gigantes, hands-down.

post-25065-0-16614700-1450131777_thumb.j

Beef Stroganoff

Ingredients:

- 3 Large pieces rump steak cut thin slices (You can brown the beef strips if you like, I do not) I also use Venison.

- 4 Cloves Garlic (Finely chopped)

- 6 Sprigs Thyme (Or to taste, I add more) - USE MORE THYME WITH VENISON and half cup white wine

- 500 Grams Mushrooms sliced

- 2-3 large onions thinly sliced

- 1 x Zucchini (Yes this is not traditional, but I have kids, they need good food)

- 3 Tablespoons Red Sweet Paprika

- Olive oil (Robs Glob method works best wink.png )

- 2 small tins tomato paste (or aproximately 6 generous tablespoons)

- Good quality beef stock (Enough to cover the meat when in pot)

- Salt and Pepper to taste

- Sour Cream about a half tub (None of that low fat rubbish)

Method:

- Cover the bottom of a large pot with olive oil. Approximately 4-5 globs from the bottle, I NEVER use tablespoons or really any measuring in my recipes.

- Add all the sliced onions and sauté on a low temperature so the onions turn transparent.

- Grate the Zucchini into the onions, continue to Sauté low-medium heat)

- Throw in the garlic, Sweet paprkia, Tomato Paste and Thyme, give it all a stir (Should smell amazing)

- Add the beef rump (Mix all in with the ingredients)

- Add approximately 4-6 cups Beef stock (Preferably warm stock). NOTE: Ensure there is enough stock as later you will add the mushrooms.

- Salt and Pepper to taste and can be adjusted to suit as the cooking continues.

Turn up heat until stock starts to boil and then reduce heat to low and cover pot. Cook for approximately 2 hours and stir every half hour.

- In the last half hour of cooking, add the mushrooms and adjust desired tastes for more salt and pepper, cook remaining half hour uncovered so excess liquid slightly reduces.

- Prepare ("x" amount, dependant of number of people eating) cups Basmati rice with a teaspoon of salt and cook as required. 1 x Cup rice = 1 1/2 cups water.

Once cooked, add half a tub (Or more!!) good quality full fat sour cream and stir through the meat.

Serve on rice and enjoy. peace.gif

This is even better the next day so ensure you have left overs.

PAIR with: A nice bottle of Red and for me something chewy like a Partagas D4/ Bolivar BF/ HÚpmann Mag 48 LE ;)

• Like 1

Chili cheese dog:

1 pack ball park franks

1 can of chili (cheapest is best)

1 pack of shredded cheese (cheddar)

1 white onion

1 pack of hot dog buns

Steps:

1. Microwave hot dogs tell hot

2. Open chili and spoon on hot dog bun

3. Add hot dog to bun

4. Dice onion and add on dog

5. Add shredded cheese on top of onions.

6. Microwace dog to melt cheese

7. Enjoy

Note: best enjoyed after several whiskey diet cokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Chicken a la Guano

2-3 lbs chicken (skinless breasts or thighs)

12 oz small crimini mushrooms

12 oz small peeled carrots

2 tbsp finely chopped shallots

1/2 cup dry white wine

1 cup chicken broth

2 tbsp butter

1 sprig fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dry thyme)

One bay leaf

2 tbsp flour

2 tbsp dijon mustard

Salt and pepper chicken

Melt butter in large sauce pan

Saute chicken parts for 5 minutes or until golden

Turn over and sauté other side 5 minutes or until until golden

Add mushrooms, carrots and shallots. Stir and cook for 5 more minutes

Sprinkle with flour and coat all pieces

Add wine and stir

Add chicken broth, thyme and bay leaf. Stir and simmer for 20 minutes.

Turn off heat and stir in mustard. Don't reheat.

Serve over your choice of capellini, rice or mash

For wine, a nice sauvignon blanc wink.png

After dinner, an H.Upmann #2 with a nice cognac, say Hardy's Napolean.

Bon apetit!

• Like 1

My great-grandmother's Portuguese salad (by way of Macau and HK) recipe:

4 Granny Smith Apples

4 Potatoes

2 Onion

1 Can of Sliced Beetroot (500g)

4 Tomatoes

1 Large Jar of Mayo (750g)

6 Eggs (70g eggs)

1L bottle of White Vinegar

2 tbs sugar

Make sure apples, potatoes and tomatoes are roughly the same size.

1. Peel and boil the potatoes. Dice into roughly 1cm cubes.
  2. Boil eggs and slice
  3. Chop onions into roughly 1/2 cm pieces, add sugar into vinegar and soak onions for 10 minutes. Drain and squeeze out any liquid
  4. Cut tomatoes in half, remove seeds. Dice into roughly same size as potatoes
  5. Dice beetroot roughly same size as potatoes
  6. Remove skin off apples and core. Dice as per potatoes.
  7. Add potatoes, tomatoes, beetroot, onions and apples in a large bowl. Add approx half the mayo and stir until well combined. (amount of mayo used is up to personal preference)
  8. Put egg slices on top and cover with mayo
  9. Put in fridge to chill then serve

Contrary to popular belief, you will win friends with this salad. YMMV.

Beef brisket

1x 9-16lb choice or above brisket,make sure to do the bend test while picking out your cut (hold point end of the brisket the other end should droop a lot, if it stays straight pick another one)

Olive oil

Salt

Pepper

Onion powder

Garlic powder

Coat brisket with olive oils then cover liberally with above ingredients.

Go start your smoker and get her set @ 225F.

Throw a couple chunks of Oak or Hickory in the smoker.

Slap your brisket on. (Fat cap up or down depending on which cult you follow)

Grab a bottle of liquor and several cigars and get drunk as Cooter Brown and pass out, then when you wake up you brisket still won't be done.

You should be at the stall now so wrap the brisket in butchers paper (or foil) and throw it back on the smoker.

Drink some more an smoke another cigar and wait for the magic to happen around 203F when that brisket jiggles like jello and you can slide your thermopen thru it like its butter your ready!

Take brisket off the smoker wrap it up good and put it in a cooler or whatever wrapped in towel to rest for several more hours!

Go drink and smoke some more.

Unwrap and grab the biggest sharpest knife you have, slice that baby up and enjoy!

OPTIONAL!!!

When you pull the brisket off to rest, take the point off the flat and chop it up in chunks then drizzle with the brisket juice in an aluminum pan. Put that back on the smoker to crisp up a little for some burnt ends!

• Like 2

I am going to submit a recipe that you can use to accompany every bit of meat or fish you prepare!

Salsa Verde - the Choose Your Own Adventure version

So, what I do is get a big bunch of herbs, quite a bit, because no matter how much Salsa Verde I have ever made, it nearly always goes too soon.

And the three or four times it hasn't, I have made some toast the next day and used it as a condiment, and each and every time my heart skipped a few beats.
Bear in mind that with the amount of olive oil, lemon and vinegar it will keep for two to three days anyway, and the longer it is in the fridge the better it gets.

1.) So, get 4 (scooped sized, not clenched) handfuls of Parsley, 1 and a half handfuls of Basil, and 1 handfuls Mint.
Sometimes I add a handful of coriander.
One in particular that I trialled recently even had Sawtooth Coriander and I also used Vietnamese Mint rather than normal mint. Simply because I can and my herb garden is better than your herb garden.
But in all honesty there was a big spiders web blocking my access to my normal mint, so I grabbed Vietnamese Mint. I since haven't gone back.
This same Salsa Verde also had a combo of Curley and Flat leaf parsley, and Greek Basil as well as Continental or Italian Basil.

2.) Once chopped, or pulverised, add heaps of Olive Oil. Really good Olive Oil. (Nb:- I chop, as I find it tremendously therapeutic)

3.) Then smash, chop or crush two to three cloves of garlic rather than one. Don't do things by halves.

4.) Optional - I add one red chilli for a fleck of colour and a hint of warmth.

5.) Then add any number of, preferably a dozen, chopped capers (essential).

6.) Then two to three chopped anchovies (sometimes I go with four if I am in the mood)

Next steps do together, or you may go over acidic!

7.) Add a squeeze of lemon juice, taste as you go (my favourite part) and sometimes lemon rind if you can be bothered (I have never been bothered for this)

8.) Add Vinegar, taste as you go. NB: white is traditional, and the one I use the most, but I have used a red wine vinegar recipe and balsamic vinegar also. My latest trend is different Verjus. But whatever tickles your fancy.

NOTES: Some recipes add Dijon Mustard for a tartness level in there also. I have used seeded mustard a couple times too. Works well.
I think preserved lemon rind is in Locatelli's recipe, I am intrigued by what this would achieve.
And sometimes you can add a pinch of sugar or a very small dollop of honey for a slight sweet note if the acid gets out of control, which has happened a few times to me.

This is a comprehensive recipe, with options, since it is a 'choose you own adventure' Salsa Verde.
I have done this simply because, it is more fun, and, it is my favourite thing to eat in the world, as I love acid and herbs and I love anchovies.

Personal Preferences: I find, I will sweeten the Salsa Verde if I am having it with barbecued quail, and other poultry or pork, but leave it hella acid if it's lamb or steak or fish!

If you can get your hands on a Peroni Gran Reserva, then I highly recommend this as both a preparatory drink, and suitable accompaniment prior to switching to something more Instagram worthy.
Just sets the world right.

Suitable Cigars:- Upmann, Partagas or Sancho Panza. The odd Juan Lopez. But they have to be discontinued only.

• Like 2

"PB is hung over" Soba Salmon Noodles

1/2 Cup Rice Vinegar

2 tbs finely grated ginger

1 1/2 tbs soy sauce

2 garlic cloves, crushed (can swap out for 2 tbs minced garlic from a jar)

1 tsp sesame oil

1/4 cup sunflower oil

270gr (1 packet) Soba Noodles

300gr hot smoked salmon fillets, flaked

2 spring onions, sliced thinly on the diagonal

2 tsp toasted sesame seeds

Coriander, to serve

Combine the vinegar, ginger, soy sauce, garlic and sesame oil into a bowl

Slowly whisk in the sunflower oil and set aside (overnight is best, but can be used straight away)

Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and refresh and place in a large bowl

Flake Salmon onto the noodles and add the dressing

Stir/Toss to combine

Divide mixture into bowls and add sesame seeds and Coriander to serve

Serve with a Sweet white wine

Keeps well in the fridge for up to a week

Can be served hot or cold, depending on the weather

This is a crowd pleasing recipe for barbecue sauce that works on all types of meat. Most of my recipes come from friends or family and this is no exception. I first had this barbecue sauce when my uncle made it on chicken and fish and camp. The origins of the recipe are actually from the Kurt Vonnegut book Deadeye ****. This book has several recipes but this is by far my favorite. I usually make a quadruple batch to go with a pig roast. People rave about it and you can never have too much. It also freezes very well if you have excess or want to make the sauce in advance. Here it is the recipe for Mary Hooblers barbecue sauce:

Sauté a cup of chopped onions and three chopped garlic cloves in a quarter of a pound of butter under. Add a half cup of catsup, a quarter cup of brown sugar (dont freak out at the way the sauce looks at this point, the pepper will fix this), a teaspoon of salt, two teaspoons of freshly ground pepper, a dash of Tabasco, a tablespoon of lemon juice or moreto taste (i usually use extra), a teaspoon of basil, and a tablespoon of chilipowder.

Bring to a boil and simmer for five minutes.

There's some great recipes on this thread! Thanks for sharing guys.

• Like 1

All purpose marinade...This works well with pretty much any meat but I like it best with rump steak. My wife enjoys is with pork. I fancy myself in the kitchen but this marinade is dead easy that any once can do it and it will be a crowd pleaser. It is very forgiving and most measurements can be done by sight.

Ingredients

Honey - About a tablespoon or 2

Garlic - 2 or 3 cloves. You can chop it up or simply smash the cloves with the side of your knife

Soy sauce - A good gloop...Maybe quarter of a cup.

Worcestershire sauce - About the same or slightly less than the amount of soy sauce you use

Whole grain mustard - 2 good heaped teaspoons

Brown sugar - 2 good heaped teaspoons

Chilli - Freshly chopped or dried flakes...up to you how much

Pepper

Salt (go easy as some soy sauces can be very salty)

This makes enough for probably 4 or 5 good size steaks.

Method

Mix it all up until it is well combined. Sometimes best to warm the honey in the bowl in the microwave first so it incorporates better.

Pour over the meat and let it marinade for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight.

This works best if you cook the meat on a BBQ/grill as the marinade starts to caramelise or even burn a little which gives good flavour.

With the left over marinade I like to pour it in a pot and let it simmer and reduce while the meat is cooking and pour a bit over the meat before serving.

I have lots of fancy recipes but this one is a "go-to" that will go down well with the masses and can be cooked by even the most amateur cook.

When I've got a whole day to kill (and some money in my pocket) I love to do oven cooked pulled pork

Recipe is below. Its a combination of what I've cobbled together off the internet as well as some help from other BBQ nuts

If you don't have access to a smoker, this one is a winner

Ingredients

• 1 Boston Butt or picnic, about 4-5kg in weight.
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • Liquid Smoke
  • Yellow Mustard
  • Dry Rub, use my recipe or your favourite.

Random Butt Rub Recipe I Got Off a Guy On the Internet:

• 2 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
  • 2 Tablespoon Lemon Pepper Seasoning
  • 2 Tablespoon Paprika
  • 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
  • Place all spices in a jar and shake well. Store any leftovers in a tightly closed jar.

NC Eastern Style Vinegar Based Sauce Recipe I Got Off a Different Guy On The Internet :

• 2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1 Tablespoon favourite hot sauce
  • ½ cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
  • ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • Place all ingredients in a sauce pot and bring to low simmer, let simmer 20 minutes, remove from heat.

Instructions

1. Wash the Boston Butt under cold running water, pat dry with paper towels.
  2. Trim away any excess fat or loose pieces. Do not remove the bottom “fat cap” or skin layer.
  3. Cut out any veins if visible.
  4. Sprinkle on some of the Worcestershire Sauce
  5. Sprinkle on just a little of the Liquid Smoke, not too much.
  6. Rub these two liquids into the meat, getting under any flaps of meat as well.
  7. Spread a layer of mustard over the meat and rub it around to coat all sides.
  8. Sprinkle a light layer of dry rub all over the meat, pat it into the meat with your fingers.
  9. Wrap securely in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or longer.
  10. Preheat oven to 250ºF.
  11. Remove meat from refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap.
  12. Place meat in foil lined shallow roasting pan and place in oven.
  13. After 4 hours, mop on some of the sauce recipe about once each hour until meat is done.
  14. Meat should reach internal temperature of 190ºF to be done. About 1 hour per pound of meat.
  15. Remove from oven, wrap tightly in foil, then wrap in a towel.
  16. Set aside on your counter or, place in cooler and, let rest for one hour.
  17. Pull the meat apart, chop if desired. Add vinegar sauce as desired.
  18. Enjoy!

Notes

Cooking time is based on about 2 hours per KG of meat.

• Like 1

Some awesome recipes so far, and a great idea for a thread Rob!

My favourite simple and tasty recipe:

(Disclaimer - I'm writing this down at work and the recipe is at home, so take the liquid measurements with a grain of salt!)

Beef and asparagus in oyster sauce

600gm sliced eye fillet

2 bunches asparagus sliced into 1/3rds

2 tbs of oyster sauce

2 tbs of mirin or other rice wine

1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (might actually be a 1/4 tsp)

150ml approx. of chicken stock

3 or 4 cloves of garlic sliced finely

a tbs or two of julienned ginger

And a very hot wok!

Mix the oyster sauce, half the mirin and the sesame oil in a non metallic bowl, add the beef in and let it marinate for at least 30mins

To start, stir fry the asparagus for a couple of mins and put aside

Stir fry the beef in batches and put aside

Stir fry the ginger and garlic until it starts smelling delish

Then add the chicken stock and remainder of mirin, and any remaining liquid from the beef marinade

Reduce it down

Then add the beef and asparagus back in to mix all together.

For the rice, I find the best rice to steam is medium grain. And make sure you've rinsed the rice really well first so it's as sticky as it can be after steaming.

I sometimes enjoy this with a rose. And afterwards I'll often break out an Upmann PC or an SD4 while I finish the wine.

This is really easy, really quick and so bloody tasty it's a once a fortnight meal at my place.

The ginger and garlic really make it to be honest.

Coolio.

My family fave dinner main course is Prime Rib, or Standing Rib Roast done on a rotisserie...Couldn't be simpler!

1. find a nice, well marbled, roast with 5-7 ribs (more or less depending upon the size of your gathering.

2. rest the roast for 1-2 hours at room temperature to bring the roast to room temperature.

3. skewer the roast with the rotisserie rod and secure it using the forked pieces, locking it to the rod and test run it on the rotisserie to ensure freedom of movement while turning over the heat. I use an electronic, table top rotisserie which makes this as easy as possible.

4. using a narrow bladed knife, pierce the roast in several places and insert whole garlic cloves into the incisions.

5. coat the entire roast with Dijon mustard. Don't be shy with this...It's VERY good!

6. pack the entire Dijon covered roast in rock salt...cover all of it! The salt will come off before eating, but will make is SOOOO delicious! Pepper can be added at this point as well, but I don't do it.

7. place the roast on the rotisserie and plug it in.

8. I let my roast cook for appx 20 min per pound but I use a thermometer to ensure that it's ready to come off at medium rare (120 deg F)

9. let the roast rest for 20-30 minutes before slicing.

10. scrape the salt off and slice away!

11. Let the feast begin!

If possible, pair this with a good red wine, or nice dark ale, and a full flavored stick like a CoRo

Enjoy fellas!

Baked Salmon Fillets with Garlic and Dijon

Don’t let the idea of baked fish put you off. This is a tried and true—and easy—way to produce remarkable salmon. Sorry but you will need to convert volumes and weights to metric as needed.

Main:

1.5 lbs fresh salmon fillets, cut to individual serving size fillets. This should yield about 4 medium-sized pieces.

Sauce Ingredients:

2 Tbsp Italian (flat-leafed) parsley, freshly chopped
2 large (or 3 small) garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard (such as Grey Poupon)
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 cup light olive oil (100% EVOO may smoke—I have blended lighter oil with EVOO 50/50 and that works)
2 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice

Garnish

Fresh, thinly-sliced lemon rounds—one for each fillet

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 450˚F. This sounds hot, I know. Trust me. Go for it.
  2. Line a thin, rimmed metal baking sheet with foil. If you fail to do this, you will regret it while scrubbing away later.
  3. In a small bowl combine the sauce ingredients listed above. A light whisking with a fork is sufficient.
  4. Place the fillets on the foil-lined baking sheet, skin sides down. Do not crowd them.
  5. Generously brush top and sides of salmon with sauce and top each fillet with one of the lemon rounds.
  6. Bake in the pre-heated 450°F oven for 12 min or until just cooked through. This 12 minute mark works great generally with fillets of an average to slightly full thickness. It will be too long for thinner fillets and maybe a touch short for really thick ones. The nice part about pre-cutting the individual pieces is that you can pull the thinner ones out of the oven ahead of (or add them later than) the thicker ones.

Note: Although I love sushi, I do not aim for partially cooked fish in this dish; nor do I want dry, flaky fish. What I call “done” with salmon is just at the instant it turns from a lox-ish texture to a creamy texture and just turns opaque but still retains moisture and has a loose wiggle to it. The fish will continue to cook slightly out of the oven. Don't over-cook or it will be dry, and all warranties about this being the best salmon you have ever made will be voided. My advice is to test starting at about 10 mins and evaluate from there.

Serve with a tart arugula-based salad for a nutty counterpoint to the fish. A flinty Sancerre completes the scene. Follow up with a smoke on the lighter side, perhaps with a cedar tone—Hoyo des Dieux would be a great choice.

Rob,

I can usually figure out Aussie terms through context. In this thread, for example, the meaning of "Gumbies" was somewhat apparent. And although I think I know what "dab hand" is likely to mean, I was curious about the etymology of "dab", so I dialed up the Australian Slang site on Google and was indelicately informed that "dab" in Australian refers to a crab louse. Discuss.

I've eaten far too many of these over the last 20 years. In terms of simplicity of preparation it's very hard to beat. In terms of taste...well that's arguable though these have gotten better over the years. I've had worse.

post-13652-0-89717800-1450305872_thumb.j

• Like 1